No announcement yet.

Bennett/Dixon/Gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More info from Cliff, but not helping our end of the tree, but thought Kathy would like it to carry on her research...

As you can see I am having trouble myself, and The Rogue that is Joshua 1713-1801 was my direct ancestor. I can only link the younger Joshua 1743 or 44 ish Dixon. by proximity to Downton, His occupation as a Publican of some description, the same name, And The Humbys of both Downton, and Cranbourne, Plus having with his wife Frances 1746 Humby, having daughters Betty and Mary Anne baptised in Downton in 1787. And Joshua Dixon senior , having with his second wife Amelia Lush married 1780. two sons John and George Dixon. So all in all, The 1744 Joshua Dixon has son John 1773 and Daughter Elizabeth ( Betty ) 1787 in common . Probably a coincidence, but you never know.

Regarding William Harborne/Harbone 1805 ish Terrill. I tracked him through his baptism in St Botolphs, Bishopsgate, London. Father a William Terrill wife Ann. And His death in Salisbury in 1849. Having trouble to see in what way he links to David 1780-1862 Feltham of Coombe Bissett, who I note seems to have a William Terrill in his household in the 1841 Census, William being aged 9yrs. and in the 1851 has morphed into William Feltham Terrill, aged 18yrs, and in 1861 is a Corn Merchant aged 28, Living close to David Feltham whose elder half sister Mary 1769 Feltham has died in 1856. William Feltham Terrill having married a Sarah Flower in 1857. And his birth date and place such as to make him a son of the William Harborne Terrill that married an Ann Bennett in Salisbury in 1832.

Then I noticed that there was an appeal for funds to support the six Orphan Children of William Harborne Terrill. In particular two of his 4 daughters. The article was unfortunately slightly small , and so I found it difficult to make out all the details. But I could see that there was a list of all those that had donated to the Fund. Then it struck me why just the 2 daughters?. Because his 2 sons were catered for already, and maybe 2 of the other daughters as well. By being adopted. So William 1832/33 Terrill becomes the William Terrill in David Feltham's Household in the 1841 Census, and William Feltham Terrill by 1851, and so forth, being buried in Coombe Bissett in the yr 1891 or 1892. He'd been adopted by David Feltham and his wife Mary Ann ?????.

I have yet to see the direct connection between David and Mary Ann Dixon. Apart from the fact that they appear to be first cousins via their Mothers. Mary 1745 Humby, and Frances 1746 Humby evidently according to others, both daughters of a David circa 1701 Humby, who was originally from Downton, but went off to Cranbourne Dorset, married a Mary Sanders. And had his last 4 children baptised there in Cranbourne, Dorset ( Now you are going to tell me that William Feltham Terrill was not adopted by David 1780-1962 and wife Mary Anne Feltham nee likely to be Dixon.. The first David Feltham born in Coombe after his parents marriage there in 1778, in 1779 died say 1779 according to FMP. So as both had the same parents and there was not one in 1782/3. I think that when he died David Feltham was two yrs older than stated on his burial record. Both the Davids were sons of the David Feltham 1735 . Who married his first wife Mary there in 1766, on her demise in 1776. He married his second Wife named Mary. A Mary 1745 Humby of Cranbourne in 1778, and it was her that was the mother of the 2 Davids of 1779 and 1780 Feltham. Along with their father David 1735 Feltham. Regards Cliff.

ps,
    I was told that about 1840 the precursor Magazine to today's Magazine the LADY, did an article on Joshua Dixon the man of 3 Centuries. Based on an interview in the yr 1825, that a reporter had had with the supposed eldest daughter of Joshua. ( No Name given ). In this article she says that her father often boasted that in his lifetime he had drunk over 2,000 gallons of Brandy, and numerous other Spirits plus untold amounts of Ale.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• He will love that snip about Joshua!
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

• Looks like he has done a lot of research, but its the terrill line he has an interest, so only gone off at a tangent on the Dixons :(
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• I have had contact with someone else on Ancestry, and all seems to make sense. Aldbury is just down the road from Dunstable and also Hemel Hempstead. I had been puzzling over Alderbury and knew it was not Bucks

"Think I am getting there, so thought to share so you too can help me???

Eliza Bennett (Sperring married) put into census Bucks, then something mistaken as Alderbury. Which has sent everyone struggling, always looking at Alderbury, Wilts where many of this family ended up. Just outside Salisbury.

However I find there is no no Alderbury Bucks. But on the Bucks/Hertfordshire border there is Aldbury!!
          If you then search Aldbury, Hertfordshire you will find
          ELIZA BENNET baptised 25/6/1809 Aldbury, Hertfordshire
          Father John Bennet
          Mother Eliza Bennet ( believe nee Dixon)
          You will also find
          FANNY BENNET
          born 4 Oct 1807 Aldbury, Hertfordshire
          father John Bennet
          mother Eliza

All done via Countess of Huntingdons connection

Then you will find ANN BENNET
          born 4/10/1807 (Ann and Fanny are twins)??
          born Aldbury, Hertfordshire
          father John Bennet
          mother Eliza Bennet

What I am having trouble with is finding the last sister Sarah who I believe married someone called Gates, as mentioned in the Feltham will."
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 13-03-19, 15:11.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

• What about this as a possible marriage for Sarah?
            Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

Married later on, but guess possible. Same church as Eliza.

