1921 Census ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1921 Census ??

Hi, will we have to wait until 2021 to see the publication of the census - or maybe it will be released early like the 1911 ???
    Skylark.
    Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

I heard on My Family Secrets programme on Tele that it was going to be 2022 before it is released.

I've not had a look but just remembered that 1911 was released early and thought that this one might be.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I think they were loathe to release censuses early in case they contained 'live people'. What happens now people are living longer ie over 100 years of age?
      Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

I'm sure if I got to 100 I would love to see my name on an old document. But not everyone knows the truth about their past. Perhaps I might have a shock as well. Who knows!!!
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Yeah that living to 100 thing got me when searching for a death, I stopped looking 100 years after the birth, and she lived until the first quarter of the following year!!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

And beware of GRO transcriptions sowing a death as 'born about 2006' when in fact it should read 1905!! I saw this very recently and thought the transcription couldn't cope with numbers more than 100.
            Anne

Comment

My understanding was that the government had promised in 1921 that the census would not be released fro 100 years in order to get people to fill in the forms, and thus they are very unlikely to release it until then.

It presumably will then be released to FindMyPast or Ancestry to be transcribed/digitised or whatever they do, and will then be released at an extra cost by whichever company got it. It might be 2022 or even later before it comes into what might be called "general release, without any extra charges.
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                I'm sure if I got to 100 I would love to see my name on an old document. But not everyone knows the truth about their past. Perhaps I might have a shock as well. Who knows!!!
                My granny was very amused to see herself on the 1901 census - it took me ages to find her as their everyday names had been used rather than their Sunday names. Her name was Kathleen Mary aka Molly and she died in Dec 2003 a month short of 106.

Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that if it remains in the GRO possession it can't be released until the 100 yrs have passed BUT if it goes to TNA then they can release it anytime.

seems that they don't have any issue with the 1939 register being 'out there' yet the 1921 census there is the 100 yr rule. blooming daft if you ask me!
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Guy

PS the 1939 National Registration was not a census and does not come under the Census Act, 1920 & the Census (Confidentiality) Act 1991, that is why, there is a difference and why I could get it and the 1911 census released early.
                    I was going to do the same for the 1921 census just after my success with the 1939 but there was no support from the Federation of Family History Societies,
                    Family History Societies themselves or from individual family historians so I dropped the attempt.
                    Thank you for what you did get released, but why no support for the 1921? Or maybe you would prefer not to say/speculate.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

PS the 1939 National Registration was not a census and does not come under the Census Act, 1920 & the Census (Confidentiality) Act 1991, that is why, there is a difference and why I could get it and the 1911 census released early.
                      I was going to do the same for the 1921 census just after my success with the 1939 but there was no support from the Federation of Family History Societies,
                      Family History Societies themselves or from individual family historians so I dropped the attempt.
                      Thank you Guy, I should have realised about the 1939 :emb:
                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 05-01-19, 09:59.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Please don't drop the attempt to get it released early Guy!

Is it too late for you to reconsider?

Holly.

Comment

Holly .... everything I have seen on other sites seem to indicate that there is little interest.

BUT it is only 3 years to wait!
                          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                          X