Family tree maker version 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family tree maker version 10?

I have an opportunity through EBay to purchase Family Tree Maker Version 10. This would be my first genealogy software. I am new to this and would like to take what I have on Ancestry.com and have it on my computer. Not sure if I should purchase the seller says it was used once. It’s a good price I think at under $20.

I need a user friendly software is this the right software for me? Also what happens with all the documents I have attached to my Ancestry tree will they transfer over to Family Tree Maker? My fear is if I buy it I will not be able to use it easily.

Thanks,

I believe that's a really old version of the program. I think it might be a waste of money.
    Anne

Comment

The only version of FTM that will upload both a gedcom and Media files from Ancestry is FTM17 - https://www.mackiev.com/ftm/

I would be very wary of buying that version from ebay. You do not know for sure that it is "clean" and early versions of FTM are no longer supported.

It is always a good idea to download your media files to your computer as you find them eg BMD and census images as you cannot download media items en bloc from Ancestry unless you sync them to FTM.

There are several free software programmes to which you can upload a gedcom:

The best genealogy sites can help you look into the past to improve your future.

I would definitely download the gedcom from Ancestry to your computer then to eg cloud or other external backup system to keep it safe.

Edit: I agree with Anne, it's very old!
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 08-01-19, 13:40.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

There are some really good Genealogy software programmes out there and posters on here may recommend other programmes to use.
        If you do not have a big tree on Ancestry then (like me!) you could spend some time downloading individually all your media files to your computer and then upload them to the programme of your eventual choice.
        Here is a review of some software that you could buy:

Last edited by Katarzyna; 08-01-19, 14:02.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I did not realize it was that old. Will NOT be buying Version 10 of FTM, thanks for the headups up on that. Can I download the gedcom from ancestry.com to my computer before buying software to add it to? I have know idea what or how to prepare a gedcom file??? Is it complicated??

Comment

Watch this video, but remember a Gedcom file is just textual information about the tree structure etc and does not include any images etc that are on Ancestry

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I didn't think it would be that easy thanks, it's done! GEDCOM file is now on my desktop. The big task is getting all the source data from my tree. I have a few items I saved as an image and uploaded to the tree but most was saved from Ancestry searches. :( UGH! wish there was an easy way to get all the sources together in one place without having to click on each individual profile and then facts to do a save as to my computer. Any suggestions for the future? Should I do a save as first then upload to the profiles? It seems like double the work if I do it that way. I'm so new at this I still need to get more organized and establish procedures that will make my life easier when I find new sources.

Comment

The only real option is to purchase software that does the two-way sync, such as FTM17, otherwise you have to do the manual way as you are.

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thank you, I will look into FTM17.

Comment

Working...
                  X