Bartlett Bennett born 1845

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bartlett Bennett born 1845

I’m looking into the family of Bartlett Bennett born 22 February 1845 at 1 Palace Place, Middlesex
    His mother was Fanny Bennett, father unknown. Fanny died in childbirth.
    In the 1851 census I have him living with James Larkam age 25, and Sarah Larkam age 65
    I am trying to find out the connection Bartlett has with the Larkam’s , is James his father??
    In 1861 Bartlett Bennett is age 16 and is going to Queen Wood College, Stockbridge ....who was funding him??
    Can any one help please?

great name - you could try searching on the newspaper archive. I guess the Bartlett name must be a surname in the tree elsewhere, and possibly her family had money.

where have you been looking? I have ancestry subscription, is this where you have already searched?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

You obviously need to trace both Fanny and the Larkham family to see if their paths crossat any point.

But may I suggest that you look at "Bartlett" .............. it could be a surname in Fanny's family, but equally it could just as likely be the name of his father.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Interesting ...

you say Bartlett was born in Middlesex, but his baptism took place in Wiltshire

from ancestry .......

Bartlett Bennett Baptism 20 Apr 1845 Dinton, Wiltshire, England Fanny Bennett

The address for Fanny is given as Combe, Single Woman (died in chidlbirth)

The transcript does show Fanny as Father ...... that's a mistake by the transcriber!

and he is down as Visitor with the Larkams (looks like Mother and Son) in Teffont Magna, Wiltshire. Note that his age is wrong ............. and 6 is a big difference from 9!

James Larkam 25 b.ca 1826, Unmarried, Annuitant
        Sarah Larkam 65 b.ca London, Widow
        Bartlett Bennett 9 b.ca 1842, London, Visitor
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

In 1841, Fanny was living in St Thomas, Wiltshire with a Fanny Dion or Dixon.

Fanny Dion or Dixon 60, b.1781, Wiltshire, Independent
          Fanny Bennetts 30 Not born in County, Independent
          Harriet Abele 15 Female Servant

The ages of people over the age of 15 were generally rounded down to the nearest 5 on the 1841 Census (and on that census only) ...... this means that Fanny Bennett would have been between 26 and 30, or born between 1815 and 1811.

Comment

Hi Carolyn

I hadn't thought of Bartlett being a surname until you've mentioned it.
            The Bartlett name has been passed down through my family as a middle name for generations.
            I'm new to all this so please forgive me but where do I search the newspaper archives, is it on this site or ancestry... I havent subscribe to ancestry.

Kind regards
            Karen

Comment

Hi Sylvia
              Thank you for you reply
              I don't subscribe to ancestry so I can't find Fanny's family. It's definitely a thought that is a family name, because it has continued to be in my family as a boys middle name for generations

Kind regards
              Karen

Comment

This is what has been confusing me
                BB Birth certificate saying 1 Palace Place Charring Cross a prestigious address and the informant Charlotte Warne/r/s
                And then his baptism taking place in Dinton
                What I was trying to find out was why Fanny was living in such a prestigious household ...was she a servant girl for Charlotte and her family...who was Charlotte, who was BB father and more to the point who paid for his education, which I've been told could have been 50 guineas per annum at the Queen Wood College.

Comment

So now that's more confusion, why didn't they put down the place of Fanny's birth? Why put down Not born in county?

Comment

The 1941 Census for place of birth only has y, n, S, I, or F

y = born in the county where living

n = not born in that county

S = born in Scotland

I = born in Ireland

F = born in Foreign Parts

Nor does the 1841 Census give the relationship between people living in the same residence .......... we have to infer for example, that 2 adults and 6 children ligin in the same palce are a family.

In the case of Fanny Dixon and Fanny Bennett, the only information given is they they are both of Independent Means, while Harriet Abele has the letters F.S in the column for Occupation ..... standing for Female Servant.

The puzzle becomes therefore why was Fanny Bennett there? Where she and Fanny Dixon related (eg, aunt and niece)? Could Fanny B in fact be a Companion to Fanny D, ie paid but above Servant level?

As regards Bartlett ....... I suspect that it is an indication as to his father, and the fact that it occurs regularly in your family dates back only to him.

Young women who gave birth to illegitimate babies back then (and through the 19th and very early 20th centuries) quite often gave that child a name that was a hint as to the man responsible.

It's often the only hint that we have as to who might be the father.

Bartlett could have been that man's first name or his surname, and if so, presumably was the Fanny's wish for the name to be given to her child.

As to the address ........... how do you know it was a prestigious address at that time??

Have you checked old maps on Google to see?

It is quite possible that Fanny moved to London when she became pregnant, or was already living there when she met the man. She would then have had to find somewhere to live, as she would have thrown out of the house if employed and made pregnant by husband of the house or a son.

The only hospitals at that time were found in the Workhouses, which always had an infirmary section that was for the inmates but also open to people living in the district.

Many women went to that Infirmary to give birth if they could not give birth at home .............. Fanny would have had to give both the place she was from AND a local address to be admitted.

Comment

It has me intrigued and I had a quick look, I think it says Fanny died in Scotland Yard, St martins in the fields - am I reading that right? I think it was before the old police HQ was there.

The British Newspaper archive is a website - millions of newspapers, you can subscribe, I don;t though. I search keep bookmarks and then look at them in my library as I can log into my account and see for free there.

You can also view Ancestry in lots of libraries, and also find my Past (Ancestry not so good as you can't log into your account, but you can search and download records)

annuitant means that they had means of living without working.
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 21-02-19, 20:26.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

map here
                        MAPCO Map And Plan Collection Online : Mogg's Strangers Guide To London 1834.

followed from this link
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

FindMyPast has the newspapers ........ available to subscribers above a certain level, I believe.

I assume that a library would have a sub to FMP that would allow you to search.

Ancestry has many workhouse records, so it might be possible to find Fanny's admission there.

Comment

According to England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991, found on FMP, Fanny was buried on 9 March 1845 ..........

Fanny Bennett born 1808 Age 37y Buried 09 Mar 1845 Westminster, Middlesex, London,
                            Residence Scotland Yard, St Martin's, London

Comment

NB The FMP is not a full access in our local library, so you can't see the newspapers. but all our libraries have the newspapers
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Karen ..............

does Charlotte Warne/r/s give her relationship to Fanny OR occupation or anything else on that birth certificate?

Comment

The certificate says Charlotte Warne/r/s occupier of 1 Palace Place
                                  And Bartlett born 22 February 1845 at 1 Palace Place
                                  Registered on the 5 March 1845 at St MARTIN in the Fields, sub district of Charing Cross in the county of Middlesex

Comment

the baptism record (must be for him)
                                    Screenshot 2019-02-22 at 13.57.29.png

So safe to assume with the GRO record it Bennett is her maiden name.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Another thought for you ............

Many private schools have always provided bursaries, scholarships or free education for children who fit certain criteria, and always have done.

I searched for the school online last night, and found one reference that it was in fact Quaker. I'll have to see if I can find that reference again.

I wonder if it is possible that they offered such a free education or scholarship, and that Bartlett fit the criteria.

In other words, a school benefactor or a fund set up by such a person was responsible for his education.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                                        Another thought for you ............

Many private schools have always provided bursaries, scholarships or free education for children who fit certain criteria, and always have done.

I searched for the school online last night, and found one reference that it was in fact Quaker. I'll have to see if I can find that reference again.

I wonder if it is possible that they offered such a free education or scholarship, and that Bartlett fit the criteria.

In other words, a school benefactor or a fund set up by such a person was responsible for his education.
                                        That sounds like something to pursue. And back to why he was living with James Larkam
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X