Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for John fagan

looking for John fagan

Hi everybody. I’ve come to a dead end. My g grandfather was called Samuel fagan birn 1837. He married in 1874 at Loughgilly parish church to a Mary Rafferty. Samuel died in 1913 and buried at ballenon reformed Presbyterian church near poyntzpass. On the marriage certificate it states his father was John fagan a labourer. I have searched for John fagan and there is so many from all over Ireland I can’t get a handle on him at all.
    Going back to samuel fagan he may have been in Royal Navy before he married. On the HMS Marlborough according to 1861 England census. I tried to get his navy record but no luck. On the census states place of both was coleraine which is a new on on us.
    I have traced many of our family and have over 2000 names on the tree but this man I cannot find. Aghhh.
    Thank you for any guidance you can give.

If you look at the 1874 marriage certificate, the bride’s father is recorded as deceased. By inference the groom’s father, John Fegan, is alive. If you search the death records for the Newry registration area 1874 onwards there are several John Fegan, labourer, deaths that might fit. Note the surname seems consistently Fegan not Fagan. (They are available to view free on the irishgenealogy site).

This looks to be your family in the 1901 & 1911 censuses. Neither gives Samuel’s place of birth as Coleraine. The 1901 says Ireland and the 1911 says Co. Armagh.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...aleck/1037090/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...naleck/307435/

I’d suspect Samuel was born near Ballenon. The Reformed Presbyterian/Covenanter church there doesn’t have any baptisms prior to 1860, so that may be hard to confirm.

The Valuation revision records on the PRONI website show Samuel acquiring the Ballynaleck farm in 1893. It was plot 30, a 4 acre holding.

A couple of Probate abstracts from the PRONI wills website, in case you don’t already have them:

Administration of the Estate of Samuel Fegan late of Ballinaleck County Armagh Farmer who died 3 May 1913 at Ballenon in said County granted at Armagh to James Samuel Fegan Farmer.

Fegan James Samuel of Ballynaleck Poyntzpass county Armagh farmer died 8 December 1953 Administration Belfast 9 August to Annie Eleanor Fegan the widow. Effects £207 5s.
    Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Thank you Elwyn. I wonder where Samuel was living from date of his marriage until he bought ballnaleck.?? Right I’ll check for John Fagan/Fegan again and see if something jumps up for me. Still I wonder why samuel put coleraine as place of birth when he on the Marlborough ship which was docked at Portsmouth in 1861. It’s a massive jigsaw which I can’t get all pieces to fit.
    Thanks again. Lorna

Checked for John Fegan on Irish genealogy again and I’ve narrowed it down to 7!! 2 from Rathfriland!! Cleomack and Letrim. Never heard of them before so I’ll have to do a bit of searching. Thank you

Are you sure the Samuel in the 1861 census is the same Samuel who was later living in Co. Armagh? That could explain the discrepancy over the place of birth.

Regarding where Samuel lived prior to acquiring the farm, when he married he was a labourer. Labourers are not always in the Valuation records. Firstly they moved around a lot to follow available work and often got missed because the Griffiths clerks only updated the records every 32 or 3 years, and secondly they often lived in houses of too low a value to be worth listing. And sometimes they lodged with better off relatives, another reason.

I noticed one of the possible John Fegan deaths was in Newry Workhouse. I wondered about him.
    Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Maybe you are right about the 1861 census. I’ll set it to the side for now. Yes I saw that John in the workhouse. Hmmm
    ill concentrate on the Rathfriland ones and see what comes up. Thanks for your guidance. Lorna.

On FMP there is a burial at the Haslar Royal Naval hospital, Alverstoke, Hants for 24/04/1861 for

Samuel Fagen
    Born 1836

However, I note the 1861 census was for the night of 07/04/1861

Vera

Thanks Vera. Yes dates don’t quite match up. I have searched for johns son Samuel born 1837 married Mary rafferty in 1874 at loughgill parish church. Died 1913 but I cannot find place of birth or burial place. I had contacted ballenon reformed church but no reply. Hard to know where to try next. Something in the back of my mind there is a Rathfriland connection as there was a covenanter church there too.
    Thank you. Lorna.

In Ireland people aren’t always buried in the graveyard of the church they attended. Sometimes they had family plots in a different churchyard, and many Presbyterian and Reformed Presbyterian churches didn't have graveyards. So you often find Presbyterians in shared graveyards, Church of Ireland or council owned graveyards.
    Elwyn

Thanks elwyn. I now am concentrating on rathfriland/ cavanconnection. A Patrick Fegan b 1763 farmer but was in 6th regiment of Dragoons. Died 1798. And a John Fegan b 1765 in rathfriland also in 6 th reg of Dragoons discharged from army after kick from a horse. Died 1807. Now to track any marriages/births. Etc.
    Thank you