Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did he go to prison?

Evening!

We have a family story (of course, notoriously dodgy) that one of my great aunt's husband went to prison.

He is Solomon Robert Smith, 1895-1946, born in Stepney, died in Illford.

Rumour has it that he went to prison. He was a postman by occupation, could he have stolen post? Opened letters with money? Some other darstardly trick??

He was married to Isabella Ward. They had a lodger, Eric Leonard Rolfe, who we think had an affair with Bella while Solomon was inside. After Solomon died in 1946, Bella married Eric (aka Basil).

I've looked through the Ancestry records but nothing. If anyone can help me and family - we'd be much obliged.

AManda

What was he doing in 1939? (To narrow down the timeline).

OC

Comment

Couple of entries on FMP for 1915 a chap Solomon Levy aka Robert Smith b 1896, Porter. Guilty of Larcency.
      Not sure if the second one is yours. 1921 Henry Stanley aka Robert, Solomon Smith or Levy. Born New York.
      Guilty of office breaking. 12 months imprisonment following which he intended to take up the occupation of a London Fireman.

Vera
      Last edited by vera2013; 29-01-19, 20:39.

Comment

Solomon Robert was apparently at home in 1939

Smith Household (5 People) 4 Mayville Road , Ilford M.B., Essex, England

Solomon R Smith 28 Nov 1895 Postman
        Isabel E Rolfe (Smith) 28 Dec 1894 Unpaid Domestic Duties
        Robert C Smith 17 Dec 1919 Mortuary Clerk (Temp)
        Ruby I Smith 26 Apr 1921 Film Plate Packer
        Marjorie E Deyes (Smith) 12 Jan 1923 Switch Assembler (Wireless)

No sign of Eric Leonard!
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Just for the timing .........

Robert S Smith married Isabel Ward, March quarter 1918

Looks as though whatever he did, if he did go to prison it was probably between 1939 and his death in 1946.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Interesting .....

there is an old thread on FTF from someone called Steven (living in Scotland) asking about the same person! There's 50 posts on that thread!!

Comment

He might have gone to prison before h was a postman. I doubt if they did rigorous checks on whether people had been to prison or not back in those dsys. Also, postman wasn't necessarily Royal Mail, most offices had internal postmen. We had two where I worked in the 1960s!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                Interesting .....

there is an old thread on FTF from someone called Steven (living in Scotland) asking about the same person! There's 50 posts on that thread!!

https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...-date-of-death
                yep, that is Amanda's cousin Steven.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Solomon Robert was apparently at home in 1939

Smith Household (5 People) 4 Mayville Road , Ilford M.B., Essex, England

Solomon R Smith 28 Nov 1895 Postman
                  Isabel E Rolfe (Smith) 28 Dec 1894 Unpaid Domestic Duties
                  Robert C Smith 17 Dec 1919 Mortuary Clerk (Temp)
                  Ruby I Smith 26 Apr 1921 Film Plate Packer
                  Marjorie E Deyes (Smith) 12 Jan 1923 Switch Assembler (Wireless)

No sign of Eric Leonard!

Thanks Sylvia!
                  That's an interesting line up!
                  So Solomon Smith was married to Isabel Smith (nee Ward), their children Robert, Ruby and Marjorie are here too. (Deyes is Marjorie's married name).
                  Isabel's surname here is Rolfe!!! Which is Eric's name - I wonder what on earth is going on in this household?

Eric's (aka Basil in our family, goodness knows why) mum had a pub, we think in Maidenhead, Berks - maybe he was there??

Why is Bella taking Eric's surname while living with Solomon and kids??

Bizarre

Amanda x

Comment

Ah right, I've just had a look at the doc online - the names of Bella and Marjie have been amended by hand, would this have been done? Wouldn't the record just have been officially kept as it was recorded on the night?

Amanda

Comment

Amanda ........

the 1939 Register was updated during the war, and then became the basis of the NHS when that was formed in 1947.

From then until about 1990/91 the Register was continually updated as information was entered from the medical information, as women married and changed their names, as people died, etc etc. The new name is the one that was then used in the Register, hence why you see the maiden name in brackets.

So, no, it was never kept as a static document.

If you notice there are often dates written in coloured ink to the left of of a name that has been altered. That indicates the date the enter was altered .............. not the date when the name change (eg married, common law relationship, etc) actually happened.
                      Last edited by Sylvia C; 07-02-19, 20:12.

Comment

there is a 1935 electoral reg with Eric, Isabel and Solomon in Stepney 94 St Anns Road
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

and he is at same address under robert smith for 1921, 22, 24, 26, 27, 31, 33. Possibly more reg electors is a bit hit and miss for searching by address.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks cbcarolyn for this, I'll have a look.

AM

Comment

Amanda ........

the 1939 Register was updated during the war, and then became the basis of the NHS when that was formed in 1947.

From then until about 1990/91 the Register was continually updated as information was entered from the medical information, as women married and changed their names, as people died, etc etc. The new name is the one that was then used in the Register, hence why you see the maiden name in brackets.

So, no, it was never kept as a static document.

If you notice there are often dates written in coloured ink to the left of of a name that has been altered. That indicates the date the enter was altered .............. not the date when the name change (eg married, common law relationship, etc) actually happened.
                              Info much appreciated, I didn't know this.

Am

Comment

Working...
                              X