Should be able to find her in 1841 and 1851 census, but sadly I can't.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by Elaine View Post
              Was it Charlotte Warne that reported Fanny Bennett's death?
              yes she did report the death, she was the occupier of 1 Palace Place, St Martin in the fields and Charlotte was will Fanny when she died. Fanny was her housekeeper

Comment

• got a bit caught up with this what about

Name: Sarah Bennett
                Baptism Date: 18 Sep 1818
                Baptism Place: Dunstable, Bedford, England
                Father: John Bennett
                Mother: Eliza
                FHL Film Number: 826469

Then all the census records are there with children

Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  I have had contact with someone else on Ancestry, and all seems to make sense. Aldbury is just down the road from Dunstable and also Hemel Hempstead. I had been puzzling over Alderbury and knew it was not Bucks

"Think I am getting there, so thought to share so you too can help me???

Eliza Bennett (Sperring married) put into census Bucks, then something mistaken as Alderbury. Which has sent everyone struggling, always looking at Alderbury, Wilts where many of this family ended up. Just outside Salisbury.

However I find there is no no Alderbury Bucks. But on the Bucks/Hertfordshire border there is Aldbury!!
                  If you then search Aldbury, Hertfordshire you will find
                  ELIZA BENNET baptised 25/6/1809 Aldbury, Hertfordshire
                  Father John Bennet
                  Mother Eliza Bennet ( believe nee Dixon)
                  You will also find
                  FANNY BENNET
                  born 4 Oct 1807 Aldbury, Hertfordshire
                  father John Bennet
                  mother Eliza

All done via Countess of Huntingdons connection

Then you will find ANN BENNET
                  born 4/10/1807 (Ann and Fanny are twins)??
                  born Aldbury, Hertfordshire
                  father John Bennet
                  mother Eliza Bennet

What I am having trouble with is finding the last sister Sarah who I believe married someone called Gates, as mentioned in the Feltham will."
                  thats amazing find after all this time!!

Comment

• Well done you and here's the marriage
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Elaine; 13-03-19, 19:57.
                    Elaine

Comment

• Another thread where the marriage is Sept 14, the date I got married.
                      Elaine

Comment

• Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                        Well done you and here's the marriage
                        I guess it is all correct? Just a big gap with Sarah, but all seems to fit. Not managed to find anything out about John, no deaths, no will and no birth. Interesting that he is a victualler also. No death for Elizabeth either. Maybe as they are now in Dunstable records are missing - Library not re opening for months!

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                        Another thread where the marriage is Sept 14, the date I got married.
                        Must be just the right time to get married, wonder if it was a Saturday.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

• I was just trying to look for the Bennetts, will keep looking to see if we can pinpoint them
                          Elaine

Comment

• I did find this, could be her. John could have died in Dunstable, and then she moved back to Herts - Hemel.

1939 Pigots Eliza Bennett Hemel.JPG

Ancestry has these directories - but their search is rubbish. I thought if John was a victualler he would be somewhere in a paper or a directory.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

• So did I and I couldn't find anything. Am being cautious as she is very much Elizabeth on the baptisms and where is brother John Dixon? Am still a little stuck on commiting to the Sarah Gates we have. I wonder if there is more on Eliza Sperring's death cert, other than that am not finding a whole lot to go on.
                              Last edited by Elaine; 14-03-19, 20:27.
                              Elaine

Comment

• I agree I would like to see something more concrete, it fits, but a large gap between births, I did try and see if there were any other born.

I was also plotting the timeline of the Bennett girls and the Dixons and where they were living to see if it works.....but not sure I achieved anything. a proper puzzle
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

• I have added all of Cliff's replies as an attachment in word
                                  cliff emails.docx

Or PDF, thought it was better than a very long post on here. Nothing to pinpoint the areas of the tree we have been working on, mainly older ancestors.

cliff emails.pdf
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

• Might have a clue! searching Dixon and found Jolhua (transcription)

Salisbury and Winchester Journal 07 December 1767
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Elaine; 15-03-19, 20:33.
                                    Elaine

Comment

• There's another advert 1768
                                      Attached Files
                                      Elaine

Comment

• I found that today at the library, but couldn't decide if it was our Joshua, but I guess it must be. found other dixons with pubs in Romsey, sadly no Bennet
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

• i notice that there are some burials in Hemel Hempstead

BENNETT, ELIZA 63
                                          GRO Reference: 1849 S Quarter in HEMEL HEMPSTED Volume 06 Page 359
                                          and also a burial record on FMP, it could be her?

also this on FMP

Bennett John 1781 1823 1823 National Burial Index For England & Wales Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X