Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best place to look for Irish ancestors ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to look for Irish ancestors ..

... one branch I'm looking at says he was born in Ireland so to find his parents where is best too look - upgrade Ancestry to WW, PAYG on FMP or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Thanks

you could try the census in ireland..

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

You could look on www.familysearch.org but also on www.irishgenealogy.ie and also on www.census.nationalarchives.ie which are all free.

Irish Genealogy is a site set up by the Irish Government specifically so people may find out about their ancestors but be aware that records are not always ans much was lost in various fires etc which occurred during the early days of the Irish Republic.

Best of luck with your search.

merleyone

Comment

As most of my ancestors are Irish I have great sympathy in your quest!

I am not sure where you live but if in UK try to find out on last UK census exact place of birth. If elsewhere in the world then do the same with census. Ancestors with just Ireland will be very difficult if not impossible to trace. You at least need a county of birth from somewhere. As said above Irish 1901 and 1911 Census may help as possibly the Irish BMD from Dublin National Library. NOt sure if this is now digitised but FMP have ditised. Sometimes you can be lucky and find a Census Fragment going back further than 1901 BUT that is luck!.

I have both Ancestry and FMP world subs and I find FMP far superior to Ancestry in finding my Irish ancestors. What do you know about Irish History? Were your ancestors Rebels? If they were then you may find info in the prison records/ Were they Catholics or Protestants as they will be in different record repositories pre 1864.

With the best will in the world expectations of finding Irish ancestors pre 1790 is going to be Extremely difficult as r so many records are lost but once you have found an area then read the newspapers avidly for ideas on how your ancestors may have lived. I have found much info in Irish newspapers many of which are now online through FMP Home in on an area and then get a DNA test to try to link with others. Good luck in your research. Some counties have better records than others.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 17-01-19, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
          As most of my ancestors are Irish I have great sympathy in your quest!

I am not sure where you live but if in UK try to find out on last UK census exact place of birth. If elsewhere in the world then do the same with census. Ancestors with just Ireland will be very difficult if not impossible to trace. You at least need a county of birth from somewhere. As said above Irish 1901 and 1911 Census may help as possibly the Irish BMD from Dublin National Library. Sometimes you can be lucky and find a Census Fragment going back further than 1901 BUT that is luck!.

I have both Ancestry and FMP world subs and I find FMP far superior to Ancestry in finding my Irish ancestors. What do you know about Irish History? Were your ancestors Rebels? If they were then you may find info in the prison records/ Were they Catholics or Protestants as they will be in different record repositories pre 1864.

With the best will in the world expectations of finding Irish ancestors pre 1790 is going to be Extremely difficult as r so many records are lost but once you have found an area then read the newspapers avidly for ideas on how your ancestors may have lived. I have found much info in Irish newspapers many of which are now online through FMP Home in on an area and then get a DNA test to try to link with others. Good luck in your research. Some counties have better records than others.

Janet
          Tell me about it.. my grt grt gran just said 'Ireland' on the few 1871/1881 census that she appears on, she helpfully [NOT] died just before the 1891 census. she lists her father as Matthew on two marriage certs but James on the third! NONE of her children were named either Matthew OR James, She did have them baptised [if that is the right term!] in several different RC churches, so totally stumped as to WHO she was.. I have done a DNA test to see if I can link with some Irish kin... but it is early days yet!...

hope you have better luck than me.
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 17-01-19, 11:08.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Tessie 31082

I feel your pain! I have rellies from Monaghan. Have traced back to 1781 but it's a devil!!

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
              ... one branch I'm looking at says he was born in Ireland so to find his parents where is best too look - upgrade Ancestry to WW, PAYG on FMP or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Thanks
              FMP is far better than Ancestry for Irish records including a wealth of Irish newspapers- but I would recommend a sub, rather than PAYG.
              However, there are also plenty of free online Irish records. What time frame are you looking for? Where? (Republic or present day Northern Ireland?) What religious denomination?
              Perhaps you could post further details of who you are looking for and what you already know for further pointers.

Christine
              Last edited by Karamazov; 26-01-19, 15:56.
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

If Catholic look at the baptism records to see who the godparents were and marriages who the witnesses were. It might help if they are family (if a sister then there's the possibility of a married name).

I found a marriage which I think is mine in Ireland and looked at the parish record and it doesn't record the parents at all. So no help there.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

Thanks
                  Tessie, please give us a name and where you saw him, please. Thank you.
                  Joy

Comment

Working...
                  X