No announcement yet.

Customs House Officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know the maiden name for your Ellen Hooper.

The maiden name for Ellen Hooper b Ireland according to GRO for children Mary and Patrick
    is Minchene/Minnihan.

So Val's post could be your couple. The mother's maiden name for at least one of the children is also Minihan according to GRO.

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 28-02-19, 16:18.

Comment

May have found a possibility for Stephen William Hooper the eldest son. In 1871 he is with his mother and sisters at Grays Inn Rd, St Pancras RG10 Piece 217 Folio 75 Page 55, listed as Stephen.

In 1881 he is with William, Ellen and siblings at 72 Bemerton Street, Islington and he is a Portmanteau Maker RG 11 Piece 237 Folio 96 Page 56.

In 1901 he is with his wife Eliza and daughter Eliza at 3 Half Moon Crescent, Islington a Portmanteau Maker RG13 Piece 184 Folio 100 Page 14 and he says he is born in Kent

So this is the possible.....In 1861 in Goudhurst, Kent there is a William Stevens Thorn, Grandson, born 1859 Islington and he is a visitor. There is an Emma Thorn an unmarried daughter, dressmaker.
      Head of household John Thorn a farmer and his wife is Mary Ann. RG09 Piece 508 Folio 48 Page 6.

There is a William Steven Thorne registered 1859 Q2 1b 515 Clerkenwell no MMN

William Hooper registered 1874 Q1 1b 56 has MMN Thorne. Unfortunately cannot tie the girls in with MMN Thorne....yet

But maybe...........

Comment

Have you found everything in the tree?

Are you still trying to find info about William Cooper himself and what he did as a job?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I didn't know the maiden name for my Ellen Hooper and the Minchene/Minnihan one did seem to fit the dates, but the Ellen Minnihan who married William Hooper in 1863 was Irish, as was that William Hooper. Here they are in 1891 : https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...=successSource

Thank you

Comment

Yes, would love to know more about William Hooper's actual job

Comment

Wow, terrific find, thank you

Comment

do you have all the census now? I did find this for 1881:
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thank you I'm still wondering where William Hooper was in 1871 and 1861. He's an elusive fellow

Comment

did you have this one for the family without William 1871

343 Grays Inn Road, maybe she was there in 1861
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

what about this:

ooh that is very wrong - but close
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 01-03-19, 12:33.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you for looking - I can't find William in 1851 or 1861 or 1871 - there are a few possibilities in 1841, though that doesn't help a lot.

Now, I also think he might have married a lady called Lucy Webb in 1846 in Reading Berkshire and had another daughter, Rebecca Webb Hooper, born in 1851, died in 1853. Then left her for Caroline Townsend whom he then left for Ellen Thorne. It's all a bit of guess work, but with strong circumstantial evidence.

I wonder what happened to Lucy now

Comment

...busy man...

but no census with Lucy either
                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 01-03-19, 14:06.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

No, he's very elusive. I know what happened to most of his descendants - just can't go backwards yet.

Though have broken down some hefty brick walls recently, with much help

Comment

From The Morning Advertiser 5th January 1872: The Progress of the Smallpox Epidemic.— Last night Dr. Lankester held an inquiry at the Cherry Tree,” Bowling-green-lane, Clerkonwell, touching the death Alice Hooper, aged 10 months, who expired from small-pox without having been medically attended. The evidence of the mother, Ellen Hooper, the wife of gasman, living No. 1, Suffolk-street, Clerkenwell, showed that she attributed the illness of the deceased to attack of chicken-pox. On Sunday last the deceased became worse and a doctor was sent for, but his services, for some reason, could not be obtained. On the following day, a medical man came, but the deceased had expired before his arrival. The deceased had not been vaccinated. Hay, M.R.C.S., said he examined the body of the deceased and considered death was due to small-pox. The deceased was cutting her teeth and, perhaps the attack, which was a mild form of the disease, was accelerated by that and the teething. The Coroner commented in strong terms on the measures resorted to by the authorities to prevent the spread of the disease which he said were insufficient to check its progress. A verdict was returned - "Death from smallpox, accelerated by non-vaccination."

So by 1872 William was a gasman. Wonder where I should look for him on the 1871 census?

Comment

In your first post it says you are looking for William/George Hooper. Why possibly George?
                                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

They moved around a lot because Ellen and her children were at Grays Inn Rd, St Pancras in the 1871 census.

The only Alice Hooper I could find that might fit had the MMN of Bailey and I still can't find birth registrations for her sisters that fit.

I was trying to find Lucy Webb/Hooper in a census, think I found her as a child but not helpful in linking her with William Hooper

Comment

On the Australian records for his sons George and Henry who emigrated to Qld - their marriage certificates and death certificates and so on - he is named as George William Hooper and the eldest son was called George. The man's such a chameleon that we wouldn't be surprised if he had used both or either name. However, everything we have so far found from the UK - census records and his children's christening records - he is plain William. We haven't found a baptism record for him yet though we are pretty sure he was born in Reading Berkshire in 1820/21.

Comment

Sounds a bit like one of my married ins, who was Stephen Gooch for all events whilst he was married to my ancestress's twin. After her death, he married for a second time and morphed into Robert Stephen and then Robert. Luckily for me, at the time of the first census after the second marriage, some of the younger children from the first marriage were with "Robert" and his second wife, along with their half-siblings from the second marriage. When some of the first set of children married, their father was recorded as Robert Stephen on their marriage certs.

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by thomasalbertedward View Post
                                        So by 1872 William was a gasman. Wonder where I should look for him on the 1871 census?
                                        1891 https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...891&h=11869510

William Hooper gas man born 1829 Reading with spouse Jessie?

What year did the sons emigrate to Australia?
                                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

He's one of the most colourful characters we've ever researched and one of the most frustrating - but we're enjoying every minute

Comment

Working...
                                          X