Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering a GRO death PDF

Advice please.
    I'm about to order my first PDF from the GRO. I've found the death in the index and can call up the relevant order form - fine so far! The GRO index and the search form brings up the name of the deceased as Elizabeth KIRKS (Q4 1858 Erpingham reg dist) ref vol 4d p51.
    However, on both FreeBMD and FMP the name is recorded as Elizabeth Kirk (no S) and having viewed the image page on both sites, the record on the original source is quite clearly Kirk and not KirkS.

I don't know how the PDF ordering system works internally at the GRO. My gut instinct is to just go ahead and order the PDF for Elizabeth Kirks - it is the one I want, even though the name has been indexed incorrectly on their site.
    However, I don't want them saying the name on the index and the name on the actual death cert are not the same, so not sending me the PDF but deducting me the £3.50 admin charge.

Anyone had a similar problem and what should I do?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
    Advice please.
    I'm about to order my first PDF from the GRO. I've found the death in the index and can call up the relevant order form - fine so far! The GRO index and the search form brings up the name of the deceased as Elizabeth KIRKS (Q4 1858 Erpingham reg dist) ref vol 4d p51.
    However, on both FreeBMD and FMP the name is recorded as Elizabeth Kirk (no S) and having viewed the image page on both sites, the record on the original source is quite clearly Kirk and not KirkS.

I don't know how the PDF ordering system works internally at the GRO. My gut instinct is to just go ahead and order the PDF for Elizabeth Kirks - it is the one I want, even though the name has been indexed incorrectly on their site.
    However, I don't want them saying the name on the index and the name on the actual death cert are not the same, so not sending me the PDF but deducting me the £3.50 admin charge.

Anyone had a similar problem and what should I do?

Jay
    If it were me, I would just type "Kirk or Kirks" in the surname box. That should cover you, especially as you are supplying the district, year, quarter, volume and page ref.
    Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 16-02-19, 17:42.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

You need to order exactly as it says on the GRO index, Jay.
      Freebmd are from transcripts not from the originals.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you for your responses ladies.

Kat, on both FreeBMD and FMP I was able to see images of the original quarterly index pages - i.e. images of the pages in the big bound volumes I used to be able to consult decades ago at St Catherine's House. This recorded the name as Kirk, which suggests that the new index may be incorrect????
        Or, are you saying that the GRO have scanned all the original certificates, and therefore there must have been an error in the old index, due to a name mistake (Kirks) on the original certificate?

I think I will fill out the request form as KirkS, as per the new index, and then fight my corner if they say they can't supply the PDF, but take £3.50.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 16-02-19, 20:25.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

On the GRO site you just tick the box in the search area and it is automatically filled in for you. No more need to type it all out. If the page and vol numbers are the ones you saw on the image it will be the same one. The GRO indexes were done from a different version of the records. I'm not saying which is correct! LOL
          Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            On the GRO site you just tick the box in the search area and it is automatically filled in for you. No more need to type it all out. If the page and vol numbers are the ones you saw on the image it will be the same one. The GRO indexes were done from a different version of the records. I'm not saying which is correct! LOL
            Anne
            I was going to say the same Anne! when you order PDF's you just click on the PDF bit and everything is filled in for you...

I have been slowly tracking my death certs for my 3x and 4x grt grandparents.. I need a quick reference finder to see whose I have and whose I need.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Anne & Julie.
              I ordered it last night.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                Thank you for your responses ladies.

Kat, on both FreeBMD and FMP I was able to see images of the original quarterly index pages - i.e. images of the pages in the big bound volumes I used to be able to consult decades ago at St Catherine's House. This recorded the name as Kirk, which suggests that the new index may be incorrect????
                Or, are you saying that the GRO have scanned all the original certificates, and therefore there must have been an error in the old index, due to a name mistake (Kirks) on the original certificate?

I think I will fill out the request form as KirkS, as per the new index, and then fight my corner if they say they can't supply the PDF, but take £3.50.

Jay
                Yes Jay they are transcribed differently -New GRO Historical indexes are from original registers whereas Freebmd, etc are from transcriptions of those indexes.(ie those big bound books at St Catherine's house!) That's why some are having problems finding corresponding people within the two indexes. Mistakes in the transcriptions are to be found on both sides as both are indexes.
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-02-19, 10:52.
                Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                  -New GRO Historical indexes are from original registers
                  GRO don't have any original BMD registers - the new indexes are taken from the copies of register entries submitted to GRO by local offices as their quarterly returns. But old and new both have issues and errors (as all indexes do).

The new and old indexes also use different indexing rules so that also accounts for some differences between the two.
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks Kat and Antony.
                    I remember now that the reason I don't have a copy of the death cert is because I couldn't fine the entry (Kirk) in the new index when it first came on line.
                    I posted a thread on here asking for help re a newspaper article I'd found (but not downloaded) about the death - forum members "found" the article for me, which prompted me to go back to the GRO index in order to get the cert. That was when I discovered that the death was registered as Kirks.
                    I'm very aware of how easy it is to make a mistake when copying a name (we've all done it and come across it lol) - I'm just hoping that a possible error in either the index or on the actual cert doesn't cause a problem in me getting the PDF I want.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Sorry yes , I meant their copies of the register entries not the old printed indexes which BMD used.
                      Kat

Comment

Working...
                      X