No announcement yet.

James Larkam born c1826

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so, according to that will extract ..........

Bartlett Bennett was the "natural son" of Fanny Bennett (deceased), niece of Ann (Bennett) Terrill, and was to have any moneys left in Trust after the Death of William and Ann's eldest son William Feltham Terrill.

It is fair to assume after that finding, that Bartlett's schooling was paid for by the Trustees of William Terrill's will or on his orders.

William Feltham Terrill married Sarah Flower, June quarter 1857 (from Freebmd)

William Feltham Terrill was buried 26 August 1891, age 58, Coombe Bissett

So we now have the explanation of how Bartlett was able to be sent to such a good school

................. and NO relation to Sir William Burnett. That was all a false trail.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I really must sleep, this tree has a lot of records that tie in....and apparently David Feltham got married in Dunstable

Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

William Harbone Terrill and Ann Bennett signed a Marriage Bond in Sarum (Salisbury) on 25 Jan 1832, but FMP only has the transcript not the image

how sad ..............

Googling to try to find the marriage bond, I discovered a reference that said Salisbury had a big Cholera epidemic during July and August 1849, when over 200 people died. 31 people died on Castle Street

The reference then provides a list of ALL the people who died in Salisbury during those 2 months taken from GRO, noting that not all of them died of cholera. William Harbone Terrill is on that list.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          Wow the plot really thickens on this one
          Looks like Ann and William both died and left 6 children. Loads of records and this will

states that Ann is the niece of David Feltham late wife

And Bartlett Bennett is in it too....yay - small extract here - goes over 6 pages and lots are mentioned

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20005[/ATTACH]

see this newspaper

Good detective hunt!
          Could you copied and pasted? as I do t have ancestry and can’t see the document.... it’s all sound terrible exciting

Comment

the will

1860_1861 Will of David FELTHAM.pdf

it might have others mentioned in it like the larkams? and Mary Dixon - I am sure she must be an aunt. and sister or sister in law to David Felthams wife.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
              William Harbone Terrill and Ann Bennett signed a Marriage Bond in Sarum (Salisbury) on 25 Jan 1832, but FMP only has the transcript not the image

how sad ..............

Googling to try to find the marriage bond, I discovered a reference that said Salisbury had a big Cholera epidemic during July and August 1849, when over 200 people died. 31 people died on Castle Street

The reference then provides a list of ALL the people who died in Salisbury during those 2 months taken from GRO, noting that not all of them died of cholera. William Harbone Terrill is on that list.
              that is said, Ann and Fanny dies really close together too, the whole family met with tragedy.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Bartlett Bennett was the "natural son" of Fanny Bennett (deceased), niece of Ann (Bennett) Terrill, and was to have any moneys left in Trust after the Death of William and Ann's eldest son William Feltham Terrill.

It is fair to assume after that finding, that Bartlett's schooling was paid for by the Trustees of William Terrill's will or on his orders.

So we now have the explanation of how Bartlett was able to be sent to such a good school

................. and NO relation to Sir William Burnett. That was all a false trail.
                sorry missed this
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Well done everyone.
                  It appears that Bartlett despite being illegitimate was well loved and cared for by his family - that's really good to know. That didn't happen to many, certainly not to one of mine.
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

sorry just amended my post 50 - you can see the will with Bartlett in it!
                    yes i can thank you

Comment

Wow Wow Wow that is so amazing, i cant thank you enough, all of you x

Comment

how sad ..............

so sad!

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                          Well done everyone.
                          It appears that Bartlett despite being illegitimate was well loved and cared for by his family - that's really good to know. That didn't happen to many, certainly not to one of mine.
                          I am so pleased we as a family continued to use the "Bartlet"t family name down though the generations.....my grandfather Edward Bartlett Taylor, my father * and now my 6 year old nephew *
                          Last edited by Jill on the A272; 23-02-19, 17:00. Reason: names of living people removed

Comment

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR AMAZING RESEARCH, ITS BEEN A WONDERFUL FEW DAYS WATCHING THE STORY UNFOLD OF HOW BARTLETT BENNETT AN ORPHAN WAS ABLE TO HAVE SUCH A PRIVILEGED LIFE AND GO TO COLLEGE AND THEN GO ONTO HAVING A FARM.

One more question if i may to you all.....

Can any one tell me on the 1881 census I have Bartlett Bennett (36) & his wife Letitia (41) and a family of 7 children, occupation Proprietor of Steam Thrashing Machine, registration district Andover

Is there an address of the farm?? i would have liked to find out more about this farm if i can.

Comment

the will

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20006[/ATTACH]

it might have others mentioned in it like the larkams? and Mary Dixon - I am sure she must be an aunt. and sister or sister in law to David Felthams wife.
                              It didnt have Larkam or Dixon mention in the Will, but Bartlett did get all the Silver and silver plate left to him by the late David Feltham.

Comment

no address, the following census he is at manor farm, so it could be the same? and a farm bailliff
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

I think he moved around.
                                  In 1871 he is a farmer living at Red House - Civil Parish Chute Forest - Reg district Hurstbourne Tarrant - Andover
                                  In 1881 he lives at just number 34 in the hamlet of Charlton - Parish of Andover - and owns a Steam Thrashing Machine. There are about 3 farms listed for that area, so he may have worked on all of them.
                                  In 1891 as Carolyn says in Parish of Tangley - Sub district Hurstbourne Tarrant
                                  In 1901 he is living at 44 (Dowley Pelts?) Tangley - and is an engine driver on a farm but it doesn't say which.
                                  In 1911 he is living at Cott Street Farm - Swanmore - Bishops Waltham and is an engine driver on a farm.
                                  Died 1913 Droxford Hampshire.
                                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                    I think he moved around.
                                    In 1871 he is a farmer living at Red House - Civil Parish Chute Forest - Reg district Hurstbourne Tarrant - Andover
                                    In 1881 he lives at just number 34 in the hamlet of Charlton - Parish of Andover - and owns a Steam Thrashing Machine. There are about 3 farms listed for that area, so he may have worked on all of them.
                                    In 1891 as Carolyn says in Parish of Tangley - Sub district Hurstbourne Tarrant
                                    In 1901 he is living at 44 (Dowley Pelts?) Tangley - and is an engine driver on a farm but it doesn't say which.
                                    In 1911 he is living at Cott Street Farm - Swanmore - Bishops Waltham and is an engine driver on a farm.
                                    Died 1913 Droxford Hampshire.
                                    Thanks Chrissie thats brilliant

Comment

just to add

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

England Marriages, 1538–1973
                                      Name: David Feltham
                                      Spouse's Name: Mary Ann Dixon
                                      Event Date: 01 May 1813
                                      Event Place: Dunstable,Bedford,England
                                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Death in the paper 1830
                                        Attached Files
                                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I found that one, interesting as Dunstable was where sister Fanny Dixon also ended up. wonder what the tie up is?
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X