Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 20 Children born 11 died

1911 20 Children born 11 died

Is anybody game for finding some of the children? Think I have 17 so far and 8 had died by 1911

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...86/edit/record

Shall list what I have tomorrow if anybody is bored enough thanks

Val

Val ............ did you try GRO Index????
    My avatar is my brother, taken about a week before he died in 1990.
    Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

I have come to the conclusion with a few of mine that they included miscarriages in their total. There are just a few of mine, with large families that I have failed to find all the total on the GRO index with mmn that they claim. It is possible some were mistranscribed, I guess, although I have tried to be inventive with searches. Either that or they were very bad at maths!
    Anne

yes Sylvia but maybe as Anne says they were miscarriages? she also only baptised one or two which is annoying and odd.

Val

I have a newspaper article about a distant twiglet who was interviewed about his life at the age of 80. He says

"We had 20 or 21 children, I misremember exactly". As his recall was excellent for other things, I took it to mean that after a certain number of children you start to lose count!

OC

One of my ladies had at least 20 children, whom I managed to trace through village parish records. For one that I know of there was a burial record, but neither a corresponding baptism record nor birth and death registrations. I've always thought it was probably a child who lived for a matter of hours or even minutes?? So, it might be worth your while looking for bp & burial records as well as GRO registrations. Although a lot of your lot were London based, I think, so PR searches may be impractical

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

were the ones you found in the same reg district - or all over? Have you searched on GRO by district? and mother name?
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Thanks OC, Carolyn and Janet this family are a nightmare, comes to that most of mine are.

I have searched on the GRO and found some odd records, will explain later.
    Last edited by Val wish Id never started; 11-03-19 at 14:56. Reason: missed two replies

Val

blast been double checking and seems I have the wrong birth reg for most, same names same years but wrong maiden name for mother ,in fact looks like they never registered them ? I know its the right children though.

Val

OH's gt gt grandparents definitely had 20 children over 28 years from 1832 to 1860, all lived to adulthood, all born after July 1 1837 were registered, all were baptised and the Parish Records are online.

However, OH's father, and the few other descendants from that family all had a saying ..........

"They had 20 children twice", and when everyone stopped gasping, they would laugh and add ........... "20 born, 1 died, and had another one to bring the number back to 20"

I've tried and tried to confirm this.

We have a large elaborate hand written "sampler" (don't know what to call it as it isn't embroidered) listing parents names and the 20 children in birth order. No other name on there.

No birth registration or baptism

It is possible that a baby was still-born, but as the family was religious, I strongly suspect that whoever helped deliver such a child would have said the child took 2 breaths and conducted a "home baptism" so that it could be buried in one of the family graves.

Difficulty ............ "20 children born twice, 1 died and they had another" is fine except there is not much time between number 18 19 or 20, unless mother pregnant almost immediately after losing the child. A miscarriage is the single possibility.

The one oddity is that the first 19 children all have only one forename, number 20 was given 3 names and one of those names was Vicesima. No-one else had such an unusual name either!

I didn't do Latin, someone told me that Vicesima meant 21 in the Bible, but I can only find definitions of it meaning 20.

I sometimes wonder whether they decided Vicesima would be the last one, and they gave her the 2 remaining girls names that they had waiting.

OH's father knew child number 19, who didn't die until about 1938, so he could have the story from her, and there are at least 2 other descendants of other siblings who have the same story ............. so what is the truth??

The parents died 6 weeks apart when Vicesima was about 6 years old, mother of heart failure and father of liver failure.
    My avatar is my brother, taken about a week before he died in 1990.
    Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.