Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help pushing back my Cambridgeshire roots a bit further :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help pushing back my Cambridgeshire roots a bit further :)

Hello,

I’ve struggled to get very far back with my Cambridgeshire/Huntingdonshire roots. I’ve had similar problems with my Essex roots, but I’m going to put that in a different thread.

I have dead ends with:

Thomas Beaton and Elizabeth Mason, married in Girton in 1690. Have nothing on them prior to their marriage

Thomas Boon and Martha Sheldrake (widow), married in Ingham, Suffolk in 1694 (both residents of Snailwell). Have nothing on them prior to their marriage

Timothy Burton (made me laugh) and Anne Luke, married in Great Gransden in 1726. Have nothing on them prior to their marriage

Richard Dodson and Elizabeth Stewart, married in Swavesey in 1751. Have nothing on them prior to their marriage

Edward and Elizabeth Goodwin, christening children at St. Botolph’s Church in Cambridge in the early 1700s. Don’t have their marriage or anything on them before that

Henry Murden and Anne Wellington, married in Knapwell in 1694. Have nothing on them prior to their marriage

William Netherwood and Frances Currant, married in Shepreth in 1706. Have nothing on them prior to their marriage

Philip Stockwood and Elizabeth Pickard, married in Swavesey in 1740. Have nothing on them prior to their marriage

If anyone could provide any help that’d be just great! I’d love to push them back a bit further

Adam

Is this your ancestor? Explore genealogy for Frances Currant born 1684 Orwell, Cambridgeshire, England died 1764 Gamlingay, Cambridgeshire, England including research + descendants + more in the free family tree community.

Found this on Frances Currant! Orwell is a mere 3 miles from Shepreth. Plus she would have been exactly 21 or possibly 22 (the age for marriage) in 1706. No mention of any parents though :(

Comment

Having reviewed the microfilm, I cannot see a single christening in 1684, nor in 1683 or 1685.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
        https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Currant-73

Found this on Frances Currant! Orwell is a mere 3 miles from Shepreth. Plus she would have been exactly 21 or possibly 22 (the age for marriage) in 1706. No mention of any parents though :(
        Have you contacted the site manager/contributor?
        He gives a very specific but unsourced date of birth (unusual for this time without a baptism record) but no details of a baptism or parent(s). I also wonder how, without a marriage record, he can be absolutely sure of the birth surname of Frances.
        With regards to omissions on the microfilm, original records did get lost or damaged. Is the film of the original parish register (pages came loose, were ripped out) or of the annual returns - BTs/Ats? These were separate single sheets of paper and it's amazing that so many did survive; however some did go missing over the years.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have contacted him but I am confused also! They were bishop’s transcripts, immaculately kept and written (and remarkably well-preserved), and there was no sign of anyone by that name christened then or any year before or after in that parish. The marriage record from Shepreth in 1706 does give her maiden name as Currant though, so if he can substantiate his claims, given her age (21) and place of birth (3 miles away), it’s highly likely. I await a reply from him.

Comment

The owner of the tree said he got the date from an Ancestry family tree :(

Comment

All I see on that link is marriage date and place unknown, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Marriage at 21/22 - could still have been a widow; I've had that happen at similar ages.

I presume the Ancestry tree also has no sources?

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Nope. This just irritates me so much. Why are people not more thorough? Why does everyone replicate the same incorrect and unsubstantiated information until everyone takes it as fact? I recall one lady who was unwilling to accept the parentage for one of our shared ancestors, despite my possession of his application for the Freedom of the City of London that stated his father’s name! Makes me so cross.

Comment

Take this for example:

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Apparently it took 17 years to bury my ancestor. What utter rubbish.

Comment

I'm always extra suspicious of a marriage at 21. This is the most likely age for an estimate. If they gave their source as 'estimated birth year' it would make it so much clearer! (It can be handy to have some sort of ball park age so, in my opinion, it is OK to estimate so long as you say so).
                    Anne

Comment

Yes, I agree. I don’t use it as proof - for example if there are 7 Mary Smiths christened in one parish, I wouldn’t choose the one who was aged just right. I always try and ensure my research is as watertight as possible, and that every finding is beyond a reasonable doubt (that’s just the lawyer in me). If I’m not sure, chop goes that branch. It means I have a few stumps here and there, but that’s the price I have to pay.

Comment

Working...
                      X