Charley Swift
    Charles Horn
    Emily Horn
    Willie Horn
    Lizzie Horn
    Charles Broad
    Eliza Adams
    Catherine Brooks

And in 1891 - back to being Elizabeth Hooper - because it was more respectable with male boarders in the house?:

Name:
    Elizabeth Hooper
    Relationship:
    Sister
    Birth Year:
    Birth Place:
    Shenley, Buckinghamshire, England
    Civil Parish:
    Hendon
    Residence Place:
    Hendon, Hendon, Middlesex, England
    Sub registration district:
    Hendon
    ED, Institution or Vessel:
    4a
    Neighbors:
    View others on page
    Piece:
    Folio:
    Household Members:
    Name
    Elizabeth Hooper
    Elizabeth Hores
    William Hores
    Jessie Cook
    James Bucknor
    James Edwards
    William Jackson

But after that cannot find a death or another census record under either Swift or Hooper - probably I am missing the obvious, but would really appreciate if someone could check where she might have ended up?

Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by thomasalbertedward View Post
      I haven't got Alice's, but Mary Jane's seems to be a common grave, yes. This is the probate record: https://www.ancestry.com.au/interact...39/edit/record
      so there seems to have been plenty of money?

I wonder if he died at home with Ellen or at Jessie's - we should order the death cert and see who was witness to the death

I can see why the brother John had the money left to him though - If Lucy Webb, let alone Elizabeth Swift, were still alive when William died, then Jessie wasn't legally his wife and under the law would have gotten nothing. I imagine leaving it to brother John was safer - it might also explain why John and Jessie later married - to keep all the money in the family so to speak.
      The money wasn't 'left' to John as such, he was granted Administration, which means that William must have died without leaving a will. It's unlikely that the full probate record will add anything, but if you wanted to you can buy it from here (middle tab): https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#calendar

Comment

• Originally posted by teasie View Post
        The money wasn't 'left' to John as such, he was granted Administration, which means that William must have died without leaving a will. It's unlikely that the full probate record will add anything, but if you wanted to you can buy it from here (middle tab): https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#calendar
        thank you

Comment

• that must have been interesting without a will, how much effort do they have to find the next of kin. Or guess as his 'current' wife was still alive it would have gone to her.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            that must have been interesting without a will, how much effort do they have to find the next of kin. Or guess as his 'current' wife was still alive it would have gone to her.
            I'm not sure, but I did do research on one lady who married in 1888 at the age of 18 - her husband was surnamed Brown and the marriage ended after a few years - no children - then she had a second defacto -again no children - and then a third defacto who she had her only child to in 1912 when she was well in her 40's. Five years later there was a work accident and her son's father died. She attended the inquest as his wife and they would have been living together about 15 years by this time. But on the probate record she is "Ellen Brown, wife of Edwin Brown" - since Edwin Brown was still very much alive, although she hadn't seen him since 1891. She hadn't married any of her defactos, but was still known by her one legal married name. So maybe, the money wouldn't have gone to Jessie or may be she didn't want to run the risk of being charged with bigamy herself? Come to think of it, could you be charged with bigamy if you married a bigamist?

Comment

• Could this be a death for Elizabeth: First name(s) ELIZABETH
              Last name SWIFT
              Gender Female
              Birth day -
              Birth month -
              Birth year 1837
              Age 56
              Death quarter 3
              Death year 1893
              District Pancras
              County London
              Volume 1B
              Page 121
              Country England
              Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                that must have been interesting without a will, how much effort do they have to find the next of kin. Or guess as his 'current' wife was still alive it would have gone to her.
                Originally posted by thomasalbertedward View Post
                So maybe, the money wouldn't have gone to Jessie or may be she didn't want to run the risk of being charged with bigamy herself? Come to think of it, could you be charged with bigamy if you married a bigamist?
                Only the bigamist would have run the risk of being charged, but the marriage would not have been a valid one in the eyes of the law so if William & Jessie married whilst William had a legal wife still living, Jessie would not inherit. Similarly, William's surviving children would have no legal right to inherit either, as they were all illegitimate.

John, as legal next of kin, was therefore the correct person to apply for Probate and should have distributed the estate amongst William's siblings, although I'm not sure whether his sister's (if any) would have been entitled to an equal share. Whether John did this, or kept it all for himself & Jessie, I guess we may never know!

I did come across one Probate/Administration where the (married) man in question had changed his name and lived with (but not married) another woman, and this background was detailed in the Probate documents. I'd be surprised if there was this kind of detail in William's probate though, but you never know!

Comment

Working...
                X