Searching by Address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching by Address?

Just out of intrest I wanted to find out who lived in my old house which was a school house. I know who was there from when it was built in 1898 upto 1915 and in 1939 but is there any way online to find who lived in the intervening years and up till 1980?

When did it cease to be a school house? If it was the house of the head teacher, school records (e.g log book) may help. I was going to add "newspapers" for tracking change of teacher, but you won't find many online post c1950.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
      When did it cease to be a school house? If it was the house of the head teacher, school records (e.g log book) may help. I was going to add "newspapers" for tracking change of teacher, but you won't find many online post c1950.

Jay
      It ceased being the school house in 2003 and was the Caretakers house not the headteachers. All records/logbooks etc went to the local history center when the school converted to an academy. The LHC is closed at the moment due to moving.

Comment

I did a bit of research for a friend of mine. I did the census up to 1911, so sounds like you have this covered.

I then managed to find reg of electors, I used a combination of ancestry, and findmypast. I don't subscribe to FMP, but use it as a search then found records on Ancestry, it has better searching for address. Use the keywords in Ancestry. FMP has address boxes on some records - not sure which now.

Some areas have reg electors every year - other not so much!

I also searched in the British Newspaper archive and found the auction details, and a few other snippets of its life.

Your local library may have any/all of the above for free if you don't subscribe.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

The library local to the house may have lists of the Electoral Rolls. That's probably your best bet. Ancestry and FMP do have some Electoral Rolls but not complete and not for all areas. Also I'm not sure if you can search them by address, rather than surname of the occupant. You would be able to search by address at the library.
          Anne

Comment

The library can have out of print books too, such as publications by local historians, so I would go and have a mooch.

If the electoral roll is there and has been transcribed correctly - keyword should work on ancestry. I did this for my friends house "lodge piece" and found lots of them, then selected 1930s on the census filter, no idea why they have all those dates - as it gives you all electoral role census.

Was able then to follow names for each year. I guess it depends on the name of road or house as to whether it will work.

house search.JPG
            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 11-03-19, 16:50.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Carolyn, Ancestry have a good collection of Beds Electoral Rolls but don't have every county and not the more recent dates. (Ha! Its about the only thing they do have for Bedfordshire! LOL)
              Anne
              Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 11-03-19, 20:47.

Comment

I have managed to find some info from FMP but as has been said it is very bitty as to what is avaliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                  Carolyn, Ancestry have a good collection of Beds Electoral Rolls but don't have every county and not the more recent dates. (Ha! Its about the only thing they do have for Bedfordshire! LOL)
                  Anne
                  I don't have any relatives in Bedfordshire really, just a very small period in Henlow, so not really aware what they have. Although Ampthill is lucky with local historian that has done a lot of work in the town, and documented a short history about many of the buildings in the town. I learnt yesterday he had logged every monumental inscription in the church and indexed it too! I need to find some good OCR software to see if it can be easily digitised.

Ancestry has a lot of London electoral rolls as I have quite a few on there.

I was given a book about tracing the history of your house will flick through it to see if it gives any handy hints. so you are only interested from 1920s to present day? really only 2003 and on - which is harder to find on line anyway?
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

No one has mentioned the land registry. That will only tell you who owned it of course, not who actually lived there. 192 might tell you who lived there.

OC

Comment

Working...
                    X