Plea for help re a Marylebone marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plea for help re a Marylebone marriage

I am researching Guardsman 2614140 Harold Joseph Adams, Grenadier Guards, who lost his life 16/05/1940 at Herent, serving as JHW Adams. I'm looking for some help to pin down the date and venue of his marriage in the 1st quarter of 1940 at Marylebone to Gladys Dora Davies.

When they wed, Harold was going by the name Harold Joseph Worrall. The only other information that I have is the address of 2 Lascelles Street, St Marylebone.

My plea is therefore if anyone in the local area of the marriage would please be in the position to take a look at the Parish Records to obtain the information that I'm after? If I were a betting man then I would think that St Marylebone or St Mary's would be favourite.

Many thanks in advance!

sorry thought you wanted the registration
    Last edited by Guest; 02-02-19, 12:59.

Comment

sorry thought you wanted the registration of the marriage

Comment

No problem Val, thanks for looking.

Comment

just a thought have you got the marriage cert ?

Comment

suppose you know he was a prisoner of war?
            Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              just a thought have you got the marriage cert ?
              I am hoping that the parish records will have a microfiche with this on.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                suppose you know he was a prisoner of war?
                https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...AST%2F01041317
                Erm, no I did not and I cannot find his name on the link you provided.

Comment

Worrall.JPG

here it is

Comment

Ah, silly me. Didn't look at Worrall. Sorry, Val!
                    I wonder what dates he was missing?

The document states that the page is from 'Far East: Singapore; dead prisoners of war at Changi Hospital; list compiled by Reverend Chambers'

Trying to now tie in where he was and then presumably found, as lost his life at Herent.

Comment

He is listed as missing not a POW.
                      172: British Army List of Missing to be Circulated to POW Camps: includes Copy of 1st & 2nd Lists

Worrall.JPG
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I don't think he was in the Far East at all. We weren't involved out East until about 41 or 42 (??)
                        If you look at the first pages of that document on FMP you will see that these POW and missing lists refer not just to Far East but all the theatres of war - France and Belgium included. Certainly in 1940 Harold Joseph wouldn't have been there.

Last edited by Katarzyna; 04-02-19, 14:21.
                        Kat

Comment

wonder why he is on the list for prisoners of war then ?

Comment

It could be a good source to remember if looking for missing Army personnel then eh Val.
                            Kat

Comment

Well it seems he was buried in Belgium.

and page 2 - https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...harold-joseph/
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

True Kat ,

Comment

Originally posted by HTSCF Fareham View Post
                                  Ah, silly me. Didn't look at Worrall. Sorry, Val!
                                  I wonder what dates he was missing?

The document states that the page is from 'Far East: Singapore; dead prisoners of war at Changi Hospital; list compiled by Reverend Chambers'

Trying to now tie in where he was and then presumably found, as lost his life at Herent.
                                  Sorry folks, his place of death was not in question.

Comment

I think you'd be very lucky to find the PR for a 1940's marriage anywhere other than the relevant county record office or still in the church safe. London/Middlesex records seem to get moved around from place to place.Obviously the information would be on a GRO certificate, and perhaps on a military record (but the latter would only available to next of kin and at a cost, which is more than the price of a GRO cert.)
                                    Have you tried newspaper sites? I found a report of my parents' 1942 wedding on one a couple of years ago and although I already knew the date and venue, I discovered the names and attire of the bridesmaids and also that all the ladies carried lupins. (No doubt a raid on the gardens of Grandad and the neighbours!) It's a site that is continually being added to, so always new bits and pieces to unearth.
                                    The date of the newspaper is given and so from phrases like "on Saturday last" etc, it is often possible to work out the exact date.

Jay
                                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 04-02-19, 22:19.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I believe the St Marylebone parish records are held at City of Westminster Archives Centre not the LMA. You can contact them by email. They will be able to let you know if they have the parishes you need for that date or whether they are still held at the relevant church.

If you have a general question about our archives, please complete this form to send an enquiry to the library team.
                                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 05-02-19, 01:14.
                                      Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                        I think you'd be very lucky to find the PR for a 1940's marriage anywhere other than the relevant county record office or still in the church safe. London/Middlesex records seem to get moved around from place to place.Obviously the information would be on a GRO certificate, and perhaps on a military record (but the latter would only available to next of kin and at a cost, which is more than the price of a GRO cert.)
                                        Have you tried newspaper sites? I found a report of my parents' 1942 wedding on one a couple of years ago and although I already knew the date and venue, I discovered the names and attire of the bridesmaids and also that all the ladies carried lupins. (No doubt a raid on the gardens of Grandad and the neighbours!) It's a site that is continually being added to, so always new bits and pieces to unearth.
                                        The date of the newspaper is given and so from phrases like "on Saturday last" etc, it is often possible to work out the exact date.

Jay
                                        Hi Jay

Thanks for the reply.

I have exhausted all the usual routes, hence the plea for help online. My research involves a lot of names on the Fareham War Memorial in Hampshire and owing to the sheer number involved, I'm trying to minimise the costs wherever possible whilst still providing a reliable resource. I dread to think how much I've already spent on documents (I've just ordered 12 records from the GRO!).

Comment

Working...
                                        X