No announcement yet.

Bennett/Dixon/Gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• they all must have had a bit of money - wonder where it all came from, she must have got it from husband, as her mother still alive. She left money to all her cousins

I did find a few other wills, but they were just the templates that you buy, so no mention of anyone apart for next in line. Hadn't found this one, good find.

we have seen someone from Wallop mentioned can't remember who or where.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• With all these fantastic finds in the rest of the family tree, why is it that we haven't been able to find a marriage for Elizabeth Dixon & Mr Bennett and bapt for their children Ann, Eliza, Fanny & Sarah??? is it because Elizabeth & Mr Bennett were NOT married?? and so their children could not be bapt OR was Mr Bennett from a different faith??
      Its all a bit frustrating dont you think??

Comment

• Having now seen the memorial for Ann and David, would have thought there would be something for Frances. Have no idea about John Dixon either, son of Frances.
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

• I suppose we don't know if Elizabeth moved away, and could be in an area that where records are not transcribed.

How did you come by the memorial in the church - have you been? are there more?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Didn't think of looking at the church website - they have some PDFs of all the names in the church, no Dixons or Bennetts just the Felthams.

Nice website with some pictures of days gone by
            These files are taken from pages recorded some time ago. They are not up to date. Click on the links to see the file. Inside Coombe Bissett Church Coombe Bissett Churchyard Homington Church - inside...
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by Elaine View Post
              Having now seen the memorial for Ann and David, would have thought there would be something for Frances. Have no idea about John Dixon either, son of Frances.
              there were other names i believe on the tomb but unable to read them as its very worn away on the other side, and unable to upload it to this site for you all to see. i would have thought the other names were of david feltham parents as i beleive money was left in the will to clean up the tomb

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                I suppose we don't know if Elizabeth moved away, and could be in an area that where records are not transcribed.

How did you come by the memorial in the church - have you been? are there more?
                my sister lives in Fordinbridge not far away and she kindly went at the weekend, search for a tomb in the graveyard for quite sometime and then whet into the church and found the plaque

she didnt find anymore, but i hope to investigate a bit more when i go and visit

Comment

• the link on previous posts shows them all, so guess your sister won't find any more.

Was trying to see if I could find anymore about the Elizabeth and Sperring - but have failed. Just on an 'interest' I found this about Bristol and wondered if that is why she was living there. No idea why they would have married in Hemel Hempstead...only 10 miles from Dunstable I guess.
                  Asian and Black history in Britain, 1500-1850. This resource has been archived as the interactive parts no longer work. You can still use the rest of it for information, tasks or research. Please note that it has not been updated since its creation in 2004. Go to Black presence   You can find more content […]
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

• I think we have all done the best with records online and David's will was a big help, I think there is more in Hampshire and Bedfordshire but haven't found anything online to help. I would have thought we would find something of Joshua but I'm not having any luck, I wonder where the Dixon's are buried?
                    Last edited by Elaine; 12-03-19, 19:36.
                    Elaine

