No announcement yet.

Missing from 1901 census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have both at the moment and as Jenny says the transcriptions are often much better on FMP than on Ancestry. It all depends on what you are looking for. I no longer have my tree on FMP because of there being too many hints but that's because they don't recognise what I already have. They cannot recognise from the sources on the gedcom that I already have them from Ancestry so that's annoying. But then that would be the same if I downloaded a tree from FMP and put it up on Ancestry!
    When you are searching you don't have to sift through the rubbish that Ancestry throws at you either. Having said that I couldn't get by without them both at the moment. One day I will have to choose.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I am lucky in that I am old enough, and we have been married long enough, that we have everything we need and don't want too much more .............. so OH offered some years ago to pay for any subscriptions that I need for my "hobby" as birthday, Christmas and anniversary presents. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford FMP World.
      Last edited by Sylvia C; 15-03-19, 19:01.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
        I have both at the moment and as Jenny says the transcriptions are often much better on FMP than on Ancestry. It all depends on what you are looking for. I no longer have my tree on FMP because of there being too many hints but that's because they don't recognise what I already have. They cannot recognise from the sources on the gedcom that I already have them from Ancestry so that's annoying. But then that would be the same if I downloaded a tree from FMP and put it up on Ancestry!
        When you are searching you don't have to sift through the rubbish that Ancestry throws at you either. Having said that I couldn't get by without them both at the moment. One day I will have to choose.
        Exactly the problem I am having - I changed all the residence to census, and it is still full of a shed load of hints I don't want, I was really hoping it would highlight the areas that FMP has data that ancestry doesn't but just not as simple as that! I also have a lot in my tree where I don't bother to find all the records if they are out on a branch - just BMD, so
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

What would you all say about buying Family Tree software?
          Thinking about it, but not sure if it's worth it or not, or indeed which is best.

Comment

I have Roots magic and I have family tree maker. Both are good - and can produce reports etc easy to use, can attach media easy, but the only reason I have family tree maker was it synchs to Ancestry. NB Rootsmagic also synchs (I bought this as Ancestry gave up on FTM and the 'new' people were not up and running at the time) - but be aware you have to say 'yes' to every record single match - so I gave up on it.

I waited until FTM was half price just before Christmas.

If you then decide to leave ancestry, you have everything in your 'possession'. As soon as you do not subscribe you cannot access any media, even if you have visited it before.

Rootsmagic was the first one I bought many many years ago, and I started with a free version, then decided I liked it so paid and they give you a key to unlock it, so all that I had done was there. So worth considering if any others do this.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Wild View Post
              Thinking about it, but not sure if it's worth it or not, or indeed which is best.
              How do you have your tree at the moment? If it is on line, such as on Ancestry, I would very seriously consider getting a program on your computer. What if Ancestry went bust and lost everything? If you have control you can do the backups yourself.
              There are a number of different tree programs. Each have their fans! I use Family Historian as do several others on here. There is a section of this forum about the different programs. Several of them do have a free trial so you can try before you buy.
              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Wild View Post
                For me Family Tree Maker 2017. I have been a FTM user since 1996 and have seen many incarnations if it, I do love the sync feature within FTM as it allows me to search either Ancestry/Familysearch and add it direct to my tree on my computer. If I am working on my computer tree and make a lot of changes I then hit the sync button and it will automatically update my Ancestry tree. Likewise if I am using my Ancestry tree hit the sync button and it will change my computer tree. [[though you do have to be 'sharing/linking' both trees with one another]]

there are free programs out there, Gramps for one, but I didn't really like the format.

I'd say that the top two will be FTM2017 or Family Historian [which I have never used, but some on here do]

There is a FTM2017 for Mac users too.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                  For me Family Tree Maker 2017. I have been a FTM user since 1996 and have seen many incarnations if it, I do love the sync feature within FTM as it allows me to search either Ancestry/Familysearch and add it direct to my tree on my computer. If I am working on my computer tree and make a lot of changes I then hit the sync button and it will automatically update my Ancestry tree. Likewise if I am using my Ancestry tree hit the sync button and it will change my computer tree. [[though you do have to be 'sharing/linking' both trees with one another]]

there are free programs out there, Gramps for one, but I didn't really like the format.

I'd say that the top two will be FTM2017 or Family Historian [which I have never used, but some on here do]

There is a FTM2017 for Mac users too.
                  ditto....I just can't imagine downloading every piece of media and attaching it to everyone manually.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    ditto....I just can't imagine downloading every piece of media and attaching it to everyone manually.
                    oh deffo not for me either, my memory is terrible these days.
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                    X