Thread: Missing parish in Ancestry 1901 census

Missing parish in Ancestry 1901 census

I'm tracing the history of the retirement village where I now live. It's in Middleton St George, County Durham. It was a private lunatic asylum in 1911! But in the 1901 census, Middleton St George parish seems to be missing. Middleton in Teesdale and Middleton (Hartlepool) are there.

Is the parish also missing in the FMP transcription or is it an Ancestry error?
    Uncle John

It's on FMP for baptisms. Just off to check marriages and burials.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I was nosy and thought I would just search in FMP - I don't have a sub. You can see them all there, and then can find someone in Ancestry - I did this and Middleton St George is under Yorkshire....who knew!

I used this person
    Applegarth Caroline Emma 1870
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

The baptisms were under St George. There are 863 of them. Middleton is not mentioned in the search, but when you click on the baptisms for St George the results are clearly for Middleton St George.

There are burials for Middleton, but nothing else stated about the parish. There are none for 1800 +/- 40 years. They seem to be for the 1600s.

There are 638 marriages for Middleton St George. These seem to cover a wide range of date.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I found them under Northumberland and Durham.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:

Thanks folks. I wondered about looking under Yorkshire. The county boundaries have been flexible over the years, despite the River Tees being a useful physical marker. The village is interesting historically as being on the original route of the Stockton & Darlington Railway. My problem was in looking for a building rather than a person.
    Last edited by Uncle John; 15-03-19 at 22:12.
    Uncle John

Update: found it! Middleton Hall is already operating as an asylum. The company which was set up in 1900 is still trading under the same name. Now to go back through the censuses.
    Uncle John