No announcement yet.

1911 20 Children born 11 died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry must have missed that, would Elizabeth Mary Underhill be a person of interest, or could just be anyone taking charge living nearby.

4 Oct 1878 school reports state "mother in the house"
    Dec 1868 in 113 Spa Road
    2 May 1879 "Mother in the house"
    Feb 1870 to July 1871 40 Bermondsey Square

school admissions and discharges as follows
    11 Jan 1881 transferred from elsewhere I think
    25 May 1881 discharged to mother parish St Georges
    26 Sep 1884 transferred from another establishment
    7 Mar 1885 transferred from another school
    13 Mar 1886 transferred from another school
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I wonder was Mrs Elizabeth Richards living at 113 Spa Rd 1868. Is she Elizabeth Mary Underhill? Off on a tangent I go. Back on possiby another child.

So mother in the house when children at school. Will check Creed registers.

Vera

Comment

Thanks so much Carolyn and Vera, I was a but miffed there is no mention of suspicion of his death, looks like Elizabeth died in 1875 , am wondering now how many of her children died of neglect

Comment

should have said Elizabeth Underhill died in 1875 not my Elizabeth.

Comment

Looks like the children were possibly abandoned. Following on from Carolyn's leads. Never knew you could get the admissions to schools up that way.

These are a couple I have browsed but not adding much other than Elizabeth's names and the fact that she was in the house and that the records show there is no address for the parents.

Page 53 extra record for George

Baptism of a Sarah Knight could be yours. Likely prior to her being employed.

Cant find Elizabeth in the house

Will try to find at least some discharge details but think that is a browse

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 27-03-19, 14:51.

Comment

Never any mention of the father, wonder if that is kind of the 'done thing' if the mother is alive? and never any address, even if father has one.

Vera - interesting - why would you need to be baptised before work, something I didn't know, or maybe increases their chance of getting work? Like having a good reference? Looks like the school organises it all.
              sad that they didn't even know the parents names.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Many employers would not take people who had not been baptised into the established church. Religious prejudice in other words.

OC

Comment

It figures, but never realised. Another thing learnt, good to know. I guess some children may be baptised twice, if they have been abandoned by parents as no one aware if they had been baptised in the first place.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Some of mine were definitely bptised twice, once as nonconformists, later as C of E, which they never ever attended!

OC

Comment

You are good thanks so much, I really appreciate your help, it took me years to find the deaths of some of my Knights ,looks like these will be the same.
                      I started out just wanting the direct line, but am finding them all so interesting to research.

Comment

Not sure if I missed it, but do you know what happened to Sarah? census/marriage/death?
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

not really , did wonder if this is her in 1891 ?

Comment

I would think it likely as her childhood is linked with St Georges as she probably has no family to tell her where she was 'born'.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

there is this death, not sure if we found before:

I think there are other Sarah Louisa Knight about though.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

thats the problem, it seems to have been a popular choice of names. Thanks for that link I'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X