subscriptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subscriptions

my ancestry subscription is due to expire in a couple of days. I must say I only took it out to go hand in hand with my DNA results which has been both fun and frustrating and did give me a couple of unexpected connections.
    I have never subscribed to findmypast and just wondering what the merits are of all the subscriptions available. Somebody did mention FMP was good for newspaper cuttings from Kent which is where a lot of my tree grows from.
    Any suggestions or bargains around please?
    I might even give it a miss for a while but will suffer withdrawal symptoms...lol

If you have a library near you...
    FMP is available there, and it works much better than ancestry as you can log into your account...you cannot view the newspapers though it just shows you the search results. - could be worth a visit to see if you even like the product before subscribing.
    BNA are also available in some libraries and you also log into your account - once you have visited a page you can view it at home - so even better.
    Ancestry is a pain in the library as it is just a database for searching and you have to keep entering all your search criteria.

I have subscribed to ancestry first time in a couple of years, I have often taken a break as had found all the records I could. I managed to get a deal as well. I tried FMP on a trial basis, but couldn't warm to the product!
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I've been a subscriber to ancestry for many years, only took out a sub to FMP about 3/4 years ago ..........

now I would not be without both of them!!

They have some of the same records, but they have different transcriptions of censuses, the 1939 Register etc, and you can often find someone on one site but not the other.

But they each have a lot of records that are not on the other!

I have to thank my OH who pays the subs for me as birthday.Christmas/anniversary presents ;)
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
        I've been a subscriber to ancestry for many years, only took out a sub to FMP about 3/4 years ago ..........

now I would not be without both of them!!

They have some of the same records, but they have different transcriptions of censuses, the 1939 Register etc, and you can often find someone on one site but not the other.

But they each have a lot of records that are not on the other!

I have to thank my OH who pays the subs for me as birthday.Christmas/anniversary presents ;)
        Do you keep both your trees on them? or just use one for searching? I uplaaded my to FMP to use in the library, but it has come up with 1000s of hints most of which I have dismissed on Ancestry - and I have no idea how to approach - or just ignore!
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...discount-offer - in case it is useful.

Best bet is to look at their lists and see what they have in the way of parish records. Kent is well represented for PR on FMP. I end up needing both.

FMP has the bonus of the newspapers and 1939 if you get the right level subscription.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have FMP, Ancestry and the British Newspaper site. Used to really enjoy my ciggies and when the doctor "suggested" that I gave up my main source of pleasure, I decided to do something positive and enjoyable for myself with the ash cash. (I swapped one addiction for another :D) I use all three practically every day, for different search topics.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have Ancestry and FMP, which obviously overlap in many ways. However there are parish records on Ancestry which are not on FMP and vice versa. I couldn't be without them both as they each have sets of records I need. FMP has the British newspapers (with the right subscription) which is excellent

They also have the advantage of searching and producing results in different ways so when not finding a census record on one you might find it on the other. FMP has very specific search results, while Ancestry produces a sometimes annoyingly huge number of results.

As I've grown used to the both, and even when working on my tree on Ancestry, I find that I turn to FMP first for searching these days. Having found a census record on FMP I can then usually find it Ancestry even when it didn't show on the initial search.

The cost of having both is still very small compared to travelling from Carlisle to record offices in other parts of the country, which would often need an overnight stay for a comparatively tiny amount of research. I do still travel if necessary though!
              Anne

Comment

so do you all have your tree on both, one or neither?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  Neither - my trees are on my PC only, although most of my research on five lines is plastered all over a series of Ancestry public trees (without the sources or attribution as to where the information came from.)

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                    Neither - my trees are on my PC only, although most of my research on five lines is plastered all over a series of Ancestry public trees (without the sources or attribution as to where the information came from.)

