• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where were they

Richard KNIGHT born 1864 Bermondsey

marries in 1890 Hammersmith ,occupation Butler

to

Selina Rachel DRACOTT born 1870 Kensington

She is by herself in 1891 says Married, cannot find her in 1901, she is again by herself in 1911 says Widowed, and remarries in 1929.

Cannot find Richard after the marriage till his death in 1926 Hammersmith?

so looking for him in 1891 1901 and 1911

Selina in 1901

Thanks

should have said in 1911 she is with her son Joseph Henry Foulger aged 6, he is the son of the man she marries in 1929, so looks like she remarried after Richards Death?

Comment

Joseph Henry was registered as Foulger, so it looks as though he was acknowledged by his father

FOULGER, JOSEPH HENRY DRACOTT mmn DRACOTT
      GRO Reference: 1905 M Quarter in FULHAM Volume 01A Page 219
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Did she have any children with Richard?

Is it possible that they went overseas ................ he was a Butler and might have had to travel/move with that occupation?
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

My 2 x g grandmother married in 1876. By 1881 is living with another man. Has various children and the surnames vary between her maiden name , her married name and her partners name.

Eventually she marries her long term partner in 1900.

I was wondering if she just thought she was safe to by then. I have traced her first husband and he didn't die until 1929. so please look at dates later than the marriage if you find nothing earlier.
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I had a quick look last night and noticed that the address on the marriage record for Richard was the Siamese Legation, so Sylvia's suggestion may have merit, but I could not find anything on immigration/emigration records at first glance.
            It is an interesting assertion that Selina makes about widowhood etc and on my flights of fantasy wonder if this may have been a marriage of convenience.
            I hope the story can be uncovered. I will take another look this afternoon if no-one else has found him by then.
            Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thanks everybody, I did wonder about them maybe being overseas, shall have another look.

Comment

Think I may have found a possibility in 1901, well a Richard T Knight age 37 b.Canterbury, Butler in Queensgate Kensington. Shows he is married. There is a Susan Ann Knight, kitchenmaid also married and a 9 year old Richard J Knight visitor. Will do some more digging

Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Okay so following this through in 1911 Richard and Susan are at 4 Victoria Mews Hove both still in service butler/cook this time indicated birthplace is Montgomery Llandridno. Which in 1901 is indicated as Susan's b.place so the enumerator may have miswritten the birthplaces as in 1911 states Susan born in Somerset, which in 1901 is the next persons b.place

1939 still in Hove with Susan and son Richard. Richard senior indicates occ butler

Richard Thomas Knight married Susan A Chick in Sept qtr 1890. New Forest

So this may or may not be your man. I will try and find him through Susan in 1891 as I can't find him
                  Last edited by bubblebelle; 15-02-19, 14:48. Reason: adding place
                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

Okay just checking GRO Richard jnr middle name is James... there is a lot of coincidences if this is not the same man. As for Susan I have found a Susan Knight married in service as a cook in 1891 in Kensington but no sign of Richard with her.
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

thanks very much for all your time , does look interesting am checking now, will let you know

Comment

KNIGHT, RICHARD JAMES Mother CHICK
                        GRO Reference: 1891 J Quarter in CANTERBURY Volume 02A Page 840

looks like the son

Comment

Yes that's the one I found.
                          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Must admit am getting confused ,so have added them to my tree to see what I can find.

Comment

I understand. If you know that the death you found in the 1920's is correct, then this man will not be correct as he dies much later. As you may recall my 2x GGrandfather committed bigamy weeks after the legal marriage, so it has been done. I had a quick look at the Old Bailey records but in a scanning search could not find anything. I no longer have FMP so cannot check newspapers, but if this Richard Thomas is one and the same as your Richard it may be worth investigating more. He may have been imprisoned in 1891. The marriage cert of the legal marriage of my 2x GGrandfather has been amended in the margin although this does not hint at the bigamy, related to names, this includes the earliest certified copy that I have, which is dated 1951.
                              Bubblebelle x

Comment

Thanks again I was wondering as he had died much later, I do think the date I have is right, it is the right area , but will check further as where was he after the marriage ?

Comment

Working...
                                X