No announcement yet.

Georgina Kynaston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just before the divorce proceedings started, Georgina was a witness in another trial, of a con man called Baron Charles de Behr (not his real name). Her testimony gives further details of where she was living throughout 1841/1842.

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...behr#highlight
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I just read that link Bev, and what a horrible man he was, seems he had VD, wonder if that's what any of the kids died of?

Comment

There was an inquest when he died, which found he had heart disease, and died of a heart attack. However he suffered from severe epileptic fits throughout his life and had one 5-6 weeks before his death which had lasted 6 hours.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive....40813/039/0014

The Era, Sunday 13 August 1854, page 14 top right corner.
        Linda

Comment

She had a horrendous life with him, I wonder if she died abroad

Comment

I've checked the consular deaths for that period, but couldn't find anything. However, she may not have been registered. I also looked at Scotland and Ireland, but nothing stood out.
            Linda

Comment

She may have died abroad and been registered locally, not with the consulate. I have an aunt who died in monaco in 1917. This info came from the probate, but her death wasn't registered with the consulate. It was registered locally though.

Comment

Looks like he was buried here
                Kensal Green
                cemetery
                Kensal Green Cemetery
                grave reference
                /Cons/67

date of death
                Snow, Robert1854 Unrecorded
                Snow, Margaret1847 Unrecorded
                Snow, Margaret1841 Unrecorded
                Snow, Frederick1841 Unrecorded
                Snow, Robert1835 Unrecorded

Comment

I wonder where Georgina rests. So Robert is buried with the children. Little Georgina is there as well. Buried the same day as sister Margaret 9 June 1841, Frederick a week later 16 June 1941. On Ancestry.

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 08-02-19, 21:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                    It says she was born 1812 here....a lovely photo of her too....no info about where she went though...If these are yours it says she died 1889

http://gaskellfamily.com/ChildrenofTK&AJ.htm
                    There is a link for e-mailing the man who did this website on the home page. He is descended from the Kynastons. As he is the one who gives Georgina's death as 1 Feb 1889, maybe you could ask him where he obtained this information.
                    Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      I just read that link Bev, and what a horrible man he was, seems he had VD, wonder if that's what any of the kids died of?
                      Val,
                      The VD reference is with regard to another case cited by the judge in making his judgement regarding Snow v Snow.

I couldn't believe all the legalities about whether by continuing to live with him she had tacitly forgiven, ie condoned, his behaviour, thereby barring her case. Thankfully, the judge ultimately reached the correct decision. It made me so angry though, that the whole catalogue of abuse could have been discounted on this legal technicality. It doesn't bear thinking about what her fate would have been otherwise...

Christine
                      Last edited by Karamazov; 08-02-19, 21:45.
                      Researching:
                      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Wow, you all have found so much , don`t know how you did it ,really grateful !
                        I will try to contact the family member and see if he has any more detail.
                        It would be great if my cousin and this family member could get together and share information .
                        Thanks again
                        Julip

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                          There is lots of info on Georgina online. I took a look at her post 1841 but could not see that she had settled with either her two children as adults or her brothers and sister. It is possible as you say she required treatment for her mental health because of the circumstances of her marriage and death/burial of three of her children within the space of a week.

I have not been able to see her on the Ancestry lunacy register or in census using just her initials.

Vera
                          Depending on where the patient was, s/he may have been in a secure placement, but not featured on the above register.
                          One of my female relatives spent years in an asylum, but was not on the register. She was in a fee-paying establishment, run by the Quakers. Emma (the lady in question) was born in Norfolk and, luckily for me, in a census return she turned up in York at the Retreat, which used to be a private mental hospital. I think it may have been "married life" which she found difficult to cope with - two or three babies who died in infancy, in rapid succession. If the husband wasn't very understanding, I can quite see how things went into a downward spiral. She had a bit of money, in trust for her, which was possibly why he'd married her - he certainly wanted to get his hands on it, but her trustees used it instead to pay for her care.
                          Apart from the census reference though, there was nothing in online searches to indicate where she might have been. I was fortunate.

Jay
                          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 09-02-19, 08:45.
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by julip View Post
                            Wow, you all have found so much , don`t know how you did it ,really grateful !
                            I will try to contact the family member and see if he has any more detail.
                            It would be great if my cousin and this family member could get together and share information .
                            Thanks again
                            Julip
                            Let us know how you get on please, Julip. Id love to know where Georgina was, I would like to think she got a better life for herself!
                            Jacky

Comment

can someone educate me then please - Kynaston records before the Civil War on Lancashire parish sites - 1616 etc - I have a friend named Kynaston here in Liverpool and I always thought it was an old Lancashire based surname - anyone know its origins please ?
                              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

There was so much to read, I probably was getting tired at the point of the VD bit.
                                I was thinking also she had been in private nursing care, which is why we cannot find her, but would they not have to record her on any census record???

Comment

Robert Snow went on extensive travels soon after the divorce, taking William and Herbert (and, I think, their grandmother). Unfortunately, I didn't note the reference - but Robert wrote a book about his travels, 'Memorials of a Tour on the Continent', which can be located via Google 'Books'. Think I first picked up the reference in an obit for one of the sons. One of the references in Google 'Books' suggested Georgina dropped the divorce proceedings ca 1843 and made an out-of-court private financial deal with her husband. Sorry I didn't copy the site, but will go away to see if I can track it down.

The is a Georgina Elizabeth Snow in a Private Asylum in 1851, but not at all sure that is your lady, as there seems to have been someone else of that name married to an Elijah Snow, also having marital difficulties.

According to this article, Georgina went to live with her father after the separation -but for how long, it does not state.
                                  A searchable online edition of the Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913.

Beverley

Comment

Like father like son? Biographical note on William Snow

Beverley

Comment

right there

Comment

Working...
                                      X