1939 register - how to find ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 register - how to find ...

... where people are using the registration district / sub registration district and enumeration district letter code!

So I have great grandparents on this and it says Oxfordshire then when you click on record it says Henley but I know where they actually are is in a little village called Checkendon so does the registration district / sub registration district and enumeration district letter code narrow the Henley district down and if so where do i find the info. to tell me this?

Thanks

If you can access the 1939 on FMP they have a map on the preview page. You need to scroll down from the transcription. I have found the map is usually but not always accurate to the location.

Failing that I tend to browse the pages before and after the person's address to get clues. Then, using my OS maps on my computer I work out where it is. In large towns Google maps would be better but in small villages and surrounding areas names of farms are the best clue.

I could give it a go for you if you are really stuck. It's very frustrating of Ancestry to say they are in 'Oxfordshire' when you can see that they have a proper address.
    Anne

Comment

Anne, thank you! I only have Ancestry at the mo but thinking of doing the 14 day trial on FMP to try and find any records I can't on Ancestry!
      Tessie

Comment

There are times when having both subs is useful - because they have different transcriptions, they have different errors.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I found someone yesterday who was still redacted on Ancestry but not on FMP.
          Anne

Comment

Working...
          X