Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Thomas Wilcox's parent's?

Hi all.
    One of my great great Grandad's is called Thomas Wilcox. On the 1881 census to 1901 census he is with his 1st wife and children. On the 1911 census he is married to my great great Nan Mary-Ann and children.
    One the census' he is either born in Worcestershire or Warwickshire around 1855 (give or take a few years depending on which census you look at)!
    I am not sure where he is on and before 1871 though.
    I think I may have him on the 1871 in a workhouse but not sure if this is him as there is also a Thomas Wilcox (different year of birth) as a domestic servant in Worcester?!
    Is there any way of finding him with his parents before this (if it is him) considering he's not sure where he was born on the later census'?
    Am I missing something that will identify which Thomas is mine?
    Thanks all

If you had the marriage certificate (either as a copy or digitised online), it should give his age and name his father and his father's occupation.

In addition the witnesses might also give a clue.

That is always assuming he told the truth!!

You haven't given us much to work with ........ eg, have you found out when he married his first wife?? When did he marry Mary Ann? The way you have given the information, he could have married Mary Ann any time between 1881 and 1901!

This might well be a case where you have to buy at least one of the certificates, if not both of them.
    Last edited by Sylvia C; 05-02-19, 18:13.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

the borders around there moved around a bit, so it maybe he was near the border, I have people from around there and it is getting confusing when I add them to the tree, as can't decide whether to use original county or new one.

https://ukga.org/england/Worcestershire/gazetteer.html which may answer his change.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I always use the county as stated in the original in my tree ............ otherwise you will end up in a mess.

Most of the changes have happened since 1967 when we left the UK ............... I'm not interested in that period of time for my 6 x gt granddad!

In my opinion, you just need to remember a change that happened at the time you're researching. If you need to, it is possible to put the second county in brackets after the one you've decided to stick to.

But you haven't answered my questions.

The simplest is when did he marry Mary Ann??? Where did he marry her??

The certificates would give you the name of his father and his age ............ if he told the truth.

Those are basic facts you need. Have you tried to find them?

At the very least, if you want us to help, give us your gt gt grandmother's surname so we can find her marriage if you have not found it. Then you can order the certificate if we can't the register entry online.

Or use GRO Index to find the birth of children to his first wife and to Mary Ann ..... that gives the mother's maiden name so you can search for the marriage in Freebmd.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks ladies! I'll order one or both marriage certs

Comment

Working...
          X