Looking for death information - Leonard Edgar Biggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    that is a shame, do you know how far they search? wonder if it has been mistranscribed as something like brigss. I did look at some of them, but nothing looked obvious.
    They looked 2 years either side of 1922. If you mean how far geographically or name wise, not sure.

Comment

you dont think maybe he hadn't died then? its been known

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        you dont think maybe he hadn't died then? its been known
        Certainly an option isn't it. He was listed on my grandfathers birth certificate as deceased, in August 1922. You're right though, he may have just moved/disappeared or something. I haven't found any evidence of that though, either.

Comment

I've been looking all evening and not found anything yet.

Comment

It's certainly strange. I wonder if he died in an institution and somehow missed being registered. Have you tried contacting Birmingham Archives? They would be able to tell you which institutions accepted epileptic patients in that area in 1920s. You wouldn't be able to see any records (100 year rule) but an archivist may be able search on your behalf.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi Kat, no I haven’t tried that yet. I wasn’t really sure what I was looking for. I’ll try and get in touch with them and see if they can recommend anything. I didn’t think they’d be willing to look up archives without paid requests.

Comment

Can you look at these army records think its him?? first one definitely is, says 13 pages, although am not sure they are all him ??? if it is it says he is repatriating to Canada
                Last edited by Guest; 21-03-19, 00:46.

Comment

dont think those pages are him but another man

Comment

Yeah, I believe I looked at these. I think I found a letter that talked about different family members to the ones I was after.

Comment

There were two Asylums in Birmingham - All Saints and Rubery Hill. The latter built an extension for those patients who were not likely to be cured. Not sure if a person suffering from epilepsy would meet that criteria. Unfortunately at the beginning of WW1 Hollymoor Hospital was taken over by the Military and in patients at the time transferred to Asylums across the West Midlands.

I note that on many occasions Leonard Edgar signed up for various Regiments only for his epilepsy to be discovered and for him to be discharged unfit medically.

Vera
                      Last edited by vera2013; 21-03-19, 07:34.

Comment

Hi Vera, thanks for the additional information. More avenues to try and follow up on.. I'll see what I can find, though I don't expect to resolve much. Could it it be possible he joined some other war unit and records were destroyed? Seems a long shot, but the institution thing just doesn't feel right, though I'll try and dig into it as much as I can.

I'd seen the many army enrollments.. and the subsequent discharge papers. I did find this snippet in some post-war editorial which is interesting though.. note it mentions though he couldn't travel, he was still involved throughout the war?? https://imgur.com/PTDZNhN

Lee

Comment

Where did you find that snippet, Lee? What year was it published?
                          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Seems strange he was discharged unfit in 1915.
                            I note one army record has him diagnosed as having chronic lead poisoning and attacks of syncope which fits with his job as a painter and some scarring of the kidneys. So not a physically fit man.

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 21-03-19, 09:40.

Comment

Thinking out loud on the logic...

the reg office should have the best transcribed record as this is the first time it has been 'documented', the GRO are transcriptions of transcriptions, so errors will creep in.

It seems it would be impossible to not register the death otherwise no burial would be allowed.

I am not sure if it is possible for a certificate to not make an index at all, they are prenumbered and 'audited'

If he was ill he could have gone to a hospital/institution and death registered there, are there nearby places that are in another reg district?

the person registering the death may get details wrong.

Name could be wrong on certificate

the death in 1922 may not be right, but there is no obvious death at anytime as far as I can see on GRO

so there is a possibility that 2 of these things have gone have happened.

We can only presume the reg office looked for Biggs only and maybe not Briggs? there is one on GRO for that date, but age only 33,

his burial or cremation should be documented, but maybe not on line? nothing on deceased on line.
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 21-03-19, 09:45.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I did also wondered if his names were muddled on the index, but have not seen anything obvious, tried edgar as surname.

Do you know which is their local church?
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                  https://www.countyasylums.co.uk/hollymoor-birmingham/

There were two Asylums in Birmingham - All Saints and Rubery Hill. The latter built an extension for those patients who were not likely to be cured. Not sure if a person suffering from epilepsy would meet that criteria. Unfortunately at the beginning of WW1 Hollymoor Hospital was taken over by the Military and in patients at the time transferred to Asylums across the West Midlands.

I note that on many occasions Leonard Edgar signed up for various Regiments only for his epilepsy to be discovered and for him to be discharged unfit medically.

Vera
                                  Thats interesting Vera maybe he did re-join, and get away with it

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                    Where did you find that snippet, Lee? What year was it published?
                                    I can see it on FMP and Ancestry National Roll of the Great War 1914-1818. L E Biggs

Apparently info could be submitted by families or soldiers themselves and not verified.

The military records on two occasions state permanently unfit for home/foreign/war service

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                      Seems strange he was discharged unfit in 1915.
                                      I note one army record has him diagnosed as having chronic lead poisoning and attacks of syncope which fits with his job as a painter and some scarring of the kidneys. So not a physically fit man.

Vera
                                      Hi Vera, could you link that record? I'm not sure I noticed that previously, but you may just be better at reading that handwriting than me

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                        Thinking out loud on the logic...

the reg office should have the best transcribed record as this is the first time it has been 'documented', the GRO are transcriptions of transcriptions, so errors will creep in.

It seems it would be impossible to not register the death otherwise no burial would be allowed.

I am not sure if it is possible for a certificate to not make an index at all, they are prenumbered and 'audited'

If he was ill he could have gone to a hospital/institution and death registered there, are there nearby places that are in another reg district?

the person registering the death may get details wrong.

Name could be wrong on certificate

the death in 1922 may not be right, but there is no obvious death at anytime as far as I can see on GRO

so there is a possibility that 2 of these things have gone have happened.

We can only presume the reg office looked for Biggs only and maybe not Briggs? there is one on GRO for that date, but age only 33,

his burial or cremation should be documented, but maybe not on line? nothing on deceased on line.
                                        So many things that could have happened. If the death happened at an institute/hospital, were they not required to register this with the register office still? I've checked GRO for all sorts of combinations and names, but really, if it's wrong on the certificate, it could be anything :(

Other than Birmingham, I guess the other likely places would be Uxbridge/Bucks/Kensington, but again would be assuming a mistranscribed GRO entry. I guess I could apply for a death cert from them as I did for Birmingham and see if they come back with anything (easy way to throw $ down the drain )

Comment

Originally posted by pearlyred View Post
                                          Hi Vera, could you link that record? I'm not sure I noticed that previously, but you may just be better at reading that handwriting than me

Bottom of page 3

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                          X