Jay
                    My master tree is on my computer where I have control - I occasionally upload a new version to my website and Ancestry - generally without sources and never notes - which hopefully acts as a magnet for researchers and doubles as the tree for DNA matches.
                    Caroline
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I dont think my library has FMP it does have ancestry which I have used quite often before subscribing

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

I have a small tree on GenesReunited, which is where I started. I have another slightly larger tree on Ancestry, and no tree on FMP

My problem is that those 2 are the only "normal" family trees that I have. My daughter informed me many years ago that she would be interested in family history but "not in a dry tree with just names and dates. I want to KNOW about the people, where and how they lived."

That's what you get for having an anthropologist for a daughter!!

Everything is on my home computer, but in a narrative form. If anyone wants any information from me ......... I carefully question whether there is a connection, but then I have to try to extract the basic information from the narrative!
                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

My sister tested with AncestryDNA & received her results in January 2018, and she had given me access to her matches as I do the research. I have FMP but let my Ancestry sub expire at Christmas, to see how long I could go without it, just using FMP.

In mid January, possibly just more than 12 months after she received her DNA results (I'm not sure what level of subscription came with the DNA test, but she did not renew it), she had an extremely close match on our maternal line & no clues as to who she was. We were unable to view her tree via my sister's log-in & also unable to contact the match via the Ancestry messaging system. That left me no choice, but to renew my subscription using the 50% discount offer mentioned in #5 above by Caroline.

Turns out one of my maternal 1st cousins has a daughter none of the rest of our family knew about.

So just be aware that if you don't renew with Ancestry, you won't be able to contact new DNA matches.

Comment

I have my tree on my computer using Family Historian. I have now put it onto Ancestry and am in the process of going through every person, one by one! I have put it on Ancestry so I can make it public and it will then outlive me.
                            The FMP tree facility cannot be shared or made public, which is why I did not choose that one.

As I mentioned above if I had to choose only one sub it would be FMP because I find the site easier and less annoying to use than Ancestry.
                            Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Vivian View Post
                              So just be aware that if you don't renew with Ancestry, you won't be able to contact new DNA matches.
                              Just to be clear, you CAN contact any new DNA matches without an Ancestry sub.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                                Just to be clear, you CAN contact any new DNA matches without an Ancestry sub.
                                Here is what you can and can't do:

Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                  And to add to that - many of the items on that list marked 'X' with a sub. such as looking at trees, identifying surnames and birth locations can also be done WITHOUT a sub provided the party with the tree invites you to view it (in my experience this is often done).

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                                    I dont think my library has FMP it does have ancestry which I have used quite often before subscribing
                                    Not all do - thought it was worth a check, I am lucky and live near the borders of 2 other libraries, Hertfordshire does have FMP. but Bedfordshire where I live and MK doesn't.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                                      I have a small tree on GenesReunited, which is where I started. I have another slightly larger tree on Ancestry, and no tree on FMP

My problem is that those 2 are the only "normal" family trees that I have. My daughter informed me many years ago that she would be interested in family history but "not in a dry tree with just names and dates. I want to KNOW about the people, where and how they lived."

That's what you get for having an anthropologist for a daughter!!

Everything is on my home computer, but in a narrative form. If anyone wants any information from me ......... I carefully question whether there is a connection, but then I have to try to extract the basic information from the narrative!
                                      yes I want to know more about my people, so am trying to find newspaper clippings and links to others in the tree that can share stories, so I do find Ancestry invaluable, can't imagine not putting it on there and sharing it. I have found Dad's cousins, and some photos, more photos of other 2nd cousins. And also found someone that had a lot of the photos the same as me, that we have deduced who a few of them are. A fab story of an Australian arm and poems that he wrote about the journey, and another arm that went to the goldrush in the US and made over a million. We have all shared stories, and I visited graves in Cornwall and shared.

The hints I also find are worth looking at, although clearly some are wildly wrong. But as new records come along it will alert me to some potential matches.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

There is a 40% discount offer for one month or six months subscription to Findmypast. It expires today (Thursday 28th) - probably midnight GMT.

Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X