Death Certs Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Certs Price

In today's paper it says Funeral Directors have slammed the increase in Death Certs , from £4 to £11? since when were they ever £4.
    The Home Office said, its the first increase since 2010,and Registration Officers have the power, to either waive or reduce fees for hardship cases, as sometimes you can need up to 20 to send to authorities.

If you get a certificate for a current death you could get them at a lower price. I needed several to give to banks etc when my father died. I didn't pay the price we pay for historical ones.
    Anne

Comment

Prior to the price increases yesterday, certificates issued at local registration offices had three different rates.

Certificates issued at the time of registration were £4, those from an open register (i.e. within a month or two of registration) were £7, and any others were £10. Now it appears they are all the standard price of £11 whenever they are issued.

People registering deaths often don't really know how many certificates they will need and probably tend to get too many - the online "Tell us Once" service means far less are needed than was the case. But in my experience, 5 or 6 would the most common number I issued, although 10-12 wasn't unusual, so the rise in cost is substantial. I did once issue 35 certificates when registering a death, and a colleague issued 50.

It applies to births & marriages as well - although most people only get one or two certificates for those.

(I'm not aware of any case where the certificate fee was waived in hardship case - although I don't recall ever being asked to do it either).
      Last edited by AntonyM; 17-02-19, 12:47.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I found quite a lot of institutions (e.g local banks, local authorities etc) were happy to "view" an original death cert and to then make their own photocopy and annotate that they'd seen the original. Anywhere else that needed to have a copy returned it very promptly, so I was able to recycle. Nowadays, they will be able to scan an "original cert" into their records.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I did wonder if you could get one and photocopy it?

Comment

Having worked in the Council I think a lot of people got 10 - nice round number, I remember asking registrar why people ordered so many - having never had to deal personally with a death, she said it is much easier to send them all off at once rather than visit various institutions with it in your hand. Just get all your admin done in one hit.

Big price rise.

Some places want to see original - for any certificate, and then will send it back.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I think I got 12 when my father died, but I needn't have, all were returned very promptly.

Val - most places won't accept a photocopy, it has to be a sealed copy iirc.

OC

Comment

another way of making more money out of you then.

Comment

Not really, a photocopy could be easily forged.

OC

Comment

oh I see do they have special watermarks or something ?

Comment

Yes, an original copy is sealed, i.e. has an impress mark on it and the paper is watermarked too.I

OC

Comment

We have multiple copies of some death certificates ............. eg OH's parents, my father, due to family members ending us one copy, and then finding other copies in files when said family member died and us getting those as well. Heaven knows how many were actually bought!

But we also have at least 6 copies of our marriage certificate ......... the vicar decided that as we were leaving the UK 10 days after marrying, we might need more than the 2 we'd asked for.

It took him ages to complete filling them out in the vestry, as the congregation wondered what had happened to us :D

He also covered all the charges for us as a "gift" to OH (it was his family church).
                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

ah how lovely

Comment

It was good of him, wasn't it?

He was a late-to-the-priesthood man, previously worked for ICI. He retired a few years after he married us ......... and promptly was recruited to Australia to work as a part-time priest in a small community at one end of Port Phillip Bay near Melbourne. It was full of retired people and they figured they only needed a part-time priest!!

His wife had died, so his daughter went down there with him. We met up with him while we were living in Melbourne in 1975/76.

He eventually retired back to England, living near Box Hill in Surrey, and was well over 90 before he died.
                            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                            X