Bartlett Bennett born 1845

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are my thoughts:
    • Pursue the private school angle and see if he was given a bursary.
    • Return to James Larkam and I guess Larkham - and mother Sarah - see below for info I found.
    • Like you originally said there must be a connection as they are so far away.
    • Check all documents again for clues.
    • I would spend a bit of time looking at Teffont Magna, Wiltshire (and maybe Dinton) both seem small and you never know you might stumble across why he was there. https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WIL/TeffontMagna
    • Try and find out what was in Scotland Yard and why Fanny was there.
    • I still think Bartlett must be a surname, and there for a maiden name, but not found anything, could be Fanny's mother maiden name?

Freebmd and freegen are both good sites to try.

Sarah - she appears to be from Marnhall, Dorset. Born 1786
    I found a record that maybe her Sarah Elkins - I have not found a marriage record though.
    I found baptism of James that says his father was Edward.

There is a baptism in Bucknell, Shropshire for a Fanny Bennett 5 Jun 1808, but seem to be in yet another part of the country. Father is Charles mother Mary.

I am sure people on here have some good ideas on the next steps to take, I am learning all the time too.

I use this site for history of places - although quite 'heavy' https://www.british-history.ac.uk
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-02-19, 21:14.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED .........

all the information is on the James Larkam thread, but this is my summary for you

so, according to that will extract ..........

Bartlett Bennett was the "natural son" of Fanny Bennett (deceased), niece of Ann (Bennett) Terrill, and was to have any moneys left in Trust after the Death of William and Ann's eldest son William Feltham Terrill.

It is fair to assume after that finding, that Bartlett's schooling was paid for by the Trustees of William Terrill's will or on his orders.

William Feltham Terrill married Sarah Flower, June quarter 1857 (from Freebmd)

William Feltham Terrill was buried 26 August 1891, age 58, Coombe Bissett

So we now have the explanation of how Bartlett was able to be sent to such a good school

................. and NO relation to Sir William Burnett. That was all a false trail.

Carolyn found a will left by William Harbone Terrill, see the Larkham thread for the link, in which Bartlett is named ................. as the son of Fanny, niece of Terrill's wife Ann Bennett

That is the source of the money ...... and nothing to do with Sir William Burnett.

Now all we have to do is find a Fanny Bennett, probably/possibly born in Berkshire as that is where Ann Bennett seems to have been born.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
      X