Griffiths Valuation-Title of MR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffiths Valuation-Title of MR

In Griffiths valuation, my ancestor is the only person designated with the title of Mr in the records for his own townland and the surrounding areas.

We were curious as to what this could mean as he obviously had some standing in the community. He owned a corn mill and was the lessor of many plots in his own and neighbouring townlands which were owned by the Lord Dillon in County Roscommon. Also upon his death an announcement appeared in Freeman's Journal
    which was a national Irish paper at the time where he is also referred to as Mr.

The title was not passed down to any of his sons so he held it for his lifetime only.

One theory we have is that he could have served in the military under the Dillon Regiment and been granted the title Mister as an honorary designation for his lifetime in view of his military career and seniority.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this as we are curious to know why he was always called Mr Denis O'Brien in official records.

I think it is just a honorific to emphasise his standing in the community, as you said. In the absence of any other title, it marks him and separates him from anyone else of the same name, lol. I do have a couple of instances of this in my tree and it just seems to be a nod of respect.

OC

Comment

It could refer to him having graduated from university...
      Kind regards,
      William
      Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Working...
      X