Arneil of Glasgow 1700's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arneil of Glasgow 1700's

I am wondering if I am pushing the boundaries of reality here and would value others opinion.

Mary Arneil married John Muir, a merchant in Glasgow 15 Nov 1776, I know I am on the right track with these two as both surnames appear as supplementary names in a later generation. The father is given as John Arneil

I have found a christening on family search for Mary in 1741 to John Arneil and Jean Orchart. However I couldn't find a suitable marriage until I widened the search. Finding several further children with variants of Orchart. It was when I was saying the name in my head that I came up with Urquhart. Then I found more children and a marriage for John Arneil and Jean Urqhart in 1721. I have viewed the image on scotlandspeople but there is no other information than the bride and grooms names.

But this does appear a very broad time line for child bearing but not impossible, these are the christenings I have found under variants of both names:
    William 1722, Jane 1724, Jean 1727 & 1734, cannot find a death on either familysearch or scotlands people, David, 1732, Agnes 1736, John 1738,
    MARY 1741 and James 1745.

So can anyone assert they have the same feelings as myself that this could be the right parents or whether there are other possibilities. I have bought credits with SP, so am happy to use them, but do not want to waste them.

I have not renewed my FMP sub but have Ancestry.

Many thanks
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Have you looked for a death of Mary Muir. If after 1855, should give parents' names if known to informant

Edit. Sorry tried to delete. I was noting marriage date instead of dob.

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 06-01-19, 15:14.

Comment

No worries Vera, all the dates do get jumbled up and of course the naming patterns don't help.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I've not gone that far back with my Scottish ancestors.
        However, Arneil is a good name and looking at the marriages on SP would think the 1721 is a good bet for the parents of your Mary Muir.
        The other marriages would not fit with a child b1741.

Wonder if there is a MI somewhere for Mary Muir in Glasgow? I can see a possible death for Mary Muir on SP - Glasgow 1808 aged 66.

Vera
        Last edited by vera2013; 07-01-19, 02:08.

Comment

Following the theme of Orchart = Urquhart, perhaps Arneil = O'Neil.

Although how that would help, I do not know!

Comment

Thank you OC, I will keep it in mind as a root name.

No clues on the Mary Muir death, just cause, declin(e). I suppose I was hoping for too much re widow or wife of.
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
            X