No announcement yet.

Help with the Desbrow brothers - family mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow that was a find, where do you find that info? Only 21 and managed to get to Australia, what a shame that he died so young.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Mainly from the Australian newspapers - Trove - although the BMD indexes confirmed they were both the children of James & Ann Desborough/Desbrow nee King. The Inquest indexes are on the Queensland Government site as downloads. Unfortunately the files themselves are only available to order, but I doubt they'll say much more than the newspapers.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
        Unfortunately the files themselves are only available to order, but I doubt they'll say much more than the newspapers.
        It should have full wittness statements. Which can really be quite interesting should you be able to read the writing.

Comment

Great work there Teasie!.. maybe we should change your name to Ferret? :Wink:
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

What happened to Uncle Charles? - Disappeared in 1901

Hi everyone,

An uncle of mine, Charles Desbrow – Born Abt 1848 in Finchley, Middlesex England joined the Royal Navy in 1873 serving aboard HMS Minotaur for only 4 months before he was discharged. We next see him serving with the Transvaal Artillery in 1878 where he fought during the Zulu War against the baPedi of Sekhukhune, being present at the storming of Sekhukhunes stronghold on the 28th November 1879. Nothing more is heard of Charles until 1900 when he enlisted into C Company of the 2nd Battalion Railway Pioneer Regiment. He served with them for the next year against the Boer forces as well as a spell with the Imperial Bearers Corps being discharged in Cape Town. Charles then disappears from the historical record.

I have searched in vain to find out what happened to him post 1901 - did he stay in Africa or move somewhere else?

If anyone can help it would be fantastic - its something thats plagued my research for a decade!

Kind regards, Daniel.

Comment

have you discounted this one?

1911: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Source Citation
              Class: RG14; Piece: 7157
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The only death I can see in britain after 1901 is Charles Desborough is 1 qtr 1916 born 1848 in W North Witchford Cambridge.
                Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Can you give some detail re Charles' parents please? Would help to eliminate others of similar names/d.o.b

Beverley

Comment

My guess Bev is that this is the family in 1851 and that father James died in 1856 as mother Ann Grace is widowed by 1861. Looking at the likely birth ref the mother was Ann Grace King (just noticed mother in law Mary King with them too).
                    1851 - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=1558
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Here he is on board the Monotaur in 1871 - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=8860
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

there is a lot more information on previous threads

his dob seems a bit moveable, the Minotaur record says Sept 46, gro says 48 M quarter
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                          there is a lot more information on previous threads

his dob seems a bit moveable, the Minotaur record says Sept 46, gro says 48 M quarter
                          I have merged the threads.
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Aah I have just replied with a long post that took ages to compile......and it has fallen through the cracks

Beverley

Comment

OK....trying again.

Recap on former findings.

James DESBROW (1808-1856) mar Ann Grace KING 10 Apr 1836 Hornsey.

Children all born Finchley, father's occupation mostly given as 'bricklayer' or 'labourer' but a couple of records show 'tailor' (not to be confused with James & Ann DESBROW of Yorkshire, also tailor)
                              Issue:
                              Joseph b. 3 Dec 1837 bat.7 Jan 1838 St Mary Finchley, father's occupation=labourer
                              2. Eliza b. 1839
                              3. Ann Grace b.22 May 1841, bap.11 Apr 1841 St Mary Finchley (father's occupation=laborer)
                              4. Daniel b. 21 Dec 1842, bap. 22 Jan 1843 St Mary Finchley
                              5. Peter b.3 Jan 1846, bap 11 Feb 1846 St Mary Finchley (father's occupation =tailor)
                              6. Charles b. 13 Dec 1847, bap 4 Aug 1850 Holy Trinity Finchley (father's occupation =bricklayer)
                              7. John b 9 Jul 1850 bap. 4 Aug 1850 Holy Trinity Finchley (father's occupation =bricklayer)
                              8. James bap. 8 Nov 1853 Holy Trinity Finchley (father's occupation =bricklayer)

1841, mistranscribed on Ancestry as 'Deshone' is James Desboro, 30, tailor, Ann Desboro,35, Joseph Desboro, 3,Eliza Desboro,1, Ann Desboro 3 mnths.
                              I would be very surprised if this was not the same family.

Unless Charles was born uncomfortably close to his brother Peter, I can't see how the birth date given on his enlistment could be correct. I prefer the 13.12.1847 date given on the baptismal entry.
                              I find the change of occupation odd....any thoughts on that?
                              I noticed Charles shows as a cook's mate on 'Minotaur' in 1871. How does this fit with his naval service commencing 1 Jan 1873 on the same ship?

Beverley

Comment

seems odd to have the wrong dob, as he was old enough to join anyway, not sure how the military works - would there be a reason to make yourself older?

I can't find any trace apart from the one Kat found.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

James Desbrough/Desbrow

I have just found this thread thanks to “cbcarolyn”.

A number of years ago now I received via a late aunt (nee Desbrow) in Brisbane a yellowing newspaper cutting relating to the death by drowning in Glengallan Creek nr Warwick Queensland of “a young man named Desborough [sic]”; as related by “teasie” in post #20 of this thread.

This cutting had been passed down through my family but I, and I think my aunt, had no idea of just how this Desborough related to our Desbrows. I must thank “teasie” for clearing up that mystery; for it is clear to me from her research that this report relates to my 2x great-uncle James Desbrow Jr the son of James Desbrow Sr and Anne Grace King of Finchley London.

James was a younger brother of my great-grandfather Joseph. Joseph himself had migrated with his wife and young daughter to Brisbane but returned (with extra infant daughter who died en route) to Finchley in 1861 some 15 years prior to James’ death.

“Macbev” in post #24 lists 8 children of James D. Sr and Ann Grace D. (nee King) but misses Maria, Fanny and Levi who did not survive infancy (and thus the census returns).

Those interested in the ”Finchley Desbrows” might like to consult the thread titled James Desbrow - A Mystery Grandfather initiated by EmpireUmpire elsewhere on this site.

PS If EmpireUmpire reads this would he (Daniel?) please contact me privately via this site (which I have permitted) in order to discuss shared ancestry.

Comment

Working...
                                  X