Death Penny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Penny

I watched an episode of My Family Secrets Revealed a while ago and one of the participants received a duplicate Death Penny for a deceased relative. My great grandfather died in WW1. His body was never found and his name appears on the Thiepval Monument. At the time of his death he was separated from his wife and his WW1 will states his brother as n-o-k, I have no idea where his medals or Death Penny were sent.

Any ideas whether it is possible to obtain a duplicate Death Penny and where from, or was the one on this program given out because the TV cameras were there?

Many thanks

Bev
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

I saw that programme but don't know the answer.

We don't know where my Grandads medals went. My grandma moved when the area she lived in was demolished and we think she just threw everything away. When she died about 20 years later there were no old photos or anything in the house.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

you can sometimes get copies of the medals, and quite often there will be a note in the army records, saying who received them.
      Have you seen his army records?
      If you'd like to give his name ,maybe we can find his records/
      Last edited by Guest; 04-01-19, 20:03.

Comment

Ebay have quite a few on sale

Comment

Thanks to all who responded to my thread.

Val and Guy
          My great grandfather was Charles Crush serving in 5th Battn Dorsetshire Regt, a Pte Service No 14857. I have tried to obtain his army records etc through the Dorsetshire Regt Museum but was told that all their records were destroyed and nothing survives. All I have is a copy of the will he left in his paybook leaving anything to his brother John. If the medals/Death Penny still exist I have no idea where they are. I have used a company that sells copy medals in the past but was unable to find anyone that would engrave details around the edge!
          Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Originally posted by r642611 View Post
            Thanks to all who responded to my thread.

Val and Guy
            My great grandfather was Charles Crush serving in 5th Battn Dorsetshire Regt, a Pte Service No 14857. I have tried to obtain his army records etc through the Dorsetshire Regt Museum but was told that all their records were destroyed and nothing survives. All I have is a copy of the will he left in his paybook leaving anything to his brother John. If the medals/Death Penny still exist I have no idea where they are. I have used a company that sells copy medals in the past but was unable to find anyone that would engrave details around the edge!
            I didn't think that replacement/replica medals were supposed to be engraved with details of a soldier?????

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Oops! Mea Culpa. I didn't know that, thanks Janet.

Comment

Do you have this

Charles
                Last name Crush
                Service number 14857
                Rank Private
                Regiment Dorsetshire Regiment
                Battalion 5th Battalion.
                Residence -
                Birth place Writton, Essex
                Enlistment place Southwark, Kent
                Death year 1916
                Death day 19
                Death month 9
                Cause of death Killed in action
                Death place France & Flanders
                Theatre of war Western European Theatre
                Supplementary Notes -
                Category Military, armed forces & conflict
                Subcategory First World War
                Last edited by Guest; 06-01-19, 13:40.

Comment

Charles
                  Last name Crush
                  Year 1914-20
                  Service number 14857
                  Second service number 14857
                  Rank Private,Private
                  Second rank Private
                  Regiment Dorsetshire Regiment, 2nd Dorsetshire Regiment
                  Second corps 2nd Dorsetshire Regiment
                  Service record Soldier Number: 14857, Rank: Private, Corps: Dorsetshire Regiment
                  Second service record Soldier Number: 14857, Rank: Private, Corps: 2nd Dorsetshire Regiment
                  Image link
                  Country Great Britain
                  Medal type British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920
                  Archive reference WO372/5
                  Archive reference description Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards
                  Record set Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards
                  Category Military, armed forces & conflict
                  Subcategory Medal Rolls and Honours
                  Collections from Great Britain, UK None
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-01-19, 13:44.

Comment

do you have Ancestry

Comment

maybe you'd like to update this

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        his will is available here if you dont have it
                        https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk...False#soldiers
                        Thanks for this Val. I do have Ancestry and knew about his name on the Thiepval Monument. A few years ago whilst on holiday in France near to WW1 battle sites I visited the Monument and found his name there. I also found a cemetary where a great-uncle on my Mum's side was buried. (Killed 2 birds with one stone, as it were!)

Comment

Working...
                        X