Find My Past Family Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Family Trees

Does anyone on here have a tree on FMP? At the moment I don't have an online tree and as I have a sub to FMP that seems the obvious site to put one on, but does it work like Ancestry? I used to really like Genes Reunited and the way that it worked, is FMP (saying that they are owned by the same people) more or less the same?

I am registered with Ancestry but don't want a subscription, if I put a tree on there would I be able to communicate with others who share ancestors?

I have reached the stage where I would like to speak to others about my research and to confirm that it is correct - or otherwise but don't really know much about on-line trees to be able to make an informed choice so any help would be appreciated, I also want to keep my research firmly on my laptop just updating an online tree every so often.
    Margaret

I do but hardly ever use it.,you do get hints like you would on Ancestry.
    Not positive but ,dont think you can connect with people on Ancestry, but somebody will put you right.

Comment

You cannot connect with other people with FMP trees I don't think. Because I specifically want to make mine public that's the reason I gave up with the bit of tree I had on FMP. The 'hints' work in a similar way to Ancestry though.
      Anne

Comment

Thank you Val and Anne, looks like I will have to have another think, pity that GR turned bottoms up I really liked the way they handled their trees.
        Margaret

Comment

what about Tribalpages, I get contacts on there too sometimes.
          Build your Free Family Tree website easily and effortlessly

Comment

From memory they want to be like ancestry and have public trees, but i don't think they have set it up yet. The hints are similar, but as my tree is on ancestry, i only have a skeleton tree on fmp and don't pay much attention to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              what about Tribalpages, I get contacts on there too sometimes.
              https://www.tribalpages.com/
              I used to use their free tree but didn't get any contacts, when I tried upgrading it to full membership my Bank charged me a fortune in exchange rates so I haven't bothered since preferring to stick to sites that take UK currency. The last tree that I uploaded on there for some reason had lots of 'living' people even though they had all the details entered and had died years ago. I also use Lost Cousins but although I seem to have entered hundreds of people I never get any contacts and apparently I haven't enough names entered to be able to join their Forum, so that seems to be another lost cause.
              Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                From memory they want to be like ancestry and have public trees, but i don't think they have set it up yet. The hints are similar, but as my tree is on ancestry, i only have a skeleton tree on fmp and don't pay much attention to it.
                Thanks for that, I think that Ancestry would be the best for 'meeting' others researching the same names but I don't want to take out yet another subscription, perhaps I'll give FMP a go, I can always delete it if it doesn't work out. Or perhaps I'll give up on on-line trees all together as my 'hidden cousins' don't wish to be found!
                Margaret

Comment

No FMP do not have public trees though they are constantly saying that this will change but they have not done anything about it so far. I do have a more extensive tree on FMP than I do on Ancestry and because of this I get constant hints, some of which have helped solve a puzzle but many of which are like Ancestry, too hit and miss and then the problem is if you decide either no or maybe then the hint disappears for good, fine if it is a definite no but some of their maybe could well have been correct, but now lost for good!! So look at the hints and only get rid of the ones you have definitely decided are not yours and hang on to the others just in case!

However if you want to met others researching same tree then Ancestry would probably be best for you. Just beware that many ancestry trees are copied from others and often have the wrong information and often will not respond to your requests. Also Ancestry g hints are often very wide of the marl. The advice would be to make sure you know your own tree well with the certs to back it up before you have any online tree.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 15-01-19, 13:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                    However if you want to met others researching same tree then Ancestry would probably be best for you. Just beware that many ancestry trees are copied from others and often have the wrong information and often will not respond to your requests. Also Ancestry g hints are often very wide of the marl. The advice would be to make sure you know your own tree well with the certs to back it up before you have any online tree.

Janet
                    Thank you Janet, yes, I think that is what puts me off Ancestry trees, dozens of people having the same wrong information but because there are more of them than the one of you they are right, it makes me cross how many people just copy everything down without checking and of course the more people that copy the worse it gets. I'm going to have to have a real think about all of this.
                    Margaret

Comment

Partial lines from my tree appear on 40 trees on nearly every online platform out there and none match my research with much accuracy. They are all based on one huge 50k name tree I found about 12 years ago. Every one of them has a female death noted in the 1720's and her son being born in the 1840's. Wikitree suggests she lived for over 160 years and had 37 children. On another line two babies died in the 1840's, I've got the certs, burial records, plot numbers and newspaper cuttings but every other tree has them through to the 1911 census. There's even a tree out there that has me down as the son of my half sister, allegedly living people are "private" but our names are there, and there's a birth ref against my entry that doesn't match me for name, district or year.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Yes, I have seen trees where my relatives appear as 5 year old grandfathers and 150 year old mothers of 55 children. No one ever seems interested in correcting them so I leave comments in the forlorn hope that just one person will stop and think. It is the main reason I never share my tree. If a contact passes my research 101 examination, lol, I drip.feed information. I can think of only one contact who kept coming back for more AND asked sensible questions about how I knew A was A and not B. I was happy to give him the part of my tree which concerned him and we still collaborate occasionally.

