No announcement yet.

GRO PDF - how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No rhyme or reason for the delivery times.
    I ordered another one on Monday morning and it was ready for pick up THIS morning - 48 hours. Yet, when I went into the site to log on, there was a banner flashing the message that customers were experiencing long delays in delivery! Perhaps the Wizard of Oz had been on the night shift doing overtime and took pity on me???

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

mine came yesterday ordered on the 27th so not bad

Comment

Not bad going, Val. Hope they brought you the answers you wanted.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

yes thanks Janet it was two of my Guttentags , still cannot believe I have them, two deaths to go, then I have the whole family.

Comment

I find it quite astonishing that the service from GRO is now worse than before they put the prices up!

How do they justify charging such high prices for a service that is cheaper in every other country?

Comment

Originally posted by HTSCF Fareham View Post
              I find it quite astonishing that the service from GRO is now worse than before they put the prices up!

How do they justify charging such high prices for a service that is cheaper in every other country?
              Brexit! everything is Brexits fault.. :smilee:

that's the excuse they'll give.

Jay was the cert to do with Pamela? [Kirk/Dix]

in all seriousness I have used the PDF service moreso over the last year or so simply because it's cheaper. Yes I know their prices have recently gone up but I did order 5 or 6 before they went up. [and considering that they were my 3x & 4x grandparents I was lucky to pinpoint them] I do need to go through and see which certs I am missing and will then complete the set.

As for the wait, well mixed feelings really yes they could be quicker but when you get the email saying that they are ready on a Sunday kind of makes the wait worthwhile.

I did spot that they said that they were experiencing high amounts of traffic so orders may take a little longer.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                Well, the Wizard of Oz has pulled his levers and it arrived tonight. Wasn't expecting to get a message on a Sunday evening.
                Oh, and it was wrongly transcribed on the new GRO; they have put KirkS, having seen the image, the original is Kirk, with a bit of a fancy flourish on the final letter.

Jay
                I remember asking about the process of all the 'paperwork' at the reg office when I worked at the Council. I was quite astonished at the way that the register is transcribed onto the sheets to send to GRO and then I think there was another process to add to index, and this was fairly recently, I had just assumed that there would be a direct link now. I can't remember about church weddings - maybe they were transcribed from the transcription. Something weird.

A frivolous fact.....I know that for each wedding the church gets a statutory fee of £2 from the Council.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                  Brexit! everything is Brexits fault.. :smilee:

that's the excuse they'll give.

Jay was the cert to do with Pamela? [Kirk/Dix]
                  No Julie, it was the death cert for Pamela's maternal grandmother. I didn't bother with Pamela's birth cert as she was illegitimate and as the bp entry gave details of the reputed father, I thought it probably gave more useful information than would be on the birth certificate. I can't find a likely death cert for Pamela Dix nee Kirk. I must say the new GRO index, with age at death, is extremely useful for sorting out potential deaths from all the possibles in the search results list.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                    No Julie, it was the death cert for Pamela's maternal grandmother. I didn't bother with Pamela's birth cert as she was illegitimate and as the bp entry gave details of the reputed father, I thought it probably gave more useful information than would be on the birth certificate. I can't find a likely death cert for Pamela Dix nee Kirk. I must say the new GRO index, with age at death, is extremely useful for sorting out potential deaths from all the possibles in the search results list.

Jay
                    Ahh I see, I did have another look for her but, like you, cannot spot anything likely! as you say seems very odd that she isn't to be found on the 61 census.

and yes, age at death is a good indicator it has kind of helped me in a few instances, but mainly cross referencing registers/index has helped me no end.
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                    X