X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• picture software

I have a lot of photos in old albums that are falling apart
    I want to scan and save the photos to portable hard drives
    I will also need to restore /fix some of the photos and I would like to name the subjects of the photos
    I have looked at photoshop and consider the monthly subs expensive and if you buy outright its only for 12 months
    I am looking at a free download of nch photo editor software but I cant work out if it will allow me to do what I want
    does anyone have any recommendations for any software that has these capabilities
    brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

I use this, but will be honest not used it in depth, seems to have a few features.

Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows.

it is free.

there is also Gimp, another free one, and that has loads of features for fixing photos, but again never fixed photos. just cropped added text etc
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Apparently GIMP is very similar to Photoshop. I had an old Photoshop 7, bought as a DVD that was brilliant and I used it for a few years. I only took it out because the program was so big that it seemed to be slowing down my computer at the time. I got to be quite a dab hand at removing cracks etc and things I didn't want and filling in backgrounds etc. So I assume GIMP does the same.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Carolyn and chrissie
        thanks for the advise I will look at both programs over the next couple of weeks
        brian
        researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

I have downloaded a copy of paint.net and will test it out
          thanks for the advise
          Brian

Comment

I will say paint is more 'simple' and therefore not as sophisticated, but might do the job. GIMP has loads and loads of features, and therefore more complicated!
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

You can download CS2 for free from Adobe [the newer versions are payg]
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Adobe Photoshop CS2 Links:

Mac: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/...nglish.dmg.bin
                Windows: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/...S2_English.exe
                https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

thank you Carolyn, Julie and grimsqueaker for the suggestions
                  I have tried to do the free downloads for both Gimp and CS2 but have been ubsuccesful
                  I have googled why and the suggestion is that cs2 is only free if you had an earlier version that no longer worked
                  I was able to get paint and will see if it does what I want
                  once again thanks to all who assisted me
                  brian

Comment

Is gimp not free now?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

there is a free GIMP download available but when I run it, it doesn't show on my computer, same with cs2
                      I may have a computer problem which I will try to get sorted in the next few days
                      brian

Comment

Working...
                      X