Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing from 1901 census?

Hi all, can anyone help?
    I have been trying to trace my GG Grandfather and have a lot of info but he and his family are not on the 1901 census?
    He should be married with two children because he is in the 1911 census with two children over 10 years old and it states he and his wife have been married for 15 years.
    I have tried searching for all 4 people who should be present but nothing comes back from a worldwide search on Ancestry.com
    The search criteria has been very broad as well as very narrow, but I have found nothing.
    I find it strange that I cannot find any of them?
    Any ideas of where they could be? Or where else I should look?
    Thanks in advance.

can you put the names on here

Comment

Have you tried searching for mis-spelled or mis-transcribed names?

3 suggestions ............

Use the wild card symbol * in place of 1 or more letters ............. eg looking for Johnson, which could be spelled Johnsen, use J*h*s*n. There must be at least 3 letters in the name.

Search for a child using the forename but no surname, date of birth +/-2 years, county of birth, and forenames of mother and father, or just father.

Search on surname only ..... in case only initial letter used for forename
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

also depending where they were born exact birthplace can help with Sylvias suggestions.

try freecen, familysearch and findmypast. it may help you pinpoint details that you can find on ancestry. and there are other places that have odd census too, websites like genuki give info on towns and if they have data records transcribed elsewhere.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks all, I will try.
          He is Charles Ferrey born in Sheffield around 1870.
          Wife is Emily Jane (Cook)
          Children are Millicent Ferrey (1900) and Annie Ferrey 1896

Comment

1901 Sheffield from FMP

If you can't read it because you have no sub will type it up for you
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Name mistranscribed on ancestry ...... I use ancestry.co.uk, looked for Millicent born 1900 +/-2, born Yorkshire, father Cha*

Charles Terrey 31
              Emily J Terrey 32
              Annie Terrey 5
              Millicent Terrey 3/12
              John Wm Morris 36 Boarder
              Theresa Morris 54

You should submit a change to ancestry
              Last edited by Sylvia C; 14-03-19, 18:32.
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Hi, what address is it? I can't believe I can't find it!!??

Comment

see if the link works:

it has been transcribed as Terrey
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Got it. Not sure why that record didn't show up? Ferrey and Terrey are very similar and some of the other alternatives were way off!
                    What are your views on Ancestry.com and Findmypast?

Pros and cons?
                    I have put a lot of work into Ancestry, and would hate to have to start again on Findmypast, unless it is far superior?

Comment

I have both ancestry and FMP ........... I've had ancestry since about 2003/4, and FMP for the last 3 years.

I like both ........... each has records that the other doesn't have, and they have different transcriptions for the censuses, as you have seen above, and the 1939 Register (if you have the correct subscription). I find that there are very different records!

I'm in Canada, but went for the .co.uk version of ancestry and .com.au version for FMP ............ no particular reason, except I have since found .co.uk easier to use for my research than the .com (American) version.

But I also use a lot of free sites, like almost everyone on here ..........

freebmd for births marriages and deaths from July 1 1837 to ca 1998/9.

The new GRO Index has mother's maiden names for births from July 1 1837 to ca 1919 (freebmd has them from mid-1911), and also ages on death records (though they can't distinguish between days, weeks, months or years for children under the age of 12).

FreeReg is a volunteer-run site transcribing Parish Records.

Online Parish Clerks (OPC) is transcribing parish records for the counties ....... it's a work in progress, some counties (eg Lancashire and Cornwall) are well covered, other counties not so well or not at all

Family Search (the Mormon site) of course

In case you don't know, here are the urls for the sites I mentioned. All are free although you may have to register with them .........

freebmd.org.uk

Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

UKBMD Online Parish Clerks Links for Births, Marriages and Deaths Indexes Online. Local BMD Indexes, Family History, Baptisms, Marriages, Burials, Monumental Inscriptions, Civil Registration, GRO Indexes, BMD, BDM, UK 1841 to 1911 censuses. Who Do You Think You Are?

or use county-opc ............ eg http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

Comment

there is a recent thread on this, and in some respects it depends on your area as some have more in a different area

Questions, answers and general information about your family history research.

I use FMP in Herts CC libraries and also The British newspaper archive, and ancestry sub I first subscribed must be 15 years or so ago, I don't renew every time, I then come back after a time. I have the Familytree maker software and this will synch to ancestry and download all of the media, so I have it to keep if no subscription and far less tedious than saving it - which I tried to do in the beginning.

I have downloaded and uploaded my tree into FMP, but have to say the 'hints' are enormous as things like census is different in Ancestry to FMP! tried fixing to no available
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks, very useful stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Wild View Post
                            Got it. Not sure why that record didn't show up? Ferrey and Terrey are very similar and some of the other alternatives were way off!
                            What are your views on Ancestry.com and Findmypast?

Pros and cons?
                            I have put a lot of work into Ancestry, and would hate to have to start again on Findmypast, unless it is far superior?
                            I have been a subscriber to Ancestry for 10+ yrs and love it. I have tried various times to use FMP but find it too confusing. :(
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              I have been a subscriber to Ancestry for 10+ yrs and love it. I have tried various times to use FMP but find it too confusing. :(
                              Ditto
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

and as far as I am aware there is not a 'synch' to an offline product with FMP, which for me is the clincher, I have 100s of images etc that I would not want to download and link manually. But again that is personal preference....my career was in IT - and anything digital/auto is just my kind of thing, and saves hours.

Another site (and I think that Familysearch now have a similar sort of wiki) I have been using for years in genuki - some pages are far better than others, but it can prove useful in linking to various sources like the church, transcribed parish records etc

The latest one I have used is Deceased online (not free to get actual record) - but as yet not found anything that I have not found elsewhere.

also ditto on FMP - too many clicks to add something to my tree...
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

All great advice, thanks.

Comment

I have to admit that I find ancestry easier to use than FMP, but I sometimes wonder if that is just because I've used ancestry for so much longer. But I do like FMP for the other different records that they have, plus of course the Newspapers.

Comment

Shame fmp doesn't do a basic sub plus newspapers. As I am not interested in 1939 reg as that is on ancestry. Might be tempted if they do another offer.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                                        I have to admit that I find ancestry easier to use than FMP, but I sometimes wonder if that is just because I've used ancestry for so much longer. But I do like FMP for the other different records that they have, plus of course the Newspapers.
                                        I subscribed to Ancestry for a few years then went to FMP. It took me a while to get used to it, but I now prefer FMP to Ancestry so I do think it's what you're used to. On the whole, I think transcriptions are better on FMP. However, you do need to check what each site has to offer - Ancestry now has Wiltshire and Somerset images which FMP doesn't have so I'll probably have to go back to Ancestry...
                                        Jenny

Comment

Working...
                                        X