Cullen family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cullen family

Hello everyone, I was wondering where I should be looking, groups/sites etc, for the burial information or grave records for ancestors in Armagh. My 3x grandmother Ann Jane Cullen nee Frazer, died 1906 or 1908 and was living in Richill Armagh at the time or Ahorey. Her husband, my 3x grandfather William Cullen died in 1911 in Ahorey. Where might I start to look for where they were buried, churchyards or cemeteries, I am not sure where to look. Any ideas/help will be greatly appreciated. kind regards from Heather

This is the site you want. Their deaths are both there.

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.
    Glen

Comment

thank you

Comment

Sorry, didn't read your query properly - you wanted burials. Elwyn will probably come along & help you.
        Glen

Comment

thank you

Comment

Looking at your Cullen family in the 1901 census I see they were Presbyterian. Aghorey is in Kilmore parish so I’d start with churchyards in that general area. There are 3 Presbyterian churches in the parish: Ahorey, Richill & Vinecash. However many Presbyterians were buried in Church of Ireland graveyards too. They are used by all denominations. Many Presbyterian churches didn’t have a graveyard and so families often used the Church of Ireland instead. There are churches at The Diamond, Kilmore, Mulavilly, St Saviour’s and Richill.

I’d start with Ahorey Presbyterian since that’s in the townland where the family lived and I know it has a graveyard.

Unfortunately Presbyterians were not normally in the habit of keeping burial records so there’s unlikely to be records in any of those churches as to whether your ancestors are buried there. Another thing to note is that not everyone could afford a gravestone. Your ancestors were linen weavers, so not very well off, and may have been buried without a gravestone.

If the family had lived in the area for generations they are probably buried locally but if they had moved there for work reasons, there might be a family plot where they used to live. That can be difficult to find without some clues.

You could search the Belfast Newsletter to see if there is a funeral notice for either of them. That often mentions where a burial is to take place. Custom in Ireland is to bury 3 days after death (even today). So you should look at the editions on the 2 days immediately after the death. The Newsletter is on-line on Ancestry and some pay to view sites.

Some of the gravestone transcriptions in that area may be on-line on some of the pay to view sites but they are unlikely to all be on-line and there’s often no substitute to going round on foot.

According to the Ulster Historical Foundation site there are the following graveyards in the area:

Bottlehill CI CI Kilmore Mulladry H975508
            Ahorey Pres PR Kilmore Ahory H982460
            Richhill Pres PR Kilmore Richhill H944478
            Mullavilly RC RC Kilmore Tamnaghvelton
            Richhill Quaker SF Kilmore Richhill
            Kilmore MX Kilmore Kilmore H942511
            Money MX Kilmore Money
            Vinecash Pres PR Kilmore Ballintaggart H974529?
            CI = Church of Ireland, PR = Presbyterian, RC = Roman Catholic, SF = Quaker, MX = mixed.
            Last edited by Elwyn; 05-03-19, 08:39.
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Working...
            X