Who was Edward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Kat

William, last sentence in post #20 should read "James (father of John) was the son of yet another James,

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay - at least I can understand a little of the complexities now. I've got a lovely free and easy day ahead of me so will contemplate a little further later on!
      Kind regards,
      William
      Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Hi again,
        did your Boulters ever have a connection to Swanton Novers in Norfolk?
        Does the name Swinburn ever turn up amongst your Boulters?
        Kind regards,
        William

Comment

Hi

If your Edward was born in Beckham, you would suppose his birth was registered in Erpingham? Have tried that route, but no Edwards that match at all :(

Have also tried the Ransomes in general in Norfolk, but nothing either - though Ransome is a very popular name it seems around the Beckham area.

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
            Hi again,
            did your Boulters ever have a connection to Swanton Novers in Norfolk?
            Does the name Swinburn ever turn up amongst your Boulters?
            No, I've never been able to connect up with the Swanton Novers gang. The Swinburn connection is not our branch. My family's link with Northumberland began in 1892 with my grandfather's migration from Norfolk. Before that we were in the North Walsham area, proven back to the 1680's. Pretty sure John B went to Hartlepool for work - there was an agricultural depression and Norfolk was particularly badly affected. They would have gone up by boat, I think; I have various Norfolk personnel who travelled up and down the East coast, in and out of the coastal ports.

Thanks for trying, thomasalbertedward. Luckily Edward Ransome doesn't seem to be of any real significance to my tree. It's just the pedant in me that wants to sort out the minutae and sometimes one can't!

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-01-19, 11:10.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Never mind...the reason I asked was because of the visitor on this page in 1901:
              Kind regards,
              William

Comment

Might just be a kid being looked after while the parents are out? after all they are only supposed to put down the actual people there that day, not necessarily living there.
                Very odd though that he cannot be found anywhere else, maybe the household did not know how to spell his name ? so many maybe's
                I hate being beaten so intend to have another go today.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                  No, I've never been able to connect up with the Swanton Novers gang. The Swinburn connection is not our branch. My family's link with Northumberland began in 1892 with my grandfather's migration from Norfolk. Before that we were in the North Walsham area, proven back to the 1680's. Pretty sure John B went to Hartlepool for work - there was an agricultural depression and Norfolk was particularly badly affected. They would have gone up by boat, I think; I have various Norfolk personnel who travelled up and down the East coast, in and out of the coastal ports.

Thanks for trying, thomasalbertedward. Luckily Edward Ransome doesn't seem to be of any real significance to my tree. It's just the pedant in me that wants to sort out the minutae and sometimes one can't!

Jay
                  I wonder if he wasn't born a Ransome, but became one when his mother married a Ransome? There is only one Ransome marriage with a male groom registered in the area and around the right date. There is a marriage in 1873 between John Henry Ransome - birthplace "Barkham" Norfolk which I presume is meant to be Beckham, Norfolk - and an Eliza Smith https://www.ancestry.com.au/interact...&usePUBJs=true
                  and there are two illegitimate births for Edward Smiths, registered in Erpingham around the right date:Name:
                  Mother's Maiden Surname:
                  Order:
                  SMITH, EDWARD
                  -

GRO Reference: 1869 M Quarter in ERPINGHAM Volume 04B Page 71

SMITH, EDWARD
                  -

GRO Reference: 1871 J Quarter in ERPINGHAM Volume 04B Page 67

I wonder if Eliza could have been the mum of one of these Edwards - who then became a Ransome after the 1873 marriage?

Probably all a fanciful theory though and I can't find Edward after 1881 - I wonder if he emigrated?
                  Last edited by thomasalbertedward; 26-01-19, 11:56.

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                    Never mind...the reason I asked was because of the visitor on this page in 1901:
                    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...=successSource
                    That's a very interesting find! I note the visitor was born Sweden and I think the surname was Pearson. I'm pleased Swinburn wasn't in my gang or I'd be off on another magical mystery tour!
                    Thanks for all your efforts on my behalf, William.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by thomasalbertedward View Post
                      I wonder if he wasn't born a Ransome, but became one when his mother married a Ransome? There is only one Ransome marriage with a male groom registered in the area and around the right date. There is a marriage in 1873 between John Henry Ransome - birthplace "Barkham" Norfolk which I presume is meant to be Beckham, Norfolk - and an Eliza Smith https://www.ancestry.com.au/interact...&usePUBJs=true
                      and there are two illegitimate births for Edward Smiths, registered in Erpingham around the right date:Name:
                      Mother's Maiden Surname:
                      Order:
                      SMITH, EDWARD
                      -

GRO Reference: 1869 M Quarter in ERPINGHAM Volume 04B Page 71

SMITH, EDWARD
                      -

GRO Reference: 1871 J Quarter in ERPINGHAM Volume 04B Page 67

I wonder if Eliza could have been the mum of one of these Edwards - who then became a Ransome after the 1873 marriage?

Probably all a fanciful theory though and I can't find Edward after 1881 - I wonder if he emigrated?
                      All very feasible thomasalbertedward, and I have often found that when people suddenly "appear" or "disappear" then a change of name due to illegitimacy somewhere in the pedigree is the reason. However, none of the possible surnames currently thrown up seem to have any family connections with the hosts. And as Edward was a visitor, Beckham could well have been where he came from at the start of his visit, rather than his actual place of birth.

Thanks for your thoughts and efforts on my behalf.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                        All very feasible thomasalbertedward, and I have often found that when people suddenly "appear" or "disappear" then a change of name due to illegitimacy somewhere in the pedigree is the reason. However, none of the possible surnames currently thrown up seem to have any family connections with the hosts. And as Edward was a visitor, Beckham could well have been where he came from at the start of his visit, rather than his actual place of birth.

Thanks for your thoughts and efforts on my behalf.

Jay
                        You're welcome - I enjoy a good genealogical mystery. I'll have to ask on the forum about my 1861 visitors one day soon and it's been a nice change from chasing the elusive Hooper-Townsends for a few days

Comment

Val, the householders couldn't read or write (going by their marriage certificate anyway) so they would have had to have dictated for someone else to record.
                          Edward could well have just been someone they were child-minding. If he was 11, then technically he was of legal employment age , so hardly a nurse-child! I think I'm just going to add to my report that he was in the household on census night, and that at this point in time I haven't been able to establish who he was or why he was there.
                          Don't waste your time on it - writing up this line is throwing up one or two other little "mysteries" (can't find the death registration of a child, nor passenger record for another) so in a bit I'll post up a new thread about those for anyone who's feeling bored and wants to ferret around!

As always, thanks for your help - I really do appreciate it.

Jay
                          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-01-19, 12:26.
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

another wild card
                            Barbara Annie Ransom, mistranscribed as Bansom ,unmarried a Niece , and a William Bansom a Nephew born 1870 Beckham, cannot find her after 1871?

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Comment

Working...
                            X