Comment

• I have had contact from someone on ancestry with the following. I have replied and explained that we have been doing the tree on here for Karen
                      'If I might politely tell you that on his Marriage Licence dated the 27/6/1741. He Joshua Dixon is aged 28 yrs , ie, Born/Baptised in 1713. Now despite his Headstone saying that he was aged 103 yrs when he was buried in 1801. He was aged 87 to 88 yrs. Of his first marriage to Margery Yates of Milford, Salisbury, he being a Farmer of Woodfalls, Downton. His children were Jenny ( Jane ) Dixon baptised circa 1742, No record of this Baptism. But on her marriage by Licence in Downton in the yr 1762 to a Samuel 1741 Spratt, she is down as a Spinster of Downton, aged 20 yrs. Then there is the Joshua Dixon who in Broad Chalk, Wilts some say 5 miles to the west of Downton. He married a Frances 1746 Humby of Cranbourne in Broad Chalk in the yr 1769. He as the notes say being aged 25 yrs in 1769, and a Victualler ( Publican ) ( I'm told that her father David Humby circa 1701, was originally from Downton, Wilts, then went to Cranbourne, Dorset where he married a Mary Sanders. So Joshua Dixon the younger can be linked to the Dixon Family in Downton, Especially as he and Frances have both their daughters Betty and Mary Anne Baptised in Downton in the yr 1787. Then abt 1745 a James Dixon is Baptised, then a Sarah in 1747, and finally Elizabeth ( Betty ) Dixon in 1748, And possibly a Thomas 1750-1750 Dixon. In the baptismal records the Surnames are given as either Dickason, or
                      Dickson, not Dixon. No Baptismal records for the apparent eldest Jenny 1742, and Joshua 1743 or 44 Dixon. James 1745 Dixon will marry two wives, both named Ann , and is buried in Britford. One of his sister Jenny's sons is named James Spratt after her younger brother about 1773, Sarah gets married too, I can not remember who to. and Elizabeth 1748 as Betty Dixon is to marry a Gentleman in 1771 a William Warne, the Bondholder of the Licence is an Innholder of Salisbury ( a Publican ) The Drinks Industry in the form of Victuallers, Innholders, and Brewers are a common link with Joshua 1713-1801 Dixon of Downton. his eldest child Jenny was to marry a Samuel Spratt of Downton, an Innholder, Joshua 1743 or 44 Dixon was a Victualler, Betty 1748 married William Warne who had links to Innholders in Salisbury, and in 1780 when Joshua 1713-1801 married Amelia Lush as his second wife.one of the Witnesses of the wedding was Joshua's friend a Brewer of ale of Downton. In the records of the Hale Estate, Hampshire. Woodfalls, East Downton finishes right on the Wiltshire/Hampshire, 300 yards away from Woodfalls, and inside Hampshire is Hatchet Green, Hale, where the workers of the Estate lived. One of the Lords of the Manor of the Hale Estate. Wrote a small book about the Hale Estate in which he mentioned Joshua Dixon the man of 3 Centuries. But no one has a copy, and it is now out of print. Regarding Thomas 1750-1750 Dixon, In Salisbury in the yr 1738 a John 1698 Goulding/Golding of Downton was to marry by Licence, a Margaret Yates of Milford. Bondsman of the Licence was a certain Thomas 1715 Carter, a Carpenter/Joiner of Milford, Salisbury. In 1741 in Salisbury when Joshua 1713-1801 Dixon married Margery Yates of Milford, Salisbury, her Bondsman was the same Thomas Carter of her sister Margaret's marriage in 1738. He was the girls Maternal Uncle. I surmise that Thomas 1750-1750 Dixon was named after him Margery's Uncle. I hope that this is of some interest and use to you. Regards Cliff Edwards"
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

I think we have all done the best with records online and David's will was a big help, I think there is more in Hampshire and Bedfordshire but haven't found anything online to help. I would have thought we would find something of Joshua but I'm not having any luck, I wonder where the Dixon's are buried?
                        yes we must have gaps in the on line records, the above post has agreed with my thinking that the baptism records of Betty and Mary Ann Dixon in Downtown are a match.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

• Oh wow that's a lot to take in and digest

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                          I have had contact from someone on ancestry with the following. I have replied and explained that we have been doing the tree on here for Karen
                          '[FONT="]If I might politely tell you that on his Marriage Licence dated the 27/6/1741. He Joshua Dixon is aged 28 yrs , ie, Born/Baptised in 1713. Now despite his Headstone saying that he was aged 103 yrs when he was buried in 1801. He was aged 87 to 88 yrs. Of his first marriage to Margery Yates of Milford, Salisbury, he being a Farmer of Woodfalls, Downton. His children were Jenny ( Jane ) Dixon baptised circa 1742, No record of this Baptism. But on her marriage by Licence in Downton in the yr 1762 to a Samuel 1741 Spratt, she is down as a Spinster of Downton, aged 20 yrs. Then there is the Joshua Dixon who in Broad Chalk, Wilts some say 5 miles to the west of Downton. He married a Frances 1746 Humby of Cranbourne in Broad Chalk in the yr 1769. He as the notes say being aged 25 yrs in 1769, and a Victualler ( Publican ) ( I'm told that her father David Humby circa 1701, was originally from Downton, Wilts, then went to Cranbourne, Dorset where he married a Mary Sanders. So Joshua Dixon the younger can be linked to the Dixon Family in Downton, Especially as he and Frances have both their daughters Betty and Mary Anne Baptised in Downton in the yr 1787. Then abt 1745 a James Dixon is Baptised, then a Sarah in 1747, and finally Elizabeth ( Betty ) Dixon in 1748, And possibly a Thomas 1750-1750 Dixon. In the baptismal records the Surnames are given as either Dickason, or[/FONT]
                          Dickson, not Dixon. No Baptismal records for the apparent eldest Jenny 1742, and Joshua 1743 or 44 Dixon. James 1745 Dixon will marry two wives, both named Ann , and is buried in Britford. One of his sister Jenny's sons is named James Spratt after her younger brother about 1773, Sarah gets married too, I can not remember who to. and Elizabeth 1748 as Betty Dixon is to marry a Gentleman in 1771 a William Warne, the Bondholder of the Licence is an Innholder of Salisbury ( a Publican ) The Drinks Industry in the form of Victuallers, Innholders, and Brewers are a common link with Joshua 1713-1801 Dixon of Downton. his eldest child Jenny was to marry a Samuel Spratt of Downton, an Innholder, Joshua 1743 or 44 Dixon was a Victualler, Betty 1748 married William Warne who had links to Innholders in Salisbury, and in 1780 when Joshua 1713-1801 married Amelia Lush as his second wife.one of the Witnesses of the wedding was Joshua's friend a Brewer of ale of Downton. In the records of the Hale Estate, Hampshire. Woodfalls, East Downton finishes right on the Wiltshire/Hampshire, 300 yards away from Woodfalls, and inside Hampshire is Hatchet Green, Hale, where the workers of the Estate lived. One of the Lords of the Manor of the Hale Estate. Wrote a small book about the Hale Estate in which he mentioned Joshua Dixon the man of 3 Centuries. But no one has a copy, and it is now out of print. Regarding Thomas 1750-1750 Dixon, In Salisbury in the yr 1738 a John 1698 Goulding/Golding of Downton was to marry by Licence, a Margaret Yates of Milford. Bondsman of the Licence was a certain Thomas 1715 Carter, a Carpenter/Joiner of Milford, Salisbury. In 1741 in Salisbury when Joshua 1713-1801 Dixon married Margery Yates of Milford, Salisbury, her Bondsman was the same Thomas Carter of her sister Margaret's marriage in 1738. He was the girls Maternal Uncle. I surmise that Thomas 1750-1750 Dixon was named after him Margery's Uncle. I hope that this is of some interest and use to you. Regards Cliff Edwards"

