Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 register

Hi,

You've all been helpful so far this week so another one to look at if you would be so kind

I'm after Clifford Garlick b.1921, Windsor, Berkshire. He joined the army in 1941 but can't see him on the 1939 register!

Thanks

Any idea who else might be in the household,

Comment

you sure he wasn't in the army in 1939 ?

Comment

Well maybe I guess but you found his attestation for 1941 so I guessed he wasn't then??

Comment

yes but I did wonder about that, I always thought though ,that men would have been called up earlier than that?

Comment

Guess I'll have to wait for his records

Comment

have you sent for them ?

Comment

OH's father volunteered the day after war was declared ............. he was an optician with certain specific abilities and he wanted to be in the RN.

He wasn't actually called up for service until 1941

He became an Articifer, with the rank of CPO .......... and loved being able to ream out junior level officers when they'd done something stupid that led to him having to repair binoculars etc .... such as leaving them hanging in 100F heat :D . He apparently always ended his lecture/telling off with a loud "..... SIR!"

Somewhere we have his record of service (not sure what the true name is) .......... the folder he had to carry with him when reporting to a new ship. No mentions of insubordination!

BTW ......... this record really gives little information. It's really the date he was posted to a ship and the date when he left. Sometimes his conduct is stated.

It does not give any information on where the ships were or where they went while he was on board ......... in other words, no help at all in finding out where he went or what he did.

We do know some places and some of what he did, from tales he told and letters he sent to his young son with stamps of the various places.

I have an ivory necklace composed of very complicated tiny balls that he bought around 1943/44 in Alexandria for his wife ............... of course, I can't wear it now! But it is evidence that he was in that area!
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

His parents appear here with 3 redacted records below them.
                  Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

If you think he is one of these, send in his death cert. & he will be revealed.
                  Glen

Comment

If you mean Clifford M W Garlick you will remember from my post #5 on this thread - https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...33-War-records that he didn't die until 2000. So he wouldn't be showing yet.

p.s. They had three children including Clifford between marriage and 1939, so the three redacted are likely to include him.
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 10-01-19, 08:47.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Val - not yet, waiting for the printer at work to be fixed to print the forms off

Oakum - thanks

Chrissie - yes thats him. I didn't realise there was a certain time before they are shown once deceased - is there a time limit?

Thanks

Comment

Not so much a time limit, but they are adding years gradually and I don't know where they are up to yet. As I believe has been mentioned before though you can send a copy of his death certificate and ask for it to be opened.
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Tessie .............

no person shown as being less than 100 years old is opened on the 1939 Register

The Register was updated during the war, and then it formed the basis of the NHS in 1947, and they maintained deaths and marriages until about 1991, when computerisation of records began.

No updating was done after 1991, so FMP and ancestry have a LOT of work to do in attempting the project.

Not to mention all the Brits who left the UK and died overseas.

I think it will be a VERY slow process unless people send in death certificates etc for their own family members.

I have an aunt, uncle and 5 of their 6 children who all emigrated around 1960. The aunt, uncle and 3 of the 5 are now dead, as well as the one who stayed in the UK. No-one has sent in death certificates, and all have children who are doing family history. Aunt and uncle should be opened fairly soon by either FMP or ancestry, as both were born before 1900.

I've found the closed records on the street where I know they lived, but I can't afford to get all those death certificates!
                          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

It is my understanding that the records have been updated very recently by comparing dates of birth on the register with dates of birth as given on death records. I am sure I read somewhere that had opened about 2 million more records.

Of course that will not have picked up death records with the wrong date of birth or those who died abroad, etc.

OC

Comment

well, what do you know!

My aunt and uncle are now open records :D

So someone at FMP must be also looking at early birth dates actually in the record

Their 6 children are all still closed.

Their records have also been opened on Ancestry

Comment

... and another little tidbit added to the family story.

I was much younger than those cousins, so have been learning about their life as teenagers and young adults as I've gone along.

I knew the second youngest had been married, divorced, then remarried, but nothing about the partners. Looking at that 1939 Register, I suddenly spotted the surname of the couple next door ...........

yes, searching records, showed cousin married the boy-next-door, but it didn't last.

Comment

Working...
                                X