Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller household, 1851 Census

Hello,

Looking for Henry and Elizabeth Miller (possibly recorded as Muller), who at the time of the census probably would’ve been living in Sleaford, Lincolnshire, as their daughter Caroline was born there around that time. They also had one daughter born in Lincoln in 1849, my ancestor, Anne Elizabeth Miller. Henry and Elizabeth were musicians, and lived in Newark, from the mid-1850s till their deaths. Both were German-born; Henry in around 1828 and Elizabeth in around 1821.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam

cannot find them in 1851 but could this be them in 1861 ?? birth years are way out though

living
    Yard, Surrey Street, St Margaret, Kings Lynn, Norfolk, England

Henry Millers Lodger Married Male 24 1837 Musician Germany
    Elizabeth Millers Lodger Married Female 23 1838 - Germany

Comment

I could only find Elizabeth alone in Newark in 1861, but she does say that she’s married, and the pair are together in 1871. Perhaps a case of double enumeration?

Comment

maybe he was away playing his music, was he a street musician? my great great grandfather was a Muller from Germany, he too was a Musician.

Comment

Quite possibly. I don’t know exactly what he did. I’ve emailed archives etc and they have no record for him, so he probably wasn’t with an orchestra or anything like that.

Comment

did you have any luck? I did a quick search on Ancestry and just found Elizabeth on 61, and them both on 71 and 81. I think anyway, Anna is Hannah on one - and widowed on another.

Elizabeth a musician.

On family search there is a Henrick Muller in Liverpool in 1851, but not sure it fits and I can't find on Ancestry.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Nope, still no luck. Henry is alone in 1891, after his wife died the previous year. To my knowledge he never remarried. The 1851 entry you found does sound plausible, but he was using the name Henry Miller (presumably an Anglicisation of the German Heinrich Müller) from his 1848 marriage onwards (and the christening of Ann in Lincoln in 1849).

Comment

Also the Liverpool Müller is a sugar baker, and unmarried in 1851. He continues to live in Liverpool after that point it appears :(

Comment

Wonder where they are then, the 3 of them should be somewhere. Unless they were out of the country. Or surname mistranscribed.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I thought both things myself. Possibly visiting ‘die Vaterland’? Or, as Germans, it is entirely possible that they were misunderstood by the enumerator. It’s not of crucial importance, but if they might specify a province of Germany it might help greatly in locating them in Germany.

Comment

I’m just reading about a John Filing, born c. 1829 in Prussia, who was also a musician (1871 Census) in Spittlegate, Lincolnshire, where the Millers married! This really is extraordinary - so many German musicians in the Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire area.

Comment

Also found this christening from Newark from 1854 that records Henry as Müller but misrecords Elizabeth as ‘Wright’ rather than White:

Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

Comment

The 1854 christening was at Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church in Newark. All previous christenings were Anglican, and they married at an Anglican church.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
                            The 1854 christening was at Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church in Newark. All previous christenings were Anglican, and they married at an Anglican church.
                            There is a quaint german practise, i believe sometimes practised in the U.K. In which the servants take on the religion of the employer. It's more known in germany, therefore protestants will appear in catholic registers and vice versa. So they may have done this. Or converted? Do you know where they are buried? I guess it's also possible they were catholic in germany and converted to fit in.

Comment

I did consider that they converted to Anglicanism when they came to England - although neither were christened into that faith. This one child was the only one christened a Catholic, and the next year the Millers were christening a child at St. Mary’s (C of E) Church! 5 years prior to the sole Catholic christening, my ancestor was christened at an Anglican church in Lincoln. However, the Catholic child does appear to have been the first born in Newark. They were buried at the non-denominational Newark Cemetery.

Comment

Whilst residents of Spain, Portugal, France and Italy have been predominantly Roman Catholic, weren't many inhabitants of the Germanic states Protestant rather than RC? (Martin Luther and the Reformation) My Prussian emigrees were Protestant, as were the German street musicians who came to live in a local town, before moving into my village.
                                We've never found out the original name of the latter, nor precisely where they came from. Name variations are only to be expected, because although they became bilingual, they spoke English with a very strong German influence. Bear in mind that in the 1850's - 1880's, natives of germanic states residing in England had nothing to fear (our royal family was proud of its Germanic origins and connections) It is quite possible that the Anglicisation was on the part of the English recorder rather than the German family attempting to hide their nationality in order to "fit in." It wasn't until the early 1900's that bad feelings towards people with German roots developed and this escalated from 1910 onwards. The elderly lady in my village hardly left her house during WW1 and relied on her daughter or a neighbour to go to the village shop for her.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes, but I think southern Germany e.g. Bavaria still remained Catholic despite the Reformation. Holland is similar; that was split between north and south in terms of religion too. I’ve put a message on a German genealogy forum to see if they can find anything too

Comment

Adam's correct, the southern german states tend to be catholic, and the north protestant.

Comment

Working...
                                    X