No announcement yet.

I'm still searching for Pamela Kirk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again Sylvia. When I did the blanket searches which included variables, it did throw up some initials only results, some of which were without year of birth, or place of birth etc. Nothing significant stood out. Of course the success of any search is reliant upon the information given at the time and we've all come across scenarios where incorrect data has been submitted or recorded.

Anne thank you for your contribution. This extended family has some of the most interesting people in my whole tree, but also some who have been the most difficult to trace. Pamela's mother was one of fourteen siblings who all reached adulthood and it's been a fascinating journey, over the years, tracing and recording their lives. You're right, not many Pamelas around, so in theory, she should be easy to trace. Pamela's eldest half-sister named her first daughter Pamela - that Pamela also had a short life - married young, had a baby but both mother and child died.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

fascinating to see the baptisms on same page. You have traced each of the mothers siblings and found the census for each of them? Sounds like you have covered all angles, Poor Pam - where did she go.

Was it actually possible to avoid registering a death in those early days? women I guess are always harder as they change their name, even if they don't marry. So did you say her husband remarried?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Husband seems to have remarried after he came out of Norwich jail; Norwich 1863 Q3 to Sarah Buck/Elizabeth Lock. In subsequent census returns (and yet another court case) Henry was with wife SARAH, so I guess he married Sarah Lock.
        In 1861 census he was recorded in Norwich jail and said he was born in Scottow and was SINGLE - hence me thinking Pamela may well have died by then. Technically all deaths should have been registered at that time; also I would have expected to find a burial. However, as yet I have never been able to find a possible burial record in Norfolk. On the whole, this extended family seemed to stick together and to support each other in times of need - unfortunately images of a lot of the Norfolk burial registers for this period are no longer available online.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I wonder how Henry described himself on his marriage certificate to Sarah Buck???
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
            I wonder how Henry described himself on his marriage certificate to Sarah Buck???
            that was what I was thinking was he widowed.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Just for your info re death registration. Yes, they all should have been registered but my ggg grandfather's death wasn't. He died in 1863 at an advanced age. I know when and where because he was buried in the place he had lived for the previous 50 years. There is definitely no death registration, though.
              Anne

Comment

have you seen this site
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

You know maybe she just changed her name and disappeared rather than stay with him? I have a whole family change their names so as not to be associated with a criminal

Comment

Sylvia and Caroyln, I'm not sure that William was a truthful man :( and so I don't think the Henry Dix & Sarah marriage cert would be particularly useful. Even if it says widower, that might not have been correct, and even if it was, it wouldn't indicate when or where Pamela died. I had hoped that finding a death registration could indicate which area of Norfolk Pamela was living in - her home stamping ground was Erpingham reg dist, Henry served 9 months in Norwich jail and if she'd gone to live with his family, it would have been Aylsham reg dist.
                    Carolyn, thank you for the Norfolk gravestone link - however the site only records gravestones, whereas burial registers record ALL graves. The stone used in graveyards in the coastal areas of north Norfolk did not weather well (many were sandstone which is soft) and by the 1980's, when I last went on gravestone hunts in the area, many inscriptions were totally unreadable, and of course not all families erected stone grave markers. Disappointingly I only found 1920's and later stones for members of the families I am researching. I have read quite a lot of burial registers at the record office, but obviously my tree has grown a lot since then and I need to do updates.

I think Pamela may have to go back into the pending file.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks Val. I would have hoped that even with a change of name searching by pob and yob +/- 2/5 would have thrown up some possibilities. IF she remained in Norfolk, it was quite sparsely populated, only 3 large towns and nothing like searching the London area.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

...poor Pamela, pending once again.

Like you say William would have lied to say he was free to marry, if indeed she had not died. but if he said he was single then it may mean that she didn't die, but still doesn't help you find her, so can see it brings no value.

I did glance at a few of the texts and could see that a lot were recent, but thought it might be another way if you were lucky.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                        X