Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing from 1901 census?

I have both ancestry and FMP ........... I've had ancestry since about 2003/4, and FMP for the last 3 years.

I like both ........... each has records that the other doesn't have, and they have different transcriptions for the censuses, as you have seen above, and the 1939 Register (if you have the correct subscription). I find that there are very different records!

I'm in Canada, but went for the .co.uk version of ancestry and .com.au version for FMP ............ no particular reason, except I have since found .co.uk easier to use for my research than the .com (American) version.

But I also use a lot of free sites, like almost everyone on here ..........

freebmd for births marriages and deaths from July 1 1837 to ca 1998/9.

The new GRO Index has mother's maiden names for births from July 1 1837 to ca 1919 (freebmd has them from mid-1911), and also ages on death records (though they can't distinguish between days, weeks, months or years for children under the age of 12).

FreeReg is a volunteer-run site transcribing Parish Records.

Online Parish Clerks (OPC) is transcribing parish records for the counties ....... it's a work in progress, some counties (eg Lancashire and Cornwall) are well covered, other counties not so well or not at all

Family Search (the Mormon site) of course

In case you don't know, here are the urls for the sites I mentioned. All are free although you may have to register with them .........

freebmd.org.uk

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

https://www.freereg.org.uk/

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/online_parish_clerk

or use county-opc ............ eg http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
    My avatar is my brother, taken about a week before he died in 1990.
    Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

there is a recent thread on this, and in some respects it depends on your area as some have more in a different area

https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...-subscriptions

I use FMP in Herts CC libraries and also The British newspaper archive, and ancestry sub I first subscribed must be 15 years or so ago, I don't renew every time, I then come back after a time. I have the Familytree maker software and this will synch to ancestry and download all of the media, so I have it to keep if no subscription and far less tedious than saving it - which I tried to do in the beginning.

I have downloaded and uploaded my tree into FMP, but have to say the 'hints' are enormous as things like census is different in Ancestry to FMP! tried fixing to no available
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Thanks, very useful stuff!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    Got it. Not sure why that record didn't show up? Ferrey and Terrey are very similar and some of the other alternatives were way off!
    What are your views on Ancestry.com and Findmypast?

Pros and cons?
    I have put a lot of work into Ancestry, and would hate to have to start again on Findmypast, unless it is far superior?
    I have been a subscriber to Ancestry for 10+ yrs and love it. I have tried various times to use FMP but find it too confusing.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

Quote Originally Posted by Darksecretz View Post
    I have been a subscriber to Ancestry for 10+ yrs and love it. I have tried various times to use FMP but find it too confusing.
    Ditto

and as far as I am aware there is not a 'synch' to an offline product with FMP, which for me is the clincher, I have 100s of images etc that I would not want to download and link manually. But again that is personal preference....my career was in IT - and anything digital/auto is just my kind of thing, and saves hours.

Another site (and I think that Familysearch now have a similar sort of wiki) I have been using for years in genuki - some pages are far better than others, but it can prove useful in linking to various sources like the church, transcribed parish records etc

https://www.genuki.org.uk/

The latest one I have used is Deceased online (not free to get actual record) - but as yet not found anything that I have not found elsewhere.

also ditto on FMP - too many clicks to add something to my tree...
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

All great advice, thanks.

I have to admit that I find ancestry easier to use than FMP, but I sometimes wonder if that is just because I've used ancestry for so much longer. But I do like FMP for the other different records that they have, plus of course the Newspapers.
    My avatar is my brother, taken about a week before he died in 1990.
    Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Shame fmp doesn't do a basic sub plus newspapers. As I am not interested in 1939 reg as that is on ancestry. Might be tempted if they do another offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia C View Post
    I have to admit that I find ancestry easier to use than FMP, but I sometimes wonder if that is just because I've used ancestry for so much longer. But I do like FMP for the other different records that they have, plus of course the Newspapers.
    I subscribed to Ancestry for a few years then went to FMP. It took me a while to get used to it, but I now prefer FMP to Ancestry so I do think it's what you're used to. On the whole, I think transcriptions are better on FMP. However, you do need to check what each site has to offer - Ancestry now has Wiltshire and Somerset images which FMP doesn't have so I'll probably have to go back to Ancestry...
    Jenny