Comment

• I wanted to double check who Ann Brewer's niece was in the will with regards to Mr Woodlands

Peggy Humby marries Ralph Fanstone 1787 Fanny Dixon is a witness

Peggy Fanstone widow then marries William Woodlands 1800

***if you go back to the Ralph Fanstone marriage, have a look at the marriage above it, David Humby, Fanny Dixon and Peggy Humby are witnesses
                            Last edited by Elaine; 12-03-19, 20:51.
                            Elaine

Comment

• Was it Charlotte Warne that reported Fanny Bennett's death?
                              Elaine

Comment

Was it Charlotte Warne that reported Fanny Bennett's death?
                                Yes - I seemed to remember you found a rate record?
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

I wanted to double check who Ann Brewer's niece was in the will with regards to Mr Woodlands

Peggy Humby marries Ralph Fanstone 1787 Fanny Dixon is a witness

Peggy Fanstone widow then marries William Woodlands 1800

***if you go back to the Ralph Fanstone marriage, have a look at the marriage above it, David Humby, Fanny Dixon and Peggy Humby are witnesses
                                  Why can't we find Fanny looks like she was 'around' and popular. so living in Downton in 1787.

and John Woodlands is a witness here - think I have seen him as Williams brother!
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-03-19, 21:13.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

• This was what I thought after the rate book

I wonder if she is here

Elizabeth Jackson 60
                                    Charlotte Warne 55

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

James Warne 73
                                    Charlotte Warne 65
                                    Elizabeth A Warne
                                    Elizabeth Jackson 70
                                    Harriett Dobbs 37
                                    Eliza Frowen 16
                                    Surrey Marriages Parish Register Transcripts
                                    First name(s) James
                                    Last name Warne
                                    Marriage year 1822
                                    Marriage date 11 Nov 1822
                                    Marriage place Newington St Mary
                                    Spouse's first name(s) Charlotte
                                    Spouse's last name Jackson

There's a will for William Woodlands too, wife Peggy but no extra help for the immediate family we are looking for.
                                    Last edited by Elaine; 12-03-19, 21:18.
                                    Elaine

Comment

• so she would have been born in 1786, could be a child of William, or I suppose a niece. Wonder if he has a will.

Was just looking Downton to see population numbers and stumbled across this https://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/com...tfaq.php?id=37 interesting to see that census missing in areas we are looking. don't think this is a problem as it is christening/marriage we need.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

• when Dunstable library re opens (it has been delayed) I don't mind having a wander over there, there is a nice fabric shop in the town.

Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

• Oh goodie, would love to know who the witnesses were, if any recorded, David Feltham to Mary Ann Dixon.
                                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                          X