WHY can't I find her?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY can't I find her?

I'm having some difficulty trying to kill someone off...

Elizabeth Brown was born 1847 in Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire.
    She married John Gregory Bond in 1872 he died and she married again in 1888 to Thomas Brackner a farmer.. Both Marriages took place in Kirkby [which is where she was born and lived most of her adult life]

The last sighting of her is 1911 when she had moved from Kirkby and gone to live in Fishpool which is classed as Blidworth

I have found a couple of deaths.. [well, two] and a probate entry.

I would have expected her death to be registered in the Mansfield district [as Fishpool would have come under that] BUT I cannot find one.

I had initially put this into my tree [it still is in one of my trees]

Name: Elizabeth Brackner
    Death Age: 73
    Birth Date: abt 1847
    Registration Date: Mar 1920
    Registration district: Basford
    Inferred County: Nottinghamshire
    Volume: 7b
    Page: 249

and this is what I found in a burial register. [which ties in]

Burial record for Elizabeth Brackner, Wife aged 73yrs place of death 97, George Street, Hucknall.
    Buried 03 March 1920. Removed from Hucknall. grave no: BE3225
    Entry no: 4537. Kingsway old cemetery, 1916-1957 page 27.

Death Age: 91
    Birth Date: abt 1828
    Registration Date: Jun 1919
    Registration district: Basford
    Inferred County: Nottinghamshire
    Volume: 7b
    Page: 209

and the probate:

Death Date: 28 Jun 1919
    Death Place: Nottinghamshire, England
    Probate Date: 2 Dec 1919
    Registry: Nottingham, England

am I being really blind? I just can't seem to pin her down!
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

not ignoring this but puzzled? :(

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      not ignoring this but puzzled? :(
      Why Val?

the two deaths I have put in I don't believe are her.. The addresses are both in Hucknall and that is at least 5 miles from where she actually lived in Fishpool.

the first one lists her as 'wife' [she was actually a 'widow'] and the second one was a widow but lived at Whyburn Farm and probate was left to William Brackner. [whoever he is! they didn't have any children to that marriage]
      Julie

Comment

I have been searching Julie, but can you tell me where Elizabeth and Thomas are together please as I don't know his age or which death is his. In 1891 I see that she is living with mum but says married to a Farmer and I can't see her yet in 1901. I know she says widow in in 1911 but of course she isn't necessarily telling the truth. Living on own means would fit with a farmer's wife though.

On the other hand the Whyburn farm one's age is a lot out.

It took me back actually as a friend I had when I was young lived at Whyburn Farm but she was a Brabazon/Barber.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Ahh just checked and the Thomas Brackner who died in 1940 was living in Kirkby-I-A in 1911 married to a Harriet. He wasa horse keeper and army pensioner and born in Bagthorpe and widowed by 1939 and living in K-I-A.

So I assume 'your' Thomas Brackner is the death in 1910?
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 17-01-19, 09:53.

Comment

Was she a widow in 1911?

Edit - hadn't seen your posts Chrissie.
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-01-19, 10:05.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Have now got them in 1901 thanks - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

Comment

Yes, definitely the 1910 death for Thomas. Here is his probate to Elizabeth- living Fishpool -

Comment

Well it isn't the second one Julie. The William Brackner mentioned in the probate of that Elizabeth is living at Whyburn Farm in 1911 and his mother is the Elizabeth. Here he is with family in 1861 - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=6598

So I would guess that 'married' was a mistake and it's probably the first Elizabeth death.
                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 17-01-19, 10:42.

Comment

Do you think that if she had been ill she might have gone to relatives in Hucknall?
                    What does "Buried 03 March 1920. Removed from Hucknall" mean?
                    The other one is born 1828 so doesn't fit.
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I assume it means moved and re buried Kat?

Comment

just give me a min to catch up been looking till i'm bog eyed!
                        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          yes that is right one... he was b. 1836 and died 1910

I'm having a bit of a time with them.. Thomas was married before he married Elizabeth to Sarah Ann Leam she dies in 1885 I think it was and they did have a son Thomas b.1865 @ Selston/Bagthorpe.
                          Julie

Comment

I have been trying to find 97 George Street in 1911 to see if that would help, but no luck so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                              Do you think that if she had been ill she might have gone to relatives in Hucknall?
                              What does "Buried 03 March 1920. Removed from Hucknall" mean?
                              The other one is born 1828 so doesn't fit.
                              I don't think that there were ANY relatives in Hucknall, I have been trying to piece it all together and not getting very far!...

her body was removed from Hucknall and taken to Kirkby to be buried [Kingsway old cemetery] it's only about 5 miles.
                              away.
                              I know that she did live at Fishpool as my mum remembered her mum talking about it and that she was 'diddled' out of the farm by someone that purported to be a friend. [she couldn't read or write] and he said make your mark she did and signed the farm away...

The 1911 said private means for income, so that would imply she had some money?
                              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                I have been trying to find 97 George Street in 1911 to see if that would help, but no luck so far.
                                thank you Chris..

I initially thought YES when I found that she had been taken from Hucknall to Kirkby to be buried......... ooooh I wonder if she was buried with Thomas?

just going to have a look
                                Julie

Comment

Ohh I think the plot thickens! It looks as though the son Thomas is the one I found who married Harriet see my post #5

Darn it - have to dash now and it's just getting interesting.
                                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 17-01-19, 11:30.

Comment

What I meant was Julie, I would have believed it was her, as so many of mine did not die, where I would expect them to . does that make sense.

Comment

pooooooooooo well Thomas doesn't appear to be buried @ Kingsway.. just gone through 1910 burials and he doesn't appear.
                                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                        What I meant was Julie, I would have believed it was her, as so many of mine did not die, where I would expect them to . does that make sense.
                                        Yes it does Val... I have a few like that too, but it just didn't 'sit' right..

Chris, I was looking for Thomas later on I thought he married Harriet but there seem to be two Thomas's marrying Harriets!..... and it doesn't help either that even though through the census it's Brackner Thomas b.1836 was bapt as a BRECKNOCK...
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X