• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Just a snippet. Did note previously that the Marylebone record for
    Emma Hooper b 1862 04/08 bap 04/09
    Father William occupation given as Tobacconist
    Ooh, that does put a different spin on things, doesn't it?

It also seems that after the death of William in 1895 his widow, Jessie, married John Hooper in 1896 - presumably John Willats Hooper!

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

Teasle - you can't edit posts until I think until you are 10 days on forum - a bit confusing, or see images big. I did a post when I first joined as thought I was being really stupid.

I think PMs as well.
      Ah, thanks for explaining.

Comment

if not your william, as a definite lack of Hoopers in Berkshire maybe, he could be a cousin, and needs tracing back further.

Does look like he married Jessie. There is a marriage bond that someone has added to Ancestry for the parents her maiden name is Willats

teasle - https://www.familytreeforum.com/show.../120389-Images
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-03-19, 10:23.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Teasle - you can't edit posts until I think until you are 10 days on forum -
          Edits are only available within 10 minutes of the post.

Comment

i see someone has a tree on ancestry that has this william :( https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...6451582/family looks like they have tied together the records.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
              Edits are only available within 10 minutes of the post.
              sorry can see Teasle been a member for more than 10 days was in wrong year!
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

i see someone has a tree on ancestry that has this william :( https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...6451582/family looks like they have tied together the records.
                Yes, I'm not sure how it all ties in yet, but I think there were a few rogues in this bunch

Comment

Interesting though that Jessie is shown as a widow in 1881, yet William didn't die until 1895....

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                    Interesting though that Jessie is shown as a widow in 1881, yet William didn't die until 1895....
                    Yes, we know that "our" William had at least 2 defactos with 2 separate families, one of which he deserted entirely and left destitute. I'm starting to think he was living a double life for most of the time and he could well have married twice as well. Not 100% sure yet, but there is a lot of circumstantial evidence.

Comment

I was wondering if he actually had more than one family going at once. All the more reason for him to have different birth dates.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

I was wondering if he actually had more than one family going at once. All the more reason for him to have different birth dates.
                        If we're right, he had at least 4 partners and about 11 children and about 7 of those grew up and had families. He has countless descendants in Australia.

Comment

Just found another wife from 1859 called Elizabeth. This man was a bit diabolical.

Comment

so do you think he is the same William as the tobacconist family? does it fit?
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

so do you think he is the same William as the tobacconist family? does it fit?
                              yes, I think so - am putting it all together now before I go to bed in Oz, as after midnight here. Will check it all again tomorrow to see how it all hangs together.

Comment

This could be him in 1861 then born Reading 1829 no occupation. Elizabeth born Buckinghamshire
                                Last edited by Katarzyna; 03-03-19, 14:48.
                                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I assume the Elizabeth (Swift) is this one: 28 Dec 1859

Customs house officer - says he is a widower, father William a Tobacconist. St Marks Church in St Pancras
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

HOOPER, WILLIAM mmn SWIFT
                                    GRO Reference: 1861 J Quarter in ISLINGTON Volume 01B Page 223

Name: William Hooper
                                    Record Type: Baptism
                                    Baptism Date: 27 Oct 1861
                                    Baptism Place: Islington Holy Trinity, Islington, England
                                    Father: William Hooper
                                    Mother: Elizabeth Hooper
                                    Father Custom officer clerk
                                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I think there are too many William Hoopers now?

The one to Elizabeth must be the one I found before post 30 https://www.ancestry.com/interactive..._140_142-0360? from Barbados, he too was a civil servant.

There seems to be a William gas fitter and mechanic also, married to Jessie -

but was she then with James Wilat Hooper - A William Hoopers brother.....and in 1911 she is declared as an aunt, so then would mean she was Williams wife. son of tobacconist, so maybe aunt in 1901 just not clear on census.

Wow think there is unravelling to be done.
                                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-03-19, 17:09.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                        If the 1861 Ellen is correct she's at St Stephen's Terrace, Islington West, and in 1861 at 27 Albert Street, Islington West is the following:
                                        William Hooper 32 born Reading. No occupation
                                        Elizabeth Hooper 23 wife

From what I can make out, the two addresses were less than a mile apart.
                                        The 1861 baptism of William Hooper s/o William (Custom Officer Clerk) & Elizabeth at post #77 also gave the address of 27 Albert Street, so we can be confident that this is the same couple.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                          This could be him in 1861 then born Reading 1829 no occupation. Elizabeth born Buckinghamshire
                                          https://www.ancestry.com.au/interact...&usePUBJs=true
                                          Yes, that's him

Comment

Working...
                                          X