Why do people copy Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people copy Trees

Just been looking at somebody in my tree, and in the hints ,there are no less than 17 people, with the wrong wife and wrong marriage date and area, for him.I know for a fact I'm right.

Val

Because 17 people say the same thing but only you are saying something different, so they must be right and you must be wrong!I

Used to drive me mad but I no longer care.

OC

Comment

To be honest I had the same wrong wife too for ages, till I found one of her sons ,had put her maiden name on a document, when he went to Australia, but shush dont tell the others

Comment

My aim is to put the proof on my tree. That means attaching the documents. If anyone else cares they will discover it and have a think about which is right. If they don't then its their loss not mine!
        Anne

Comment

I have the same problem Val, it then makes me question myself as to whether I have the right information or not!

I know that there are several trees 'out there' that have information that have absolutely NOTHING to do with their tree as they aren't even their natural children.
          I am just slowly progressing and confirming what I have already found. Though my family certainly like to keep me on my toes!!

I also think that there are different 'types' of Family Historians, Those that want a line back to Adam/Eve. Those that want a 'claim to fame'. Those that want a massive tree and coat of arms [cos we all know that the Coat of Arms for the family name is the same eh?? :Wink: ] and then there are those that want to brag/showoff their fantastic skills.

Me? I'm just content to do my tree, follow the branches and twiglets learn the crafts of my forebears get lost in their world and way of life.
          and have something real to pass on when I shuffle off!..
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 17-02-19, 09:36.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I agree with you DS.
            The hobby is the adding the 'leaves to the branches', by finding out the truth of where the people were and what they did, not just gathering as many names as possible.

I have a number of trees on Ancestry that I know have errors in them, as there are connections/dates that have been assumed, but on my FTM database, I clearly mark the information as "ASSUMED based on...….", then work on finding the actual evidence to prove or disprove it.
            Yet many of my known errors are appearing on other's trees, because they just take the information and merge it to theirs.

So Val, yours could be the only correct tree and the others a collection of unchecked merges, where people see the information appears in multiple tree and say to themselves "they all have it, so it must be correct"

My Poole clan in Wiltshire are all supposed to be connected to royalty, because one had a son called Neville and there is a royal connection where Sir Henry Poole married into the Neville family (They are the royal line), where the first name of Neville starts to be used for sons.
            There are dozens of Poole trees out there all linking this to their tree as a fact, but it has never been proved, as there are two generations of 'gap' between my Neville Poole and the last known royal line Neville Poole.
            I have spent years working from my line upwards and the royal line downwards and still cannot find a connection.
            Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 17-02-19, 10:27.

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Trevor

Ha! I had something similar in my family. My father, grandfather and great grandfather all had the middle name Seymour. This came from a Victorian "vanity" genealogy which my great grandfather commissioned in the 1900s. The Seymour name was to denote our descent from Jane Seymour's family. Well, I tried and tried and tried to prove this link but couldn't and eventually left it.

Browsing through a church record - at the back of the register, not in with baptisms marriages and burials - I came across the ceremony of acceptance into the Congregational church of my then adult great grandfather. He took the middle name of Seymour at this ceremony, in honour of his sponsor, Seymour Mead, a well known local grocer at the time! This made me laugh so much. I only wish my dad was still alive so I could tell him!

OC

Comment

Very interesting reading made me laugh OC
                The same people also have the wrong death date and place for one of their sons, reason being his age is way out on the death I found ,but its definitely him ,yet the one they have, left a will, which quite clearly proves its not him.
                I think its as was said ,they are name collectors, I like to follow through too, with anything I can find on them.

Comment

Val you hav my sympathy. I have a niece on Ancestry who has on her tree my mother born in Scptland and my father born in Plymouth and my father dyig in Plymouth with my brother born Ireland and she is wrong on every count including ages! her sons have made the same mistakes and all have DBA tests but they will find nobody with that tree! I have told them all the correct information but nobody takes any notice!

With the DNA I have looked at trees with 10/20 thousand names and cannot find any link yet I have found all my links with those that have the fewest names on their trees and not necessarily have they any documentation!

Janet

Comment

Janet how can you possibly know about your own Mother and Father?? infuriating isn't it?
                    The funniest thing that I found, was when I contacted somebody to tell them, a relative had committed bigamy, with one of Toms Aunts, he was furious, told me he had just started his tree ,and did not want to know that.