I have several trees on line but they are fishing trees, tailored to attract information I need. They are accurate, but very simplified. Tribal Pages has been good for me (free version). Lost Cousins matched me with mybrother, lol, but no one else. Shame, it was a very good idea in theory. GR, despite its awful tree programme, gave me the best contact I've ever had, a completely unknown branch of my family which had died out as far as official records went. I have never had any other useful contact on there. Thinking about it, most of my useful contacts have come via googling an ancestors name and thus finding a post on some forum or other.

OC

Comment

I'm related to the Beechey Brothers (5 brothers killed in WWI) and through googling had a contact in the New Year that confirmed much of what I thought about the living Beechey descendants but for the last couple of years new names aren't really a priority, it's more about meat on the bones through newspapers and such. Recently I found some news articles about my Master Mariner and loss of his ship, tat led me to a Heritage website with some details about the owners and ship specs. I'm about to print out a copyright disclaimer so they can use the results of my research in a museum display and digital format.

Google and Ebay has landed dozens of postcards taken by one of the Goulson family plus some more bottles and several indentures across different Goulson branches too, the earliest is 1770.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

I have several trees on line but they are fishing trees, tailored to attract information I need. They are accurate, but very simplified.

OC
                            Yes I would agree with this as a vey good idea. My own online trees tend to be in this vein and you can strategically put down only the ancestors you want to know more about. In the past most of my contacts came through sited like roots web and Family History sites though not sure how affective that is these days?

I also think it very much depends on your own research and countries of interest. Although I have many ancestors emigrating to the USA/Canada and Australia my main countries of interest going back to the 1600's are Ireland, Scotland and England and I find that FMP is the best site for those countries. FMP have many more parish records of interest to me than Ancestry and that is why I have found their hints system particularly good as they have often pointed to me a possible direction O had not previously thought of. I have had two recent hints one of which might break down a brick wall but I need to get the certificate to be sure. For years I have been looking for a Scottish death and never found him. Then one day FMP hint suggest a death in Liverpool of a person of same name I am looking for around the time I am interested in and though dying in Liverpool he is actually buried in Tullialian, the same place where I am looking for my ancestor. This might well be the one I am looking for.

Recently contacts are coming through DNA on Ancestry, some initiated by me and others contacting me so there are many ways to contact others.

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 15-01-19, 21:38.

Comment

Find My Past

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                              Thank you Janet, yes, I think that is what puts me off Ancestry trees, dozens of people having the same wrong information but because there are more of them than the one of you they are right, it makes me cross how many people just copy everything down without checking and of course the more people that copy the worse it gets. I'm going to have to have a real think about all of this.
                              Yes alot of people do put wrong information on their tree on Ancestry I am forever contacting people, they do change it & thank me

Comment

I also use Lost Cousins but although I seem to have entered hundreds of people I never get any contacts and apparently I haven't enough names entered to be able to join their Forum, so that seems to be another lost cause.
                                I loved lost cousins in the early stages of my research. It was such a simple idea and free and it did work. I didint realise they had a forum...lol unless thats a new addition Dont know if I have added enough names to qualify..

Comment

I also use Lost Cousins but although I seem to have entered hundreds of people I never get any contacts and apparently I haven't enough names entered to be able to join their Forum, so that seems to be another lost cause.
                                  I have a match in Lost Cousins after being a member since 2004 so be patient ....... !!! No contact yet though, probably because it is somebody who is employed in the house so not much help to anyone.
                                  Caroline
                                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Gloryer

The forum has been going a while. It is a bit elitist for my taste but I haven't looked for a while so that may have changed. Lots of dna stuff on there.

OC

Comment

I also used to be very keen on Lost Cousins but I lost faith with them when I tried to put on 1901 and 1911 Irish Census Info which was not acceptable because I could not give a census reference as you had to have for the English Census. I gave up at that point, many years ago now, and have never really been back to enter more. Maybe that aspect has changed now, I don't know. I still get their newsletter which I find useful

Janet
                                      Last edited by Janet; 16-01-19, 11:22.

Comment

I've recently had a contact via Lost Cousins - first one in ten years. I had one in 2008 and met that cousin when he came to Vancouver. I haven't checked the site myself for a number of years, but perhaps it's time I added more names.
                                        Jenny

Comment

Working...
                                        X