No announcement yet.

looking for John fagan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked up on what RMSJ stands for. Resonse to motion for summative justice. It seems there was a mutiny of sorts on the Marlborough. In 1860 newspaper Samuel Fegan is named with RI marine after his name. The ship was then not used and the men paid off.

Comment

Surely a Response Motion to Summary Justice is a legal document though, not something applied to a person? Where did you see those initials?

OC

Comment

Oh gosh can’t remember now. Looked at so much.

Comment

Hi everyone, Im back again having got no further on in my searches.

I have concentrated on samuel Fagan/Fegan. He married Mary Rafferty in loughgilly parish church in 1874. In 1901 and 1911 census he resided at ballnaleck poyntzpass Co Armagh. When I calculate his age etc his birth date comes up several years a difference. This has made the search for birth certificate difficult. Also I don’t know where he was born.
          Im not sure where to go with this. If I only had his birth date I could get the birth certificate and get a lead from it. Any advice would be appreciated. Lorna

Comment

From the 2 censuses, Samuel was born in Co. Armagh c 1837- 1840. That’s long before the start of statutory birth registration in Ireland (1864). So you won't get a birth certificate for him. They hadn’t been introduced.

You might get his baptism if you know where he was baptised, and the records exist. The census indicates he was a Covenanter (ie Reformed Presbyterian). If he was baptised into that faith, then the nearest RP church to Ballynaleck is Ballenon (aka Tyrone’s Ditches). Unfortunately their baptism records only begin in 1860. So if that’s where he was baptised there are no records for the years you need. There’s no easy way around that problem.
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Thanks elwyn. So that’s a dead end. There are no older generations to give us any other leads unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
              X