Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone any good with military records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone any good with military records?

OK, I need some help please. I am rubbish at military records.

I have come to the library specifically to access Find My Past as the Black Watch website (https://www.theblackwatch.co.uk/hist...ing-a-soldier/) states that records between 1760-1913 are now online at FMP. But I cannot find my man.

So, what I know about him (I have previously asked for help finding his mum Alice, a thread that ran for 32 pages, so some of this may seem familiar to some of you):

Charles Harry JEPSON, b. 1881 Manchester and was listed in the 1901 census as a Private in the 2nd Royal Highlanders, Montrose, Angus.
    He married in 1901 and is listed as a Bandsman in the Black Watch.

A newspaper article from 1918 states that he deserted in 1905, and I know that he went to the US at that time. (He joined the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra as a French Horn player). I seem to remember, but can't find in my notes, that he may have deserted before (1896/1898? but I can't find the information at the moment)

I have contacted the Black Watch and they have said that they can't help as the records are at Kew and have been digitised.

So, can anyone search better than me, or does anyone have access / knowledge of other sites that may offer information about his military life? I have checked the British Newspaper Archive and all I can find on him is his divorce details.

If anyone else can find anything else, I'd be very grateful.
    :D Charney Jo

Cant see anything on FMP

On Ancestry

Deserted from Aldershot 07/01/1899

Charles H Jepson, 18, b Manchester
    SN 6521 2nd R Highlanders

He enlisted Glasgow 17/11/ 1896

Vera

Comment

Ah, that was it. Thanks Vera. I wonder if I can find anything else for him? Did he go to the Boer War for example?

Comment

Nothing showing for Charles Harry for Boar War on FMP although they do have those records

On Ancestry
        Courts Martial
        03/02/1899
        Found guilty of absence imprisoned 10 ?days
        Ref WO 86/50
        C Jepson 2nd batt R Highlanders

Comment

Did you search the newspapers for just the regiment? That would at least tell you where they were. I have someone in late 1700s and his regiment was in the news, but not him personally, it was the top dogs and the injured/deaths that get a mention.

Have to say it isn't easy as he was in the of 1st battalion of 40th regiment of foot and there were many other 40th regiments!
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks again Vera.

Carolyn, I had a quick look. It’s amazing how quickly 2 hours go at the library! I think I need to go again with just that project. I wonder where he went in 1899?

Comment

did you only have 2 hours to spare, or limited to PC for 2 hours? In both beds and herts you can take your own device and use FMP, BNA and Ancestry for free as long as you are in the building. It is just PCs that are limited.

FMP and BNA you can just use your normal log in and everything is there.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

In 1901 census he is with his regt at the Panmure Barracks, Montrose, Scotland.

Forces War Records not showing any records for Charles H

Vera

Comment

Thanks for the extra checks Vera.

Carolyn, a bit of both. I'm in Oxfordshire and asked if this was possible in our local library last week as I take my son in for Code Club but they use all the computers, But it's not sadly. I did try and can confirm it doesn't work here.

Comment

Is this is him?

UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949
                    Name: C Jepson
                    Service Date: 1899-1902
                    Service Place: South Africa
                    Campaign or Service: South Africa - Second Boer War
                    Regiment or Unit Name: 2nd Battalion The Black Watch
                    Regimental Number: 6521

Medals issued 1 April 1901
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Elaine; 19-03-19, 20:31.
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Oh my gosh Elaine. Yes it is. Thank you. See, I am rubbish at military records!

Comment

Glad I could help
                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                        X