Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plea for help re a Marylebone marriage

He is listed as missing not a POW.
    172: British Army List of Missing to be Circulated to POW Camps: includes Copy of 1st & 2nd Lists

Worrall.JPG
    Kat

My avatar is my Grandmother - Ida Lock 1897-1988

I don't think he was in the Far East at all. We weren't involved out East until about 41 or 42 (??)
    If you look at the first pages of that document on FMP you will see that these POW and missing lists refer not just to Far East but all the theatres of war - France and Belgium included. Certainly in 1940 Harold Joseph wouldn't have been there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenad...cond_World_War
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 04-02-19 at 14:21.
    Kat

wonder why he is on the list for prisoners of war then ?

Val

It could be a good source to remember if looking for missing Army personnel then eh Val.
    Kat

True Kat ,

Val

Quote Originally Posted by HTSCF Fareham View Post
    Ah, silly me. Didn't look at Worrall. Sorry, Val!
    I wonder what dates he was missing?

The document states that the page is from 'Far East: Singapore; dead prisoners of war at Changi Hospital; list compiled by Reverend Chambers'

Trying to now tie in where he was and then presumably found, as lost his life at Herent.
    Sorry folks, his place of death was not in question.

I think you'd be very lucky to find the PR for a 1940's marriage anywhere other than the relevant county record office or still in the church safe. London/Middlesex records seem to get moved around from place to place.Obviously the information would be on a GRO certificate, and perhaps on a military record (but the latter would only available to next of kin and at a cost, which is more than the price of a GRO cert.)
    Have you tried newspaper sites? I found a report of my parents' 1942 wedding on one a couple of years ago and although I already knew the date and venue, I discovered the names and attire of the bridesmaids and also that all the ladies carried lupins. (No doubt a raid on the gardens of Grandad and the neighbours!) It's a site that is continually being added to, so always new bits and pieces to unearth.
    The date of the newspaper is given and so from phrases like "on Saturday last" etc, it is often possible to work out the exact date.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 04-02-19 at 22:19.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I believe the St Marylebone parish records are held at City of Westminster Archives Centre not the LMA. You can contact them by email. They will be able to let you know if they have the parishes you need for that date or whether they are still held at the relevant church.

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/contact-archives-team
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 05-02-19 at 01:14.
    Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
    I think you'd be very lucky to find the PR for a 1940's marriage anywhere other than the relevant county record office or still in the church safe. London/Middlesex records seem to get moved around from place to place.Obviously the information would be on a GRO certificate, and perhaps on a military record (but the latter would only available to next of kin and at a cost, which is more than the price of a GRO cert.)
    Have you tried newspaper sites? I found a report of my parents' 1942 wedding on one a couple of years ago and although I already knew the date and venue, I discovered the names and attire of the bridesmaids and also that all the ladies carried lupins. (No doubt a raid on the gardens of Grandad and the neighbours!) It's a site that is continually being added to, so always new bits and pieces to unearth.
    The date of the newspaper is given and so from phrases like "on Saturday last" etc, it is often possible to work out the exact date.

Jay
    Hi Jay

Thanks for the reply.

I have exhausted all the usual routes, hence the plea for help online. My research involves a lot of names on the Fareham War Memorial in Hampshire and owing to the sheer number involved, I'm trying to minimise the costs wherever possible whilst still providing a reliable resource. I dread to think how much I've already spent on documents (I've just ordered 12 records from the GRO!).

http://www.htscf.org.uk/history/war_memorial.html