Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Penny

Born in London but now living on East Sussex coast

Death Penny

I watched an episode of My Family Secrets Revealed a while ago and one of the participants received a duplicate Death Penny for a deceased relative. My great grandfather died in WW1. His body was never found and his name appears on the Thiepval Monument. At the time of his death he was separated from his wife and his WW1 will states his brother as n-o-k, I have no idea where his medals or Death Penny were sent.

Any ideas whether it is possible to obtain a duplicate Death Penny and where from, or was the one on this program given out because the TV cameras were there?

Many thanks

Bev
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

I saw that programme but don't know the answer.

We don't know where my Grandads medals went. My grandma moved when the area she lived in was demolished and we think she just threw everything away. When she died about 20 years later there were no old photos or anything in the house.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

you can sometimes get copies of the medals, and quite often there will be a note in the army records, saying who received them.
    Have you seen his army records?
    If you'd like to give his name ,maybe we can find his records/
    Last edited by Val wish Id never started; 04-01-19 at 21:03.

Val

Quote Originally Posted by r642611 View Post
    I watched an episode of My Family Secrets Revealed a while ago and one of the participants received a duplicate Death Penny for a deceased relative. My great grandfather died in WW1. His body was never found and his name appears on the Thiepval Monument. At the time of his death he was separated from his wife and his WW1 will states his brother as n-o-k, I have no idea where his medals or Death Penny were sent.

Any ideas whether it is possible to obtain a duplicate Death Penny and where from, or was the one on this program given out because the TV cameras were there?

Many thanks

Bev
    Your great grandfather's attestation papers would name his next of kin and he or she would have received his effects, pay due and any medals including the death penny.

I believe the one shown in the program had been cast by one of the replica firms for the show.
    Cheers
    Guy
    A forum is a place where ideas & views can be exchanged
    I read what others write & add my view or idea based on a lifetime of research
    Some people agree with me some disagree that is their prerogative & valued
    If I add a previous posting it is to remind forum users of the post I am replying to
    If I am addressing a particular person I will address them by name
    If not I am making a general comment to no one in particular.

Thanks to all who responded to my thread.

Val and Guy
    My great grandfather was Charles Crush serving in 5th Battn Dorsetshire Regt, a Pte Service No 14857. I have tried to obtain his army records etc through the Dorsetshire Regt Museum but was told that all their records were destroyed and nothing survives. All I have is a copy of the will he left in his paybook leaving anything to his brother John. If the medals/Death Penny still exist I have no idea where they are. I have used a company that sells copy medals in the past but was unable to find anyone that would engrave details around the edge!
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by r642611 View Post
    Thanks to all who responded to my thread.

Val and Guy
    My great grandfather was Charles Crush serving in 5th Battn Dorsetshire Regt, a Pte Service No 14857. I have tried to obtain his army records etc through the Dorsetshire Regt Museum but was told that all their records were destroyed and nothing survives. All I have is a copy of the will he left in his paybook leaving anything to his brother John. If the medals/Death Penny still exist I have no idea where they are. I have used a company that sells copy medals in the past but was unable to find anyone that would engrave details around the edge!
    I didn't think that replacement/replica medals were supposed to be engraved with details of a soldier?????

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Oops! Mea Culpa. I didn't know that, thanks Janet.

Do you have this

Charles
    Last name Crush
    Service number 14857
    Rank Private
    Regiment Dorsetshire Regiment
    Battalion 5th Battalion.
    Residence -
    Birth place Writton, Essex
    Enlistment place Southwark, Kent
    Death year 1916
    Death day 19
    Death month 9
    Cause of death Killed in action
    Death place France & Flanders
    Theatre of war Western European Theatre
    Supplementary Notes -
    Category Military, armed forces & conflict
    Subcategory First World War
    Last edited by Val wish Id never started; 06-01-19 at 14:40.

Val

Charles
    Last name Crush
    Year 1914-20
    Service number 14857
    Second service number 14857
    Rank Private,Private
    Second rank Private
    Regiment Dorsetshire Regiment, 2nd Dorsetshire Regiment
    Second corps 2nd Dorsetshire Regiment
    Service record Soldier Number: 14857, Rank: Private, Corps: Dorsetshire Regiment
    Second service record Soldier Number: 14857, Rank: Private, Corps: 2nd Dorsetshire Regiment
    Image link
    Country Great Britain
    Medal type British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920
    Archive reference WO372/5
    Archive reference description Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards
    Record set Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards
    Category Military, armed forces & conflict
    Subcategory Medal Rolls and Honours
    Collections from Great Britain, UK None
    Last edited by Val wish Id never started; 06-01-19 at 14:44.

Val