Multiple great-grandparents conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple great-grandparents conundrum

I've not frequented the forum for a long, long time. I've just recently started looking at my family tree again and have come across something really strange and don't even know if it is possible. On one line, my 4 x great grandparents are also my 5 x great grandparents! I really cannot get my head around it and don't even know how to document it for someone else to look at it.

Briefly, what I had as my 4 x great grandparents, one of their daughters is my 3 x great grandmother, but another of their daughters is also my 4 x great grandmother, which makes her parents my 5 x great grandparents. As far as I can work it out, it means that my great grandparents are second cousins.

Has anyone ever come across this in their own research?
    Smith, Shaw, Arnfield, Frith, Fletcher (Derbyshire)
    Atkinson, Swindells, Shore,Stafford, Cheetham (Cheshire/Lancs)
    Wright, King, Revell (Norfolk)
    Cheetham, Hay (Oldham, Lancs)

My mother is also my 1st cousin twice removed - twice - from two different branches. My maternal grandparents were 1st cousins and one of their grandmothers had married her second cousin.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Yes, I have this in my tree severaltimes over in various ways, mostly in the 1700s. Parts of my family were very inbred, as would be many rural families.

I haven't found it a problem showing it on the tree.

OC

Comment

My husband comes from what used to be a small village where his family have lived since the mid 1800's so there are lots of inter marriages leading to all kinds of strange relationships.
        Margaret

Comment

Working...
        X