Looking for my swedish old grandfather in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for my swedish old grandfather in the US

Hello, this is a long shot (my last try i guess to find out, no one in my family wants to research this person)

Scroll down if you dont want the backstory.

My father's father's mother (grandfather's mother?)

Jenny Olivia Danielsson (1898 - 1993) gave birth to my grandfather when she was only sixteen and werent married, as you might know Sweden where back then a very christian country and the comunity didnt take this lightly when a bastard son where born.

the man who impregnate her werent man enough and took off, leaving Jenny alone in the northern parts of Sweden (Jämtland county) to take care of here self and her son. She made her own Shotgun amunnition (wolf pellets, buckshots?) and hunted wolves for their skin to sell. Later on she married another and it all worked out.

this man who fled from his responsibility went to USA, and this is why im writing.

Backstory ends

Info about this man:

First Name: Axel
    Surename: Jonsson (EN: Johnson?)
    Born: Somewhere about Jennys age so 1885 - 1898 prehaps
    Born: Sweden, Jämtland (dont know the town)
    Fleed to the USA: Chicago
    Workmanship Carpenter
    ethnicity White
    marital Single
    Children "None"
    Other info I know that my grandpa Walter had to go to Stockholm to the american embassy to recive his heritage (so im pretty sure he didnt had any children in the US) but one thing that amazed me is did he write a will on his dying breath? how could the embassy know that he was the father of Walter?

the only info I have on Axel might not be accurate, but the city and Workmanship seems to be right.
    If so, here is the info I got but I cant verify it:

Name: Axel Johnson
    Date of birth: 14 Jan 1890
    Birtht: Sweden
    Died: 16 Mar 1946
    Place of death: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
    Funeral date: 19 Mar 1946
    burial place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
    burial place name: Irving Pk
    Age of death: 56
    Workmanship: Carpenter
    residence: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
    Fathers name: John Johnson
    Fathers place of birth: Sweden
    Mothers name: Albertina Akholm
    Mothers place of birth: Sweden
    FHL-filmnumber: 1985096

I can find info on all my other relatives who went to the US (what boat, port, what house and so forth but nothing on this man due to the lack of info from my side, but they all went through New york, dont know about this guy, didnt find anything)

/kind regards
    Johan from Sweden

have you looked on familysearch?
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

Hi Val,

Thanks for the quick reply,

yes, its the same info as ancestry's got... its only one file (and its the info that im not sure is correct)
      Chicago is not a port town so to speak so he must have taken the boat to new york but I cant find him in those papers as well....

Comment

When did this man leave Sweden for the US?

Was it before your grandfather's birth, or after it?

That just narrows the time period for searching entry into the US, eg through Ellis Island, or censuses.

You have checked Ellis Island records, have you not?
        Last edited by Sylvia C; 12-01-19, 23:54. Reason: spelling mistake
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Hi Sylvia,

ive tried Ellis Island records but I couldnt find "Axel Johnson/jonsson" + "Jämtland/Jamtland" only "Axel jonsson + sweden" and I think the timeline was off as well.
          He must have left arount the birth -1, = to +1 year.

Ive also tried to search "Axel Jonsson" in the town "Stugun" where Jenny was born but didnt find anything....

Comment

I found this version of his death on FamilySearch, it gives a little more information

He died 16 March 1946, buried 19 March 1946

His address was 5835 N Wastenaw Ave, Chicago, Cook, Illinois

His father is named as John Johnson ..... which doesn't sound right for the Swedish name!

Mother's name Albertina Akholm

the informant was Minnie Johnson ...... but it states that he was single, so who is she??
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

so your grandfather was born 1914?

Comment

Yes, this is very strange, ive tried to search "Jon Jonsson" "John" "Johan" and so forth and I came up with nothing... and "Albertina Akholm" never heard a swede with that name... but Minnie Johnson is a name I havent researched yet....

my grandfather:
                Walter Edström
                1913–2005
                BORN 16 JULY 1913 • Nyhem, Jämtland, Sweden
                DEATH 3 JUNE 2005 • Bräcke, Jämtland, Sweden

Comment

???????????????????

from FindMyPast

1940 US Census

Minnie Johnson Head Widowed Female 54 1886 Sweden
                  Axel Johnson Brother Single Male 50 1890 Sweden
                  Lester Johnson Son Single Male 24 1916 Illinois
                  Elsie Johnson Daughter Single Female 21 1919 Illinois
                  Mildred Johnson Daughter Single Female 15 1925 Illinois

Address:- Washington Avenue

they'd been living there since at least 1935
                  Last edited by Sylvia C; 13-01-19, 00:36.

Comment

Minnie, Lester, Elsie and Mildred, + another son Herbert (b.1915) are on the 1930 Census. But no Axel

Minnie is widowed, says she arrived in the US at the age of 26 in 1907

Address:- 5835 Washtenaw Avenue

Looking at the 1940 census image again, the address is 5835 N. Washtenaw Avenue

It does not ask when arrived in US

Comment

In the 1920 Census

Minnie is married to Albin Johnson, b. 1888, Sweden, entered US 1907 but Minnie's date Unknown

Albin was a Carpenter

Lived at 4863 Rockwell St

Comment

????????????

from FamilySearch

A Minnie Johnson married an Axel Albin Johnson 1 March 1913, Rock Island, Illinois

Comment

Minnie died in 1973 .... and there is a better spelling of the mother's name!

Died 11 Feb 1973; Buried 14 Feb 1973
                          Address 5835 Washtenaw Avenue
                          Father John Johnson
                          Mother Albertina Eckholm
                          Informant Georgianna Pierluissi

I can see where "Eckholm" might have been mis-heard by an American as "Akholm"
                          Last edited by Sylvia C; 13-01-19, 03:47.

Comment

I think your next step probably should be tracing up the children of Minnie and Axel Johnson, and their children, to see if they have any memories of your Axel Johnson.

Comment

Hi again Sylvia,

Thanks for the information, but the thing that bothers me is that "Axel Jonsson" is just from "Sweden" is was a really common name back then... but I will try to search for Minnie...

Some news: Ive got in touch with an relative that says that Axel wasnt from "Jämtland" he was from "Västernorrland" from a town called "Loviken" (just on the border between Jämtland and Västernorrland) and the nearest town with an bigger population and a church was "Holm" but I still cant find an axel who went from there to the states.

Comment

Found Axel Albin's WW1 Reg card, he was born in Karlskoja, Sweden

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Minnie and Albin A. Johnson, he died 1928

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                                  X