Comment

I really need to start writing about my family history as I have found out all sorts of snippets. I have plenty of names dates and places births marriages and deaths etc on line for anybody to see but some of the things I have uncovered need documenting otherwise it will be lost forever. some of the things I cant even remember how I uncovered them but they are all in my head waiting for me to write it down. I did mean to start today but other things always gets in the way

Comment

The best thing is to get it all as a verbal account and then type it up later, at least it is then recorded, otherwise it may never be finished.
                        I'm in the middle of writing up the full family history of the Sussex Pursgloves, but keep getting side tracked.
                        The FTM database I have is already willed to 'The Keep' in Sussex, in case anything happens :-)

Researching:
                        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

My father's family is Cadd, and I've spent a lot of time researching that family very carefully. I have to do it all online but I don't put anything on my tree unless I have the certificates or have found Parish Records or other document(s that prove what I think.

There are literally hundreds of people researching the same family, with people living in England, Australia and the US that I know of ............. every generation seemed to have large families, and they spread over the world.

There was one of the ancestors who married 3 times, 3 children born (2 died) to the first wife, several to the second and a couple to the third.

Unfortunately it is the 3rd wife who appears on censuses with him, and therefore most of those trees accept that all children, including my Dad's direct ancestor, belong to the "one and only" wife.

Wrong ............. we descend from the second wife, and I have all the certificates to prove it.

Very few believe though.

The son of one of my first cousins and myself are busy trying to sort out some of the problems ......... he lives in the UK, goes to the churches, Register Offices, etc etc, and then we confer by email as to what he's found, what it might mean, and where else he/we might look.

No-one has managed to solve the problem of our joint ancestor who appeared fully fledged in 1740 on his marriage day ............ no idea where he was before that!
                          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I do put people in my tree , I am not sure about , but then I try and find records for them, and if nothing matches I then delete them.

Comment

Val ...............

on the copies of my trees that I have on my hard drive, I use colour as indicators of how the names fit into the ancestral line ...........

Pink Bold for the direct ancestral line, both male and female

Blue for siblings and spouses of direct line

Black for "associated" (eg parents of sibling spouses)

Green for "need more research to find more information and how these fit"

It works for me!!!!!!
                              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

sounds sensible Sylvia, I do find it hard to keep everything in its place, I get so excited when I find something, I get carried away.:(

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                                  I really need to start writing about my family history as I have found out all sorts of snippets. I have plenty of names dates and places births marriages and deaths etc on line for anybody to see but some of the things I have uncovered need documenting otherwise it will be lost forever. some of the things I cant even remember how I uncovered them but they are all in my head waiting for me to write it down. I did mean to start today but other things always gets in the way
                                  I can only say do not leave it too late. I have been doing FH for many years and a lot of it is neatly hand written on A4 Sheets, about 40 files of documentation from BMD Certs to History of Villages, Wills, Gamekeepers Docs Settlement Certs and so much more but I am finding it difficult to read my own writing now.

I only started writing it up properly in booklets about 6 years ago. To date I have written 6 Booklet of around 80 pages each but now struggling with eyesight to complete 3 more that I would like to do, so if you do have stories of characters found in your Family Histories do it now, don't wait. I have a wonderful collection of books to help with my FH and I was collecting them to read in my later life, big mistake. One booklet I have just completed about a Great Aunt who appears with all the wrong information on all the Ancestry Trees, I am seriously considering self publishing on Amazon so everybody can see the correct information and help solve a mystery as well. This is a 90 page booklet which I am struggling to proof read.

Janet
                                  Last edited by Janet; 20-02-19, 21:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                    , I do find it hard to keep everything in its place, I get so excited when I find something, I get carried away.:(
                                    Yes It is difficult and I have a few characters on my tree where the notes I have written are full of I think. maybe this is what he/she did and even not sure if this is the correct James but maybe worth looking into so I tend to write prolific notes on my Family Historian Computer Programme rather than put that person on to a definite tree but then I have sometimes gone around the houses so far that I have linked up with the next door neighbour's house! I am not sure there is an answer to your conundrum. This is what keeps your brain ticking over,!!

Janet

Comment

Working...